B.Ed. in Special Education is a 2-year full time graduate course divided into 4 semesters.
Special Education is the branch of education which uses instructional material, special instructional methodology, learning-teaching aids, and such equipment to meet the educational needs of children with specific learning disabilities. The remedial instruction or remediation aims at improving a given skill or ability in a student.
The techniques used in such a mode of education include providing the student with more practice or more explanation than usual, some repetitions of information and instruction, and more time to work on the skill. These methods vary from student to student. A student with difficulty in reading can be provided with remediation by:
- One-on-one reading sessions
- Phonic instruction
- Practicing reading aloud.
Successful completion of graduation in a relevant discipline is the minimum criterion of eligibility for admission to the course.
Admission to the course is based on the round of counselling conducted after the candidate’s qualification of a relevant entrance test, such as that conducted by the University of Delhi.
Some of the top entrance tests conducted in India for admission to the course are:
The course is offered at leading Indian institutes such as:
- Indian institute of health education and research Science, Patna
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- Sanskriti University, Mathura
- Amity University, Noida
- Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 2 Lacs for a span of 3 years.
Successful graduates of the course can expect anything between INR 2 to 20 lacs as annual salary in the industry, increasing with experience and skillset.
B.Ed. in Special Education: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course:
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||LPUP-NEST, ACAD Entrance Test, GGSIPU, AIEED, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Organizations||NIMT Institutions, Divine International Foundation, Empire Foundation, and such.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Educational institutes, NGOs, Film Industry, News and Media, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Primary Teacher, Content Writer, Content Reviewer, Career Counsellor, Education Developer Associate, among others.|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 2 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 20 lakhs|
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (Special Education)
- Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (Special Education) in Tamil Nadu
- Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (Special Education) in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Ed in Delhi-NCR
- B.Ed in Maharashtra
- B.Ed in Chennai
- B.Ed in Uttar Pradesh
B.Ed. in Special Education: What is it all About?
An Inclusive Model of education would imply provision of education for individuals with special needs. Within such an educational system, children study side by side with their mainstream peers, towards developing their full potential. The program is aimed at normalizing special services for which such students qualify.
The course’s curriculum has been designed to empower special educators to teach students with disabilities in inclusive and special school settings. This includes:
- Knowledge of specific disability areas, cross disability areas, and other disability areas.
- Training in different pedagogies of teaching.
- Emphasis on developing skills and knowledge and understanding how the curriculum can be transacted across disabilities
Special Education Teachers use various techniques to promote learning. Some such techniques depend on the disability, and various teaching methods can include individualized instruction and small group work. Such students need special arrangements in order to take a test, and special education teachers ensure that appropriate ones are provided, with the questions read orally, or lengthening the time allowed to take the test.
Special education teachers help to develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) for each special education student. An IEP sets personalized goals for each student and is tailored to the student’s individual needs and ability. Many teachers work closely with parents to inform them of their child’s progress and suggest techniques to promote learning at home.
Special Education Teachers mostly tend to work with students at the elementary, middle, and secondary schooling level, but some of the teachers do work with pre-schoolers as well.
Such teachers are trained to work with specific groups. The course is highly important to identify which group the student can be categorized under, as this course involves the tailoring of education according to the student’s needs. Early intervention is essential in educating children with disabilities.
Special Education Teachers are involved in:
- Students’ social, behavioural, and academic development.
- Helping students develop emotionally, feel comfortable in social situations, and develop awareness of socially acceptable behaviour.
- Communicating and working together with parents, school psychologists, occupational and physical therapists, social workers, speech therapists, some school administrators, and other teachers.
Such an inclusive education involves an attempt to provide more of these special services by means of:
- Providing additional aids and support inside the regular classroom, apart from individualized instruction.
- Extension of general education curriculum and goals, for students needing special services.
- Shared problem solving, responsibility, and mutual support among all the staff members who provide services to students.
