M. Ch. Neurosurgery is a 5-year postgraduate program in surgery. Neurological Surgery is the medical specialty that deals with the rehabilitation, treatment, diagnosis, and prevention of disorders that affect any part of the nervous system inclusive of the spinal cord, extra-cranial cerebrovascular system, brain, and the peripheral nerves.
Top Institutes offering this course are:
- AIIMS, New Delhi
- Christian Medical College
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune
- Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
- Government Medical College
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 2,000 and 12 Lacs for a span of 5 years.
As an academic discipline, Neurosurgery essentially involves
- an examination, diagnosis, and surgically treatment of disorders of the nervous system. surgery on the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nerves.
- treatment of nervous system-related tumors, chronic pain, wounds, vascular disorders and diseases, such as Parkinson's and epilepsy.
Successful postgraduates of the course perform Surgeries in clinical wards, ICUs, emergency, operation theaters and independent surgical work.
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by occasional rounds of Personal Interview.
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as Consultant (Neurosurgery), Senior Resident (Neurosurgery), Clinical Associate (Neurosurgery), Senior Neurosurgeon, Researcher, and Professor, etc. The average initial annual salary offered to such Neuro Surgeons ranges between INR is 4 and 15 lacs, increasing with experience and expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Neuro Surgery)
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Neuro Surgery) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Neuro Surgery) in Maharashtra
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Neuro Surgery) in Kerala
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Neuro Surgery) in Karnataka
- Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Neuro Surgery) in Andhra Pradesh
M. Ch. Neurosurgery: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MBBS from an MCI-recognized institute|
|Admission Process||Counseling after qualification of entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 to 12 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4 to 15 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Kailash Hospital, Max Hospital, Apollo Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Metro Hospital, Colleges & universities, healthcare organizations, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, government organizations, research companies, colleges & universities, and such.|
|Job Positions||Consultant (Neurosurgery), Senior Resident (Neurosurgery), Clinical Associate (Neurosurgery), Senior Neurosurgeon, Researcher, Professor, etc.|
M. Ch. Neurosurgery: What is it About?
Neurological surgeons perform surgical procedures to treat disorders and injuries of the brain, nervous system, and spinal cord. The course has been designed to produce such quality Neurosurgeons who can efficiently treat nervous system, peripheral and cervical disorders and offer both surgical and non-surgical treatments to patients with problems nervous system.
M.Ch. Neurosurgery course also teaches students to treat spinal tumors and brain tumors inclusive of epilepsy and disc degenerative diseases, recognize the nervous health needs of adults, carry out professional obligations in keeping with principles of National Health Policy and professional ethics, practice medicine as self-directed learners and use appropriate learning resources.
They critically analyze relevant published literature towards practicing evidence-based medicine.
M. Ch. Neurosurgery: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course, along with their corresponding details.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences - [AIIMS]||New Delhi||INR 2,292 |
|Christian Medical College||Vellore||INR 1,17,000 |
|Armed Forces Medical College||Pune||INR 69,400 |
|Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research||Pondicherry||INR 8,205 |
|Madras Medical College||Chennai||INR 56,425 |
|Grant Medical College||Mumbai||INR 50,000 |
|Sri Ramachandra University||Chennai||INR 12,00,000 |
|Seth GS Medical College||Mumbai||INR 29,600 |
|Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College-[LTMMC], Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 65,400 |
|Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education And Research||Kolkata||INR 10,000 |
|Government Medical College||Nagpur||INR 69,400 |
|SMS Medical College||Jaipur||INR 8,500 |
|Government Medical College,||Kerala||INR 61,667 |
|Topiwala National Medical College - [TNMC], Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 64,400 |
|Sri Ram Chandra Bhanj Medical College And Hospital||Orissa||INR 1,40,000 |
|GSVM Medical College, Kanpur||Kanpur||INR 34,000|
|Baba Farid University of Health Sciences||Punjab||INR 7,400 |
|MANIPAL University||Karnataka||INR 12,80,000 |
|Maharashtra University of Health Sciences||Nashik||INR 60,000 |
Eligibility for M. Ch. in Neuro Surgery
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- Post-graduation (MBBS/ MS in General Surgery), completed from an institute recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI).
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% (50% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of post-graduation.
- Preferably, a minimum of 12 months of professional experience, as most reputed institutes prefer candidates with work experience.
M.Ch. Neuro Surgery: Admission Process
Generally, in most of the colleges and institutes offering the course, admission is provided based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, conducted at any of State, national and institutional levels, followed by a subsequent round of counselling.
The round of counseling involves two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined. A merit list is subsequently released issued by the institute allocating available seats to the qualifying candidates.
Some of the major entrance examinations conducted in India for admission to the course are listed below.
- University of Delhi Entrance Exam SET
- All Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Entrance Exam
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University Entrance Exam
- Nizam’s University of Medical Sciences (NIMS) Entrance Exam
- JIPMER Entrance Exam
- KLE University Belgaum Entrance Examination
- Sri Ramachandra University Entrance Examination
- ILBS Entrance Examination
- SCTIMST Entrance Examination
- Dr. D.Y. Patil University Entrance Examination
- Regional Institute of Medical Science (RIMS) Entrance Examination
- AMPCK Entrance Examination
- Tata Memorial Centre (TMC) Entrance Examination
- RGUHS DM M. Ch. Entrance Test
- SRM Medical College M. Ch. Entrance Test
- (SVIMSET) Entrance Exam
- (MGMIHS) Entrance Test (SSET)
- (KIMS) Entrance Exam
- Himachal Pradesh University (HPU) Shimla DM and M.Ch. Entrance Test
Latest Master of Chirurgiae [M.Ch] (Neuro Surgery) Admission Alert
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) M.Ch and DM Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham PG Medical, Dental and Pharmacy Admission 2019
- Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeswara (JSS) University D.M. and M.Ch. Admissions 2019
- NIMHANS UG and PG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Entrance Exam Date, Result
- Sri Balaji Vidhyapeeth University DM and M.Ch Admissions 2019
- KLE University MD, MS and MDS Admissions 2019
M. Ch. Neuro Surgery: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Neuroanatomy||Fluid, Electrolytes and Nutrition|
|Neurophysiology||General Critical Care|
|Neuropharmacology||Practice Management, Legal and Socioeconomic Issues|
|Cerebrovascular Surgery||Surgery of the Peripheral Nervous System|
|Neurotrauma and Neurosurgical Critical Care||Spinal Surgery|
|Pain Management||Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery|
M. Ch. Neuro Surgery: Who should opt?
The course is ideally suited for:
- clinical scientists wishing to understand the scientific principles underlying this field.
- doctors with a background in Neuroradiology, Neurosurgery, or Neurology who are planning a career in academic or clinical Endovascular Neurological therapy.
- surgeons who have completed specialist training as neurosurgeons and who wish to develop sub-specialist expertise in cerebrovascular neurosurgery.
M. Ch. Neuro Surgery: Career Prospects
Neurosurgeon work in one of the most complex and fascinating areas of medicine, involving the brain and nervous system. They may work in general Neurosurgery or may choose to specialize in one of several different sub-specialties of Neurosurgery. In most cases, they treat patients referred to them by another doctor or physician.
Neurosurgeons are professionally responsible for analyzing and accordingly deciding appropriate treatment by inspecting neck nerves and brain, movement, muscle strength, balance, reflexes and the patient's speech, performing diagnostic tests such as CAT scan, MRI, spinal taps, electroencephalography, and electromyography, and referring patients to other specialists for further diagnosis.
They also conduct clinical research, clinical trials, and basic and translational research and also often, publishing research articles or writing articles for medical journals.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful professionals of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Senior Neurosurgeon||Neurosurgeons are highly trained physicians who specialize in diagnosing and treating the diseases of the brain as well as any impairment to the spinal cord, autonomic nervous system, peripheral nerves, muscles, or blood vessels that are associated with any of these structures||1,180,790|
|Neurologist||Neurologists may work in hospitals, clinics, or universities treating patients, conducting research, or teaching students. They are experts at the diagnosis and treatment of neurological disorders, including stroke, dementia, and neuromuscular diseases.||1,045,872|
|Clinical Research Associate||Clinical Research Associates collect and organize data obtained during studies and trials conducted in fields such as Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals. They coordinate and process results gained from long-term testing of drugs, products, and medical procedures.||5,42,292|
|Researchers||Researchers communicate with team members and verify that all projects and tasks are executed on schedule. Job responsibilities generally vary with industry and project requirements. Researchers report project progress to supervisors and other committees.||6,46,112|
|Professor||They frequently spend a huge segment of their time directing examination or tests and applying for grant to fund their research. Basically, they invest less time teaching. Classes might be taken by Graduate Teaching Assistants, under the supervision of Professors.||6,71,323|