Doctorate of Medicine in Endocrinology is a three years Post Doctorate super-specialty course in the field of medicine. Endocrinology is a branch of medicine that studies the system of endocrine. This branch deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases that affect the human glands. In this course, students learn to treat conditions that are complex and involve many systems of human body.
Top Institutes offering DM Endocrinology are:
- Amrita School of Medicine
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences
- Guwahati Medical College and Hospital
- Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research
Students of DM Endocrinology study the system of glands, their related hormones and problems and solutions within. Hormones are the chemicals released in the body that govern the actions of different organs of the body. Examples of hormones are thyroid hormone, growth hormone and insulin. Each of them is responsible for carrying out different tasks.
The course fees ranges between INR 50,000 - 2 Lacs for the total duration. The probable salaries offered to successful postgraduates in this field are between 10-15 Lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for DM [Endocrinology]
- MD in Delhi-NCR
- MD in Maharashtra
- MD in Chennai
- MD in Uttar Pradesh
- MD in Telangana
DM Endocrinology: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MD/MS from a recognized University|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. However, some colleges may check student's skills in through an entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 2 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 10-15 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||Medanta Hospital, Apollo Super Speciality Hospital, AIIMS, GMC, MMC, CMC, etc|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Clinical Science centers, Medical Research, Teaching and Hospital Management|
|Top Job Profiles||Endocrinologist, Diabetologist, etc.|
DM [Endocrinology]: What is it About?
The course, DM in Endocrinology focuses primarily on the endocrine organs (organs that secrete hormones). These organs are pituitary, thyroid, adrenals, ovaries, testes, and pancreas. Students after studying DM Endocrinology become endocrinologists who are physicians specializing in treating disorders of the endocrine system like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and many others. Under this medical specialty, the diagnostic evaluation of a wide variety of symptoms related to endocrine glands are scanned.
The diseases caused due to dysfunction of endocrine glands are investigated by excitation/stimulation or inhibition/suppression testing. Students need extensive knowledge of clinical chemistry along with biochemistry to understand and imply the uses and limitations of the investigations conducted. Students of DM Endocrinology will conduct diagnostic imaging of endocrine organs.
Majority of endocrine disorders are chronic diseases that need lifelong care and support. Some of the most common and widespread endocrine diseases include diabetes, thyroid and PMS among others. Care needs to be given to patients of diabetes, obesity and other chronic diseases.
DM [Endocrinology]: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course DM [Endocrinology] in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by them
|Name||City||Fees per annum in INR|
|Amrita School of Medicine||Kochi||2 lacs|
|Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences||Vijayawada||25,000|
|Guwahati Medical College and Hospital||Guwahati||50,000|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research||Pudducherry||4,150|
|Lala Lajpat Rai Memorial Medical College||Meerut||1 lac|
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences||Nasik||60,000|
|Narayana Medical College and Hospital||Nellore||70,000|
|Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research||Chandigarh||3,370|
|Rangaraya Medical College||Kakinada||15,200|
|Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences||Lucknow||30,000|
|Seth GS Medical College||Mumbai||29,600|
|Sher-i-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences||Shrinagar||40,000|
|Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences||Tirupati||29,500|
|The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University||Chennai||2,000|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore||1.14 lacs|
Eligibility for DM [Endocrinology]
Aspiring Neurologists who wish to study DM in Endocrinology can opt for this course after completing the following trajectory:
- The students must have completed their 10+2 level of schooling with subjects like biology, chemistry and physics
- The student must have successfully completed their MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) from a reputed college or institution. MBBS is a 5½ years course and includes a one-year internship period as well.
DM [Endocrinology]: Admission Process
Given below are some of the entrance exams for DM Endocrinology:
- All India D.M / M.Ch. Entrance Examination
- All India Institute of Medical Science Entrance Exam (AIIMS)
- Banaras Hindu University Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Super Specialty Entrance Test – DUMET
- University Of Delhi Entrance Exam
Latest DM [Endocrinology] Admission Alert
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) MD Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MD, MS and MDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- CMC Ludhiana PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University MD/MS/MDS Admissions 2019
- NIMHANS UG and PG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Entrance Exam Date, Result
DM [Endocrinology]: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Diabetes Mellitus||Adrenal Gland and Adrenal Hormones||Obesity, Anorexia and Nutrition|
|Thyroid||Reproductive Endocrinology and Sexual Function in males and females||Endocrinology of Pregnancy|
|Neuroendocrinology and Pituitary Disease||Parathyroid Gland||Endocrine Tumor Syndromes|
|Growth and Maturity||Calciotropic hormone and bone metabolism||Endocrine changes in critically ill patients|
|Semester 4||Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Cardiovascular Endocrinology||Relevant theoretical aspects of surgical endocrine procedures||Computer databases for delaying with Endocrine disorders|
|Immunology and Endocrinology||Relevant radiological and nuclear medicine aspects||Clinical, Laboratory and basic research including statistical methods|
|Clinical Epidemiology||Anatomy, Physiology and lab methods of Endocrinology||Medical Nutrition|
|Endocrine involvement in other medical disorders and management of disorders||Hormone assay procedures||Medical Audit|
DM [Endocrinology]: Who should opt?
A person willing to study DM in Endocrinology must possess the following skills. These will help him to fare well in his career ahead.
- A caring personality and humble attitude are the two qualities that are of paramount importance.
- Communication skills are required as the students have to convey their research findings and discuss the treatment with other medical staff.
- Patience and intense interest to hear the patient's side of the story are really important.
- Ability to work as part of a team and capable of working long, irregular hours in high-stress medical environments.
- Good managerial skills are also necessary as you will have to manage other administrative employees.
- Problem-solver by nature. Must have observing, listening and inquisitive appetite.
- Should have reading, enquiring and researching habits to find solutions to difficult issues.
DM [Endocrinology]: Career Prospects
Postgraduates of DM Endocrinology also have a central role as being the coordinators of the multidisciplinary teams. Most endocrinologists have additional training in internal medicine.
Students of DM Endocrinology have a vast career ahead. The opportunity to diagnose and manage complex diseases that relate to endocrine systems is challenging and rewarding. There is a need for highly skilled professionals who can tackle such hurdles
The Clinical services under which the endocrinologist get to work consists of specialised clinics who have a consultative service for transitional care, secondary care, and the community care. The job of an endocrinologist involves both ward based consultations and looking after medical inpatients.
Some of the popular avenues open to postgraduates of DM [Endocrinology] are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Endocrinologist||An endocrinologist is a medical professional who has specializes in the treatment of endocrine diseases. He handles the disorders that affect the endocrine system and hormone dysfunction. These diseases may occur in multiple glands throughout the body that may create problem in reproduction, growth, bone health or metabolism.||20-30 lacs|
|Diabetologists||Diabetologists are those doctors who are licensed and specialize in the sole field of diabetes. These doctors have a background in endocrinology.||10-12 lacs|