Bachelor of Occupational Therapy is a 4-5 year long undergraduate course designed to produce efficient Physiotherapists that can help the physically or mentally challenged people enjoy their life without any hindrance.
Occupational Therapy is the branch of science that deals with curing and rehabilitating the physically, emotionally and mentally disabled and challenged people. It focuses on adapting the environment according to the patient, and teaching and educating them in the necessary skills needed in performing daily activities. This was also known as ‘Moral Treatment’ in the past.
The rise of occupational therapy happened around 100 BC, with a Greek physician by the name ‘Asclepiads. He treated the mentally impaired with the help of music, massage, exercise, and therapeutic bath. Since the onset of the 18th and 19th century, Occupational Therapy has been widely used in a number of countries as a measure of assessing and treating the mentally challenged. The 20th century formally named it as ‘Occupational Therapy’.
Occupational Therapists are professionals who:
- deal with physically, mentally, morally, and mentally challenged people.
- manage the dysfunctions caused due to social, biological, and economic reasons.
There are around 25 institutes in India that offer the course. In India, this program is recognized by the All India Occupational Therapists Association (AIOTA) and the World Federation of Occupational Therapy (WFOT).
Upon successful completion of the course, graduates apply for the National Certification Examination to get the license to practice Occupational Therapy officially.
The average course fee in India ranges between INR 15,000 - 80,000 for the total duration. The average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the field lies between INR 2-6 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Occupational Therapy [BOT]
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy [BOT] in Tamil Nadu
- B.Sc (Medicine) in Delhi-NCR
- B.Sc (Medicine) in Maharashtra
- B.Sc (Medicine) in Chennai
- B.Sc (Medicine) in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Sc (Medicine) in Telangana
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Duration||4- 5 years|
|Examination Type||Yearly System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized educational Board|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 15,000 - 80,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2-6 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||Hinduja Hospital, Medanta Hospital, Kokilaben Hospital, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Rehabilitation Centers, Multi-Specialty Hospitals, Non-governmental Organizations, Teaching to Under & Post Graduates, Industry for rehabilitation of Injured workers, Private Practice/Private clinics.|
Mental Hospitals, Geriatric homes/ Old age Homes, Centers for Physically and Mentally Handicapped Children, Schools, Community health centers, Occupational health centers, GP practices/ primary care, education establishments, housing associations, industrial and commercial organizations, prisons, social services and council departments, residential and nursing homes, charities and voluntary agencies, and such.
|Top Job Profiles||Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapy Nurse, among others.|
Eligibility for Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- 10+2, completed from a recognized educational Board.
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Mathematics as the main subjects of study at the 10+2 level.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Candidates appearing for their final 10+2 examination are also eligible to apply for the course on provisional basis.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course in India admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by a subsequent round of counselling. The round of counseling consists of two additional rounds of group discussion and personal interview, wherein the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined.
Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s score at the 10+2 level.
Mentioned below are some of the major entrance examinations conducted in the country for admission to the course.
- All India Entrance Exam
- CMC Vellore Entrance Exam
- SVNIRTAR NIOH Common Entrance Test
- Manipal University Bachelor of Occupational Therapy Entrance Exam
- All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AIIPMR) Entrance Exam
- K.M.C.H. College of Occupational Therapy Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Entrance Exam.
Latest Bachelor of Occupational Therapy [BOT] Admission Alert
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) B.Sc and BPT Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- KUHS MBBS, BDS & B.Pharm. Admission 2019
- SRM University UG and PG Medical Admission 2019
- Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research UG Admission 2019
- Sri Ramachandra University Pharmacy & Paramedical UG Admissions 2019
- Vinayaka Mission University UG Admission 2019
Top Institutes offering Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|Bihar College of Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy||Patna||25,000|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore||85,500|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University||New Delhi||80,000|
|Jamia Hamdard University||New Delhi||50,000|
|Swami Vivekananda National Institute of Rehabilitation Training and Research||Cuttack||15,000|
|Pt. Deendayal Upadhyaya Institute of Physically Handicapped||New Delhi||22,400|
|Rajiv Gandhi Paramedical Institute||New Delhi||75,000|
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy: What is it About?
The course essentially covers the following major components of study:
- Medicine Psychiatry
- Fundamentals of Occupational Therapy.
The course is a combination of classroom training and practical sessions in therapy clinics.
Upon successful completion of the course, graduates can specialize in any of:
- Adult rehabilitations
- Hand therapy
- Vision rehabilitations
- Community consultation
- Assisted living
- Driver rehabilitations
- Home health
- Musculoskeletal Psychiatric
- Industrial rehabilitation
- Developmental Conditions
- Clinical Practice
- Fundamentals of Occupational Therapy
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below
|Anatomy (Theory/ Practical)||Pharmacology|
|Physiology||Microbiology and Pathology|
|Biochemistry||Biostatistics and Research Methodology|
|Psychology-1||Psychology-2 Developmental and Organizational Psychology)|
|Occupational Therapy-1 (Theory / Practical)||Occupational Therapy-2 (Theory / Practical)|
|Clinical Orthopedic & Rheumatology||Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry|
|Clinical Neurology||Community Medicine and Sociology|
|Occupational Therapy in Orthopedics (Theory/ Practical)||General Surgery|
|Occupational Therapy in Neurology (Theory/ Practical)||Occupational Therapy in Mental Health (Theory/ Practical)|
|Occupational Therapy in Rehabilitation (Theory / Practical)||Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics and Developmental Disabilities (Theory/ Practical)|
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy: Who should opt?
Aspiring eligible candidates for the course would ideally possess:
- critical thinking, emotional stability and maturity, empathy for the disabled, physical and mental stamina.
- avid learning, as the field of medicine is ever-changing, hence learning new things and applying them successfully is much required.
- intellectual ability and emotional stability to function in a variety of clinical situations.
- sufficient motor skills to be able to conduct activities like palpation, auscultation, percussion, and other diagnostic therapies on patients.
- ability to perform motor functions so that they can provide general care and emergency treatment to the needy.
- excellent observational skills so that they demonstrate and participate in healing patients.
- a keen eye to observe accurately at a distance and close at hand.
- good use of vision, hearing, and other sensory modalities.
- good communication skills.
- sensitivity to patients’ health and well-being.
- ability to determine situation-wise effective remedy can be zeroed upon.
- an upper hand in measurement, calculation, reasoning, and analysis.
- good problem-solving and critical thinking.
- ability to devise methods that would most benefit the mentally, physically, or emotionally challenged.
- ethical qualities like empathy, integrity, concern for others.
- ability to fully utilize their intellect.
- ability to promptly complete all responsibilities.
- capacity to develop sensitive and effective relationships with patients.
Bachelor of Occupational Therapy: Career Prospects
For mental, emotional, and physical well-being, Occupational s are much in need across the country.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Occupational Therapist||The job of an Occupational Therapist is to treat injured, ill, or disabled patients using therapies to enable them do their everyday activities. They help these patients control their motor and sensory skills, so that they recover and improve from their present condition.||2-8 lacs|
|Occupational Therapy Nurse||The job of an Occupational Health Nurse involves providing basic first aid and healthcare screening to the patients. They work to prevent healthcare problems through risk assessment, education, and training.||2-5 lacs|