Ph.D. in music is a 3-year Doctorate Degree that requires the minimum eligibility is that Masters in Music with 50% score or any other equivalent degree.
Some of the top institutes that provide the course are:
- Allahabad University, Allahabad
- Banaras University, Uttar Pradesh
- Eternal University, Himachal Pradesh
- Government College for Women, Kerala
- Government Kamla Raja Girls Post Graduate College, Madhya Pradesh
This course average fee structure that lies between INR 20,000 – 1 Lac. This may vary between institutes.
Ph.D. in Music is the most popular choice for the candidates who are passionate about the music and fine arts. This is the Post Doctoral Program where the basics in the music are required in order to understand the subject in detail.
Ph.D. in Music degree holders can be appointed as Musician, Lecturer, Artist, Visualization Professionals, Illustrator, Designer, and Researcher. Average starting salary offered ranges between INR 10,000 to 15,000 per month.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Music)
- Ph.D. (Music) in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Telangana
Ph.D. in Music: Highlights Table
|Course Level|| Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||3 – 5 years|
|Eligibility||M.Phil. in Music|
|Admission Process||Merit Based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 20,000 to 1 lac|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 10,000 to 15,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Creative Indians, Amazon India Software Dev Center Pvt Ltd, Inox Leisure Ltd, Music Broadcast Ltd, Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt Ltd|
|Job Positions||Musician, Lecturer, Artist, Visualization Professionals, Illustrator, Designer, Researcher|
Ph.D. in Music: What is it about?
Ph.D. in Music course focuses mainly on the creation of new musical works rather than scholarly work and designed for aspiring composers and orchestral arrangers. The Specializations may include music theory, composition, education and conducting.
This course brings the in-depth knowledge of music to the candidates and help them to improvise their skills to professional levels. Most aspiring thing that course brings out of the student is their passion towards music and also helps them to renovate and innovate new ideas in music.
The main objective of Ph.D. in Music course is to critically think about the musical language, history and its culture, effective writing about music, proficiency in performing or creating music.
Ph.D. in Music: Top Institutes Table
|Name of Institute||Location||Average course fee (INR)|
|Christ University||Bangalore||1 Lac|
|Madras Christian College||Chennai||20,000|
|K J Somaiya College of Arts And Commerce||Mumbai||17,000|
|India Institute of Technology||Bhubaneswar||1.5 lac|
|Banasthali University||Jaipur||2 lac|
|St Joseph’s College Devagiri||Calicut||12,000|
|Jyoti Nivas College||Bangalore||80,000|
|Women’s Christian College||Chennai||5,000|
|Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College||Chennai||2,000|
|Jaipur National University||Jaipur||2 lac|
|LD Arts College||Ahmedabad||12,200|
Ph.D. in Music: Eligibility
Candidates willing to under-take Ph.D. in Music course must possess an Master’s degree that is M.Phil. Music or any equivalent course.
Ph.D. in Music: Admission Process
The Candidates those are applying for this course are admitted based on the merit score in their Master’s degree and some institutes consider their entrance tests score followed by the interview. Also this course includes the critical thinking over the musical Subjects and languages as the prerequisites from the candidates.
Latest Ph.D. (Music) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) Ph.D and M.Phil Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Krishna University (KU) M.Phil and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- IGNOU M.Phil. and Ph.D. Admission 2019: Entrance Exam, Last Date, Online Application
- EFLU Admissions 2019: Courses, Application Form , Eligibility
Ph.D. in Music: Syllabus and Course Description
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Meaning and Sources of Research in Indian Music||Performance and Viva – Voce|
- Meaning of Research
- Area of Research in Music
- Selections of Problems
- Data Collection
- Tools of Research in Music
- Methods of Research in Music:
- Historical Method
- Survey Method
- Experimental Method
- Case Study
- Analysis of Data
- Interpretation and Conclusion
- Preparation of Synopsis
- Writing Research Report
- Vocal Music: Elaborate treatment of vilamvita and Drute Khayalas on any five Ragas, Brief Treatment with one Composition of remained Ragas.
- Instrumental Music: Elaborate treatment of Masitkhani and Razakhani Gat in any five Ragas, Brief treatment with one Composition of the rest of Ragas.
|Teaching Methods in Music Education||Dissertation and Vive - Voce|
Ph.D. in Music: Career Prospects
On Successful completion of this course there is variety of career opportunities in various fields like Colleges, Universities, advertising agencies, music and video stores, publishing firms, music industries and entertainment companies. Where there are different kind of jobs available for candidates and those include music attorney, teacher, music software programmer, Art Director, Special event coordinator.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary (in INR)|
|Musician||A recreation or innovation of music in different view and perspectives||30,000 to 2 lac|
|Animation artists||The one who produces different kinds of music or sound effects for animated stuffs||40,000 – 2 lac|
|Sound Artists||The area in which many real life sound effects are produced in artificial way||2 lac to 4 lac|
|Professor or Lecturer||The profession of teaching the music.||45,000 – 50,000|