B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology is a 3-year undergraduate course in Medical Lab Technology. Medicinal Radiography and Imaging Technology involves the methods and processes used to take internal pictures of the human body parts/ organs, and capacities thereof, for clinical purposes, such as investigation of the body’s normal anatomy and physiology.
Some of the institutes that offer the course in India are listed here:
- Manipal University, Manipal
- Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi
- Sharda University, Greater Noida.
Some of the top entrance tests conducted for admission to the course in India are:
- AIEEE: All India Engineering Entrance Examination
- AICET: All India Common Entrance Test
- IIT JEE: IIT Joint Entrance Examination
- JNU: Engineering Entrance Exam.
The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing the course is a 10+2 or equivalent qualification in the Science stream, from a recognized educational Board, with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam, or merit obtained in the last qualifying exam.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 10,000 to 5 Lacs for a span of 4 years.
Successful graduates of the course can expect anything between INR 3 to 20 lacs as annual salary in the industry, increasing with experience and skillset.
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Medical Advisor, Lead Medical Image Analysis Scientist.
- Marketing Executive, X-ray Technician, Imaging Research Assistant Manager.
- Radiographer, Area Sales Manager, etc.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Science [B.Sc.] (Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology)
- B.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- B.Sc in Maharashtra
- B.Sc in Chennai
- B.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Sc in Telangana
B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course:
|Examination Type||Semester System/ Year wise|
|Eligibility||10+2 with 50% marks, in the Science stream|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Entrance test|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 20 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||HLL Life Care Limited, Fortis Hospital, Max Healthcare, Metro Hospital, Holy Family Hospital, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Sant Parmanand Hospital, Maharaja Agrasen Hospital, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Doctor’s Offices, Educational & Research Institutes, Radiology Clinics, Hospitals, Diagnostic Centers, and such.|
|Job Positions||Medical Advisor, Lead Medical Image Analysis Scientist, Marketing Executive, X-ray Technician, Imaging Research Assist. Manager, Radiographer, Area Sales Manager, among others.|
B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology: What is it About?
The course has been designed to impart advanced and specialized technical training to eligible candidates in medical imaging techniques such as CT scan and MRI, specialized PACS and QM, and other regular procedures.
Popular areas of employment for such professionals include:
- Advanced Imaging Modalities (CT or MRI)
- Healthcare Management or Administration
- PACS Administration
- Quality Management
- Commercial or Industrial (Sales and Support)
- Graduate School (Radiologist Assistant or other graduate studies).
B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess the following:
- Aptitude for conducting research.
- Speed and accuracy.
- Ability to handle stress, analytical judgment.
- Proficiency in interpreting technical/ scientific data.
- Knowledge of laboratory instruments, mechanical ability.
- An eye for detail.
- Agility and patience, as they may need to work a good deal of time, often standing for hours.
Top Institutes offering B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course:
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees|
|Manipal University||Manipal||INR 97,333|
|Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research||New Delhi||INR 79,667|
|SRM University Kattankulathur Campus||Kanchipuram||INR 51,667|
|Jamia Hamdard University||New Delhi||INR 79,667|
|Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara University||Mysore||INR 53,572|
|Noida International University||Gautam Budh Nagar||INR 64,000|
|Sharda University||Greater Noida||INR 1,06,000|
|Ansal University||Gurgaon||INR 1,02,000|
|Chitkara University||Patiala||INR 84,667|
|Mahatma Gandhi Mission Institute of Health Sciences||Navi Mumbai||INR 50,333|
|Singhania University||Jhunjhunu||INR 2,01,000|
|Yenepoya University||Mangalore||INR 58,333|
|Swami Vivekanand Subharti University||Meerut||INR 47,883|
|NITTE University||Mangalore||INR 49,024|
|Adesh University||Bathinda||INR 48,000|
|Saveetha University||Chennai||INR 35,000|
|Father Muller College Allied Health Sciences||Mangalore||INR 55,000|
|JSS Medical College and Hospital||Mysore||INR 53,572|
|Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute||Pondicherry||INR 75,000|
|Manipal University, School of Allied Health Sciences||Manipal||INR 1,37,000|
Eligibility for B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course:
- Successful completion of the 10+2 level of education in the Science stream, completed from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST candidates) at the 10+2 level.
B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Some institutes such as the following provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level:
- Asian Institute of Health Sciences
- Hindustan College
- Oasis Institute of Health Sciences & Research Centre
- School of Health Sciences
- Sharda University.
Listed below are some of the top entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course:
- AIEEE: All India Engineering Entrance Examination.
- AICET: All India Common Entrance Test.
- IIT JEE: IIT Joint Entrance Examination
- JNU: Engineering Entrance Exam
- COMEDK: Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam
- AMIE Entrance Exam
- AMIETE Entrance exam
- DCE CEE Entrance Exam.
- BITSAT Entrance Examination
- BIHER Entrance Exam
- NIT Entrance Exam
- VITEEE Engineering Entrance Exam.
Latest Bachelor of Science [B.Sc.] (Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University (SVVU) BVSc & BFSc Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Dates, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Communication skills||Radiographic Anatomy|
|Basic computer skills I||Radiological Physics|
|Basic of Anatomy||Radiographic Photography|
|Basic of Physiology||General Principles of Hospital Practice and Care of Patients|
|Fundamentals of Imaging Technology||-|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Physics of Radiographic Equipment||Patient Care in Diagnostic Radiology|
|Radiographic Techniques-Routine Procedures Paper I||Radiographic Techniques-Special Procedures Paper I|
|Radiographic Techniques-Routine Procedures Paper II||Radiographic Techniques- Special Procedures-Paper II|
|Radiographic Techniques-Routine Procedures Paper III||Radiographic Techniques- Special Procedures-Paper III|
|-||Quality Assurance and Radiation Safety|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Physics of New Imaging Modalities-CT and Ultrasound||Ultrasound Imaging|
|Physics of New Imaging Modalities-MRI and Digital Imaging||Interventional and Digital Radiology|
|CT Imaging and Contrast Technique||MRI Imaging, Patient care Technologist’s Role and Practical|
|CT Imaging and Patient care Technologist’s Role and Practical||Organizing and Managing Imaging Department|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Radiographic Positioning||CT Imaging|
|Radiographic Special Procedures||MRI|
|USG or Doppler||Front Office|
B.Sc. in Medical Radiography & Imaging Technology: Career Prospects
Radiographers perform procedures such as ultrasound tests, sonographies, etc. They are popularly hired across nursing homes, doctor's facilities, hospitals, diagnostic centers, and also super-specialty healing centers.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Radiographer||Radiographers assess, diagnose, and treat patients for a variety of injuries and diseases using radiation in the form of X-rays, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, and ultrasound.||12,00,000|
|X-Ray Technician||X-Ray Technicians employ diverse X-Ray hardware to carry out X-rays examinations, across hospital, clinics, radiology centers, emergency rooms, etc.||11,00,000|
|Professors||teach students in a wide range of discipline at the post-secondary level. They deliver scholarly articles, perform research, and instruct in the area of specialization.||9,13,657|
|Ultrasound Technician||Ultrasound Technicians operate machines called sonographic scanners that create images of patients' internal organs.||3,44,040|
|Medical Image Analysis Scientist||Medical Image Analysis Scientists work towards creating and improving devices and procedures used in the identification, examination, and evaluation of medical conditions by means of diverse forms of imaging technology.||16,00,000|