Duration: 4 Years
Course: Information and Communication Technology
Course Type: Graduation
B. Tech ICT is a 4- year undergraduate engineering course, minimum eligibility for which is an intermediate degree (10+2) with Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry or any other technical subject (Computer/ Biotechnology/ Biology).
Top Institutes offering this course are:
- Sastra University, Thanjavur
- Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- The Neotia College, Kolkata
- Chandigarh University
- BITS, Hyderabad
Average tuition fee for B.Tech ICT course ranges between INR 2 to 10 lacs for most of the top engineering institutes.
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) is a sub-discipline of Information Technology (IT) which focuses on the role of unified communications and the integration of telecommunications (telephone lines and wireless signals), computers as well as necessary enterprise software, middleware, storage, and audio-visual systems, which enable users to access, store, transmit, and manipulate information.
Like any other B. Tech. course, admission to this course is done either through JEE Main rankings or based on one’s performance in State- level or university entrance examinations. Shortlisted candidates have to go through counseling based on their scores. A few of the institutes provide direct admission based on the marks obtained in the qualifying examination or the Board merit list.
|B.Tech Colleges in TAMIL NADU||B.Tech Colleges in UTTAR PRADESH||B.Tech Colleges in MAHARASHTRA||B.Tech Colleges in KARNATAKA|
A fresh B.Tech. ICT graduate earns a salary of INR 3.5 - 5 lacs per annum which increase with experience and expertise.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information and Communication Technology)
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information and Communication Technology) in Gujarat
- BE/B.Tech in Delhi-NCR
- BE/B.Tech in Maharashtra
- BE/B.Tech in Chennai
- BE/B.Tech in Uttar Pradesh
- BE/B.Tech in Telangana
B.Tech. ICT: Course Highlights Table
|Name of the course||B. Tech in Information and Communication Technology|
|Duration||4 years, full time|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 with Physics, Mathematics, and Chemistry with at least 45-50% marks|
|Admission Process||Based on Entrance Tests (JEE Main, GUJCET, MH CET) or direct admission in some cases|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1 Lakh to 10 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 Lacs to 12 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Amazon, Practo, Morgan Stanley, HSBC, LinkedIn, Grofers, TCS, Wipro, HashedIn, SAP Labs, Samsung, Deloitte, Sapient, Cognizant, Mu Sigma, Servify, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Optus, Vodafone, Intel|
B.Tech. ICT: What is it About?
Information and communications technology (ICT) encompasses communication and information devices and their applications, such as radio, television, cellular phones, computer and network hardware and software, satellite systems, among many other areas.
Through B.Tech. ICT course, the students learn about image processing, data communication, networking, data mining, software design and testing. The program also enables graduates to focus on applications of ICT in a variety of fields like business, trade, education, healthcare, governance, etc.
- To provide expertise in the processes of planning, design, implementation, and deployment of IT infrastructure to realize information systems aimed at providing solutions to societal requirements, and to promote quality education and research.
- To equip students with valuable knowledge of computing and communication devices and their software and applications to produce quality technocrats and enriched human beings.
B.Tech. ICT: Top Institutes
There are quite some institutes offering B. Tech in Information and Communication Technology in the country. Some of the top ones are listed in the table below.
|COLLEGE/INSTITUTE||CITY/STATE||TUITION FEES (PER YEAR)||ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA||ADMISSION PROCEDURE|
|Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology||Gandhinagar, Gujarat||135,000 INR||Candidate must have passed 10+2 with Mathematics, Physics and any one of Chemistry/Bio-technology/Computer Science/Biology with at least 50% marks in aggregate. Candidates having appeared in the qualifying examination in 2019 are also eligible to apply.||Admission is done either through university level counselling based on rank obtained in JEE-MAINS or on performance in GUJCET exam.|
|SASTRA University (Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy)||Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu||57,000 INR||Candidates should have passed 10+2 or its equivalent examination with Mathematics and Physics as compulsory subjects along with any one of Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/Computer Science with a minimum of 60% aggregate in all the three subjects.||Admission is based on JEE Mains entrance examination and performance in the 10+2 qualifying examination.|
|Jaypee Institute of Information Technology (JIIT)||Noida, Uttar Pradesh||202,500 INR||Candidates should have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry/Biology as