MD in Endocrinology is a 2- year full- time program in the branch of medicine which deals with the endocrine, its diseases, its specific secretions called hormones, the integration of developmental events such as proliferation, growth, and differentiation, and the coordination of metabolism, respiration, excretion, movement, reproduction, and sensory perception depending on chemical cues, substances synthesized and secreted by specialized cells. The medical specialty of endocrinology involves the diagnostic evaluation of a wide variety of symptoms and variations and the long-term management of disorders of deficiency or excess of one or more hormones. An endocrinologist is a doctor who has studied on an advanced level the endocrine system and its diseases. These doctors know how to diagnose the diseases of the endocrine glands, and also how to treat them.
Top Colleges for Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Endocrinology)
- MD in Delhi-NCR
- MD in Maharashtra
- MD in Chennai
- MD in Uttar Pradesh
- MD in Telangana
MD in Endocrinology: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Duration||2 years (Full- time)|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in M.B.B.S or equivalent degree in medicine|
|Admission Process||Entrance test or direct admission in some cases|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 15, 00, 000|
|Average Starting salary||INR 2, 00, 000 to 7, 00, 000|
Top Institutes Offering MD in Endocrinology
Compiled here is a list of the top institutes in India offering the course along with their respective locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City|| Fees|
|Narayana Medical college||Nellore||INR 44, 600 P. A|
|Guwahati medical college||Guwahati||INR 39, 500 P. A|
|PGIMER||Chandigarh||INR 19, 500 P. A|
|Seth Gordhandas Sunderdas Medical College||Mumbai||INR 53,644 P. A|
|Andhra Medical College||Vishakhapatnam||INR 40, 200 P. A|
|Osmania Medical College||Hyderabad||INR 1,16,650 P. A|
|Sanjay Gandhi PG Institute of Medical Science||Lucknow||INR 37, 000 P. A|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences||New Delhi||INR 5, 011 P. A|
Eligibility for MD in Endocrinology
Candidates wishing to pursue the course need to have attained the 10+2 qualification with Biology, Chemistry and Physics as main subjects. Additionally, such candidates need to appear for and qualify the relevant competitive entrance exam and pursue an MCI- recognized MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) which is a 5 and a half year- long course and includes a 1-year long compulsory rotating internship. The internship needs to be completed by such candidates by 31st March of the admission year.
MD in Endocrinology: Admission Process
Most of the reputed medical institutes of the country admit students on the basis of their NEET PG entrance exam scores. However, there are a few institutes which conduct their own entrance exams for the PG admissions. One can apply via any of online and offline modes.
Generally, the entrance exam is conducted all over the country in both offline and online modes, around the year, from December to June. Candidates need to be up- to- date with the guidelines for application and last dates of form submission.
Latest Doctorate of Medicine [MD] (Endocrinology) Admission Alert
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) MD Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- CMC Ludhiana PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- NIMHANS UG and PG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Entrance Exam Date, Result
MD in Endocrinology: Syllabus and Course Description
Endocrinology is the advanced study of the endocrine system including its diseases, secretions and conditions that impact hormonal imbalance. The endocrine system consists of glands that secrete hormones into the circulatory system.
The contribution of endocrine systems to homeostasis is the focus of this course. It also examines common clinical presentations and treatment of endocrine disease. Some of the major course objectives are listed here:
- To learn the normal structure, function, and organization of the major components of the endocrine systems in the body.
- To impart advanced training in the regulation of hormonal secretion from the major glands of the body.
- To understand the receptor and post-receptor mechanisms that allows selective expressions of hormonal actions at the cellular level.
- To train eligible candidates in the etiology, pathophysiology, pathology, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of the clinically important disorders of the major components of the endocrine system of the body.
Main subjects covered in the discipline are:
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Neuroendocrinology and pituitary disease
- Growth and maturation
- Adrenal gland and adrenal hormones
- Reproductive endocrinology
- Parathyroid gland, Calcitrophic hormone and bone metabolism
- Endocrinology of pregnancy
- Endocrine tumour syndromes
- Endocrine changes in critically in patient
- Cardiovascular endocrinology
- Immunology and endocrinology
- Clinical epidemiology relevant to endocrinology
- Endocrine involvement in other medical disorders and management of the relevant disorders
- Relevant theoretical aspects of surgical endocrine procedures
- Relevant radiological and medical aspects
- Basic science
- Hormone assay procedures
- Record keeping
- Computer databases for dealing with endocrine disorders
- Clinical, laboratory and basic research including statistical methods.
- Medical Nutrition therapy
- Medical audit
- Extramural training rotation should be encouraged
MD in Endocrinology: Career Prospects
Listed here are some of the popular job positions offered to successful postgraduates of the discipline with the corresponding job descriptions and salaries offered.
|Job title||Average salary||Job Description|
|Physical Therapist||INR 5,45,200 to 6,00,000 P.A.||Responsible for helping people with physical injuries or illnesses in regaining a range of movement and control their pain. They also help people who have lost their motor functions due to accidents, age or illness.|
|Biological Scientist||INR 4,29,000 to 4,55,000v P.A ||Responsible for investigating and diagnosing patients’ illnesses such as HIV, cancer, diabetes, food poisoning, hepatitis and meningitis.|
|Medical Scientist||INR 3,60,400 to 4,23,000 P.A.||Responsible for discovering new methods of enhancing human health. They perform research on specimens such as bacteria and viruses, then regularly perform reviews, clinical investigations and write technical reports during research processes.|
|Dental Hygienist||INR 4,39,800 to 4,98,000 P.A.||Responsible for promoting dental health by completing dental prophylaxis, providing oral cancer screening and radiographic studies.|
|Respiratory Therapist||INR 3,67,400 to 4,00,000 P.A.||Responsible for helping patients accomplish treatment plans and administering treatments such as administering inhalants, operating mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators.|
|Surgical Technologist||INR 2,56,400 to 3,00,000 P.A.||Responsible for sterilizing the operating room and setting tools out on the tables for operation procedures. Before the operation, Surgical Technologists may also position the patient on the table, cover them with drapes and prepare medications and sterile solutions.|