Top Institutes offering B.Ed. in Special Education
Some of the top colleges offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below:
|Name of Institute||City||Average Annual Fees|
|Sanskriti University||Mathura||INR 1,20,000|
|Amity University||Lucknow||INR 1,72,000|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 1,94,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 5,670|
|Kurukshetra University||Kurukshetra||INR 10,860|
|Andhra University||Vishakhapatnam||INR 25,000|
|Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University||Hyderabad||INR 20,000|
|Indian Institute of Health Education and Research||Patna||INR 1,70,000|
|Indian National Portage Association||Chandigarh||INR 4,500|
|Kalasalingam University||Tamil Nadu||INR 60,000|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Jaipur||INR 76,000|
|MJP Rohikhand University||Uttar Pradesh||INR 60,000|
|National Institute of Mentally Handicapped||Secunderabad||INR 20,000|
|Netaji Subhash Open University||Kolkata||INR 30,000|
|Nirmala Institute of Education||Goa||INR 40,000|
|NKT National College of Education for Women||Chennai||INR 10,000|
Eligibility for B.Ed. in Special Education
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course:
- Successful completion of graduation (B.A./ B.Sc./ B.Com.), from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST candidates) at the level of graduation.
B.Ed. in Special Education: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the level of graduation.
Listed below are some of the top entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course:
- ACAD Entrance Test
Latest Bachelor of Education [B.Ed] (Special Education) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha M.Ed and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU) BA, B.Com and B.Sc Admission 2019
B.Ed. in Special Education: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester- wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is given below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Human Growth & Development||Learning, Teaching and Assessment|
|Contemporary India and Education||Pedagogy of School Subjects|
|Introduction to Sensory Disabilities||Pedagogy of School Subjects|
|Neuro Developmental Disabilities||Inclusive Education|
|Introduction to Locomotors & Multiple Disabilities||Curriculum Designing|
|Assessment and Identification of Needs||Practical|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Educational Teaching Strategies||Skill based Optional Course|
|Technology and Disability||Skill based Optional Course|
|Psycho Social and Family Issues||Basic Research & Basic Statistic|
|Main disability special school||Reading and Reflecting on Texts|
|Drama and Art in Education||-|
B.Ed. in Special Education: Career Prospects
A career in special education requires individuals to possess patience for students with disabilities, considerable capacity for understanding such students, and passion to nurture and help such pupils.
Special Education Teachers work for students with hearing, emotional or behavioural difficulties, vision, physical and/or intellectual disabilities, or some special needs in learning or communication. Such students are taught basic literacy, and independent living and communication skills.
The work of a Special Education Teacher can be emotionally demanding and physically draining, with the job often causing children with mental or emotional disabilities resulting in frustration for the teacher.
The course prepares professionals with:
- A solid understanding of human psychology and emotions.
- Ability to teach and interact with children and youth who have a variety of disabilities.
The various types of disabilities that require services of special education trained personnel includes:
- Speech or language impairments, mental retardation.
- Specific learning disabilities, orthopaedic impairments, autism.
- Traumatic brain injury, combined deafness and blindness, and other health impairments.
Such special-needs students are unable to learn in a traditional classroom environment, and special education classes can provide an alternative or better learning experience for such students.
Some of the top professional positions open to such professionals are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Primary Teacher||Primary School Art Teachers guide students towards creating paintings, drawings, and sculptures.||INR 2,37,000|
|Content Writer||Content Writers are professional writers who produce engaging content for use online.||INR 2,43,000|
|Content Reviewer||Web Content Writers compose content specifically for online consumption. They are usually freelancers, and may work for several clients.||INR 5,00,000|
|Career Counsellor||Career Counsellors take a person's education level, personality, work history, interests, and skills into account, and suggest careers that match his or her background and abilities.||INR 2,44,000|
|Education Developer Associate||Course Developers use information to determine how to structure each course, which skills to cover, and what communications tools to utilize.||INR 4,01,000|