B.A. in Malayalam is a 3-year undergraduate non-technical course, focusing on the core Malayalam language, its origin, history, etc. The course is more in demand in the Southern part of the country as Malayalam is one of the main languages of that region.
This language-based course includes components of study such as:
- Literary Criticism
- Drama, etc.
|Bachelor of Arts in Kerala||Bachelor of Arts in Tamil Nadu||Bachelor of Arts in Andhra Pradesh||Bachelor of Arts in Puducherry|
The topics covered within the course’s curriculum include:
- Kavitha Samkramam
- Nadakaum Cinemaum
- Loka Kavyangal Mathrukakal
- Samoohika Parinamam, and such.
The course can be pursued after successful completion of the 10+2 level of education in any stream from a recognized educational Board.
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Customer Service Associate
- Personnel Manager
- Political Scientist
- Relation Executive
- Sales Coordinator
- Interpreter (from one language to other)
- Content Writer/ Editor
- Part Time Trainer – Malayalam
- Assistant Professor – Malayalam
- Data Entry Operator
- Tele-caller, etc.
The average course fee charge in India ranges between INR 2,000 - 4 lacs for the total duration.
The average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 4 and 10 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Malayalam)
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Malayalam) in Kerala
- BA in Delhi-NCR
- BA in Maharashtra
- BA in Chennai
- BA in Uttar Pradesh
- BA in Telangana
B.A. in Malayalam: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Academic Institutes, Journals, News Agencies, Photography Companies, Printing Companies, Private organization Advertising Agencies, TV Channels, Translation and other language services, Tourism etc.|
|Job Positions||Consultant, Teacher, Customer Service Associate, Personnel Manager, Economist, Sociologist, Political Scientist, Relation Executive, Sales Coordinator, Interpreter (from one language to other), Content Writer - Editor, Actor, Translator, Part Time Trainer – Malayalam, Assistant Professor - Malayalam Journalism, Data Entry Operator, Tele-caller etc.|
B.A. in Malayalam: What is it About?
This course has been designed for candidates who:
The program aims to familiarize eligible candidates with:
- common nouns for effective communication.
- common verbs for developing effective communication.
- pragmatic information of correspondence and viable written work through the investigation of Malyali poetry.
- figures of speech and their usage.
- the language’s verbal structures
Top Institutes offering B.A. in Malayalam
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Presidency College||Chennai||INR 1,245 (course)|
|Madras Christian College||Chennai||INR 18,719 (course)|
|Government Victoria College||Palakkad||INR 4,500 (course)|
|Maharaja's College||Ernakulam||INR 1,985 (course)|
|University Of Calicut||Calicut||INR 1,127 (course)|
|Farook College||Kozhikode||INR 2,040 (course)|
|Bharata Mata College||Kochi||INR 15,000 (course)|
|Archbishop Powathil Assumption Community College||Kottayam||INR 1,000 (course)|
|Assumption College||Kottayam||INR 2,922 (course)|
|Baselius College||Kottayam||INR 18,000 (course)|
|Bishop Kurialacherry College For Women||Kottayam||INR 1,314 (course)|
|Bishop Moore College||Mavelikara||INR 3,005 (course)|
|CMS College||Kottayam||INR 4,840 (course)|
|Christ College Irinjalakuda||Thrissur||INR 2,730 (course)|
|Christian College||Chengannur||INR 7,050 (course)|
|Co-Operative Arts & Science College||Kannur||INR 1,575 (course)|
|Deva Matha College||Kottayam||INR 1,953 (course)|
|Devaswom Board College||Kottayam||INR 18,000 (course)|
|Ettumanoorappan College||Kottayam||INR 18,000 (course)|
|Fatima Mata National College||Kollam||INR 18,000 (course)|
|Government Brennen College||Thalasery||INR 4,808 (course)|
|Government College||Malappuram||INR 1,705 (course)|
Eligibility for B.A. in Malayalam
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- 10+2 education completed in any stream from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Basic proficiency in Malyali.
B.A. in Malayalam: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
Some such institutes that hold entrance exams in India for admission to the course are:
- Presidency College Entrance Exam
- Madras Christian College Entrance Exam
- Government Victoria College Entrance Exam
- Maharaja's College Entrance Exam
- University of Calicut Entrance Exam
- Farook College Entrance Exam
- Bharata Mata College Entrance Exam
- Archbishop Powathil Assumption Community College Entrance Exam
- Assumption College Entrance Exam
- Baselius College Entrance Exam
- Bishop Kurialacherry College for Women Entrance Exam
- Bishop Moore College Entrance Exam
- Cms College Entrance Exam
- Christ College Irinjalakuda Entrance Exam
- Christian College Entrance Exam
- Co-Operative Arts & Science College Entrance Exam
- Deva Matha College Entrance Exam
- Devaswom Board College Entrance Exam
- Ettumanoorappan College Entrance Exam
- Fatima Mata National College Entrance Exam
- Government Brennen College Entrance Exam
- Government College Entrance Exam.
Latest Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Malayalam) Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
B.A. in Malayalam: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Foundation Course – Language-1 (Optional)||Foundation Course-Language-2 (Optional)|
|Foundation Course- English-1||Foundation Course-English-2|
|Early Modern Poetry||Modern Poetry|
|Cultural History of Ancient Kerala||Cultural History Of Modern Kerala|
|Optional A) Writings for Print Media B)Functional Malayalam||Optional A) Writings for Visual Media B) Comparative Literature|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Foundation Course-Language-3 (Optional)||Foundation Course- Language-4 (Optional)|
|Foundation Course-English-3||Foundation Course- English|
|History of Ancient Malayalam Literature||History of Modern Malayalam Literature|
|Fiction||Introduction to Malayalam Software|
|Optionals: SanskritVisual and Performing Arts||Optionals: General Linguistics Screen Play and Film studies|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Prosody and Poetics||Malayalam Grammar|
|Literary Theories||Literary Criticism|
|Ancient and Medieval Literature||General Prose|
|Special Paper (Optional): Folkloristic Feminist Literary Theory and Criticism||Special Paper (Optional): Introduction to Cultural Studies Eco Aesthetics|
B.A. in Malayalam: Career Prospects
Such professionals can explore career options such as:
- Private tutors.
- Consecutive Interpreters
- General Interpreter
- Liaison Interpreter.
Translators work in fields such as:
- publishing and journalism
Freelancers work across areas such as:
- research firms
- translation bureaus
- publishing houses
- international organizations
- hotel industry
- travel and tourism sector as travel guides.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Teacher||A Teacher is responsible for teaching and guiding students, and creating appropriate lesson plans for imparting learning. Also, they track student progress and work with school administration, and train students for standardized tests.||3,01,462|
|Professor||Professors teach students a wide range of subjects at the post-secondary level. They deliver scholarly articles, perform research, and instruct in the discipline.||913,657|
Content Editors are in charge of all parts of written material, including improvement, outline, creation, introduction, assessment and investigation, to name a few.
They utilize information and criticism from clients to help assess and improve the quality of composed written material.
|Political scientist||Political scientists study the beginning, origin, development, and operation of political frameworks. They examine political ideas and examine governments, arrangements, policies, political patterns, and related issues.||3,20,333|