Bachelor of Science in Botany or B.Sc Botany is an undergraduate degree course for three year’s duration. It is one of very common courses in science stream and many universities and colleges offer this course. Students who have passed 10+2 are eligible to take admission in this course.
Admission to B.Sc Botany is done on the basis of marks in qualifying exam, however there are some universities which also take students on the basis of entrance test. Average tuition fee for this course ranges from INR 15,000 to 30,000 in public colleges and INR 50,000 to 1 lakh in private colleges. Check B.Sc Botany colleges
The course deals with the study of plants and their physiology, anatomy and reproduction etc. This is a specialized branch of biology which deals with the scientific study of plants, algae and fungi. It includes various approaches to the scientific discoveries and also involves many practical experiences to get a real knowledge about all the theoretical concepts.
The course is divided into six semesters spanning over three years. There are also part-time and distance learning options available for students who wish to work while taking this course. The part-time course is offered by only one institute- D.B. Pamba College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala.
B.Sc Botany Duration
The duration for the course is three years like any other science degree course. These three years are well divided into six semesters. The duration for correspondence mode of education for this course is also for three years. During the course of these three years, a student has to take a total of about twenty four courses which help the student with all the necessary professional skills for career in this field.
B.Sc Botany:What is it about?
The course is about the scientific study of the plants, fungi and algae. This scientific study includes studying the various aspects of plants including the structure, growth, reproduction, metabolism, diseases, chemical properties, physiology of the plants and plant anatomy in general. The course is a vast combination of studying from the basic cell structure to the workings and metabolism of plants on higher levels including their evolution.
The course is very accurately structured as mostly all the theory based papers are accompanied by practical sessions to provide a hands-on experience to the students in understanding the scientific concepts through practical knowledge. Check B.Sc Botany Syllabus
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Botany)
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Botany) in Uttar Pradesh
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Botany) in Tamil Nadu
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Botany) in Maharashtra
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Botany) in Assam
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Botany) in Kerala
B.Sc Botany Colleges
There are many universities and institutes which offer this course. It is a rather common course. Some of the popular institutes are:
- St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Ramjas College, Delhi
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Hansraj College, Delhi
- Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi
- St. Joseph’s College, Calicut
What are the skills required for B. Sc. Botany? Who should opt for the course?
The study of plants and micro-organisms is very vast and widespread. Everyday researchers find some new aspect related to the flora and fauna. This course deals with the study of plants on a deeper level and students who are interested in the study of flora and fauna should opt for the course.
Check B.Sc Botany Career Options and jobs
For this course, a student must be ready for new challenges in the field of research and must also be good at problem solving. The students who opt for this course also must have interest in related fields like computer applications and communication skills as they become a part of the course.
How to Get Admission in Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Botany)
Admission to B.Sc Botany is merit-based. Candidates are reuired to meet the cut-off list issued by the university or college. If the student falls in the cut-off criterion as issued by the college, he/she shall be granted admission based on the merit list.
Latest Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Botany) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University (SVVU) BVSc & BFSc Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Dates, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
Distance Mode Admission
Only three institutes offer this course as distance mode of education. These institutes are:
- Nalanda Open University, Patna, Bihar
- Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
- Mysore Correspondence College, Bangalore, Karnataka