M.B.A. in Fashion Management is a 2-year postgraduate course in Fashion and Interior Designing, divided into four semesters. Fashion Management, essentially, involves:
- promotion of apparel sales.
- delivery of clothing requests.
- meeting the needs of potential customers and designers.
- development of:
- promotional displays and advertisements.
- execution of manufacturing and marketing.
- creation of sales strategies.
The major components that form part of the course’s curriculum are:
- creative merchandising/marketing
- innovative fashion management practices
- fashion forecasting and trends
- business practices through field visits and industry internships.
- functioning of the middle management of a growing organization.
The course can be pursued after successful completion of graduation from a recognized university, or Diploma in Fashion/ Accessory Designing, with a minimum aggregate score of 45%, or equivalent qualification.
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as:
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 5 Lacs for a span of 2 years.
The average annual salary offered to successful professionals of the discipline in India ranges between INR 3 and 12 lacs, increasing with the candidate’s experience and skillset.
Top Colleges for Master of Business Administration [MBA] (Fashion Management)
- MBA/PGDM in Delhi-NCR
- MBA/PGDM in Maharashtra
- MBA/PGDM in Chennai
- MBA/PGDM in Uttar Pradesh
- MBA/PGDM in Telangana
M.B.A. in Fashion Management: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System/Year wise|
|Admission Process||based on performance in entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 12 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Godrej Interio, Evok, Futomic Designs, Synergy Corporate Interiors, Zed Interiors, HS Ahuja & Associates, Verve Interio, Manjeet Bullar, Office for International Architecture (OFIA), Atrium Architects, Vijayata Furnishers, Featherlite Furniture, Design Atelier, ICrave Designs, Acme Interiors, Maven Designs, Aakriti, Classic Interiors, Aesthetics, Space Art, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Export Houses, Freelancing for Fashion Houses, Garment Manufacturing Units, Colleges & Universities, Garment Store Chains, Jewellery Houses, Leather Companies, Media Houses, Textile Mills and such.|
|Job Positions||Apparel Production Manager, Cutting Assistant, Costume Designer, Entrepreneur, Fashion Coordinator, Fashion Consultant, Fashion Show Organizer, Fabric Buyer, Fabric Quality Control Manager, Graphic Designer, Outside Sales Representative, Personal Stylist, Production Pattern Maker, Show Room Sales Representative, Technical Designer, among others.|
M.B.A. in Fashion Management: What is it About?
Students enrolled to the course are taught concepts of the field such as:
- fashion design
- retail management
- consumer psychology
- distribution, etc.
Such professionals can pursue lucrative career options across:
- industry-related projects
- fashion events
- leading branded stores
- strategy-making in international fashion houses
- design studios
- sensorial marketing
- manufacturing units
- fashion merchandising
- brand management
- retail buying and global sourcing
- product development
- retail management
- visual merchandising
- retail operations
- international marketing,
- export merchandising, etc.
M.B.A. in Fashion Management: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess:
- artistic and creative talent
- natural flair for fashion
- sound judgment
- excellent communication and organizational skills.
Top Institutes offering M.B.A. in Fashion Management
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees (INR)|
|Sai Nath University||Ranchi||18,000|
|Jaipur National University||Jaipur||1,09,000|
|Subharti Institute of Management & Commerce||Meeru||1,00,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Technology||Chandigarh||2,35,000|
|MIT Art, Design and Technology University||Pune||4,77,000|
|Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology||Bangalore||2,82,000|
|Amity School of Fashion Technology||Noida||1,47,000|
|Swami Vivekanand Subharti University||Meerut||1,04,000|
|The Global Open University||Dimapur||14,462|
|International College of Fashion||New Delhi||2,58,000|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Jaipur||81,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Technology||New Delhi||1,25,000|
|Footwear Design and Development Institute||Jodhpur||1,95,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Technology||New Delhi||1,57,000|
Eligibility for M.B.A. in Fashion Management
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- Successful completion of graduation in any stream, from a recognized university/ Diploma in Fashion/ Accessory Designing.
- A minimum aggregate score of 45% (40% for SC/ST candidates) at the level of graduation.
M.B.A. in Fashion Management: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the level of graduation.
Listed below are some of the entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course.
- MAT (Management Aptitude Test)
- CAT (Common Admission Test)
- CMAT (Common Management Admission Test)
- XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test)
- GMAT (Graduate Management Aptitude Test –Abroad)
- SNAP (Symbiosis National Aptitude Test)
- N-MAT (Narsee Monjee Aptitude test)
- MH-CET (Maharashtra Common Entrance test
- IBSAT (ICFAI Business School Admission Test)
- IIFT (Indian Institute of Foreign Trade)
- ATMA (AIMS Test for Management Admissions)
- TANCET (Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test)
- AMUCAT (Aligarh Muslim University AMU CAT)
- AMRITA (Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham)
- BMAT (Bharati Vidyapeeth Management Aptitude Test)
- FMS (Faculty of management Studies)
- ICET (AP ICET 2019 - Integrated Common Entrance Test)
- KIITEE (KIIT Entrance Examination<)/a>
- KMAT (Karnataka Management Aptitude Test)
- MICA (Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad Admission test)
- OPENMAT (IGNOU OPENMAT MBA Entrance Exam)
- RMAT (Rajasthan Management Aptitude Test)
- SRMCAT (SRM Common Admission Test)
- HPCAT (Himachal Pradesh Combined Aptitude Test)
- UPSEE (UP State Entrance Examination).
Latest Master of Business Administration [MBA] (Fashion Management) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Lucknow University MBA Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
M.B.A. in Fashion Management: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Basic Product and Manufacturing-related Knowledge: Design, Fabric, Patterns, etc.||Marketing Research and Consumer Behavior|
|Principles of Fashion Marketing, Merchandising and Management||Global Textiles and Apparel Product Market Characteristics|
|Economic Analysis and Statistics||Retail Management and Advanced Export Merchandising|
|Information Technology||Quantitative Techniques and Operations Research|
|Minor Research Project||Management Accounting|
|Marketing Strategies and Brand Management||Human Resource Management|
|International Marketing||Supply Chain Management and E-Business|
|Fashion Forecasting and Product Development||Customer Relationship Management|
|Financial Management and International Finance||Visual Merchandising|
|Intellectual Property Rights|
|Graduation Research Project|
M.B.A. in Fashion Management: Career Prospects
Such professionals can find gainful employment across:
- apparel manufacturing
- haute couture
- leather companies
- jewelry houses
- import houses
- independent retailing
- fashion photography
- costume designing
- fashion manufacturing, distribution, retailing.
After gaining experience some people successfully open and run their own ventures.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Costume Designers||Costume Designers create the look of each character by designing the clothes and accessories that actors would wear during performance, depending on the actor’s style and complexity.||6,65,666|
|Fashion Consultants||Fashion Consultants purvey professional fashion advice and recommendations to individuals, customers, or companies. They use their knowledge of trends and fashion principles in order to assist others in the realm of fashion.||7,15,870|
|Fashion Coordinator||Fashion Coordinators set up a particular arrangement of dress for design occasions like photograph shoots, TV appearances, runway appearances, and other such occasions.||6,75,368|
|Sales Representatives||Sales Representatives offer retail items, merchandise, and ventures to clients. They work with clients to determine what they need, and ensure satisfactory fashion products. They are also responsible for identifying new potential customers, through professional resources, customer referrals, and so forth.||7,42,903|
A Technical Designer works to make clothing that fulfills the client’s requirements, and assists the mission of their brand. They build and take part in quality control of products, from purses and footwear, to exceptional pieces of clothing and whole garment lines.
Technical Designers work as a major aspect of a collaborative team with designers, merchandisers, and manufacturers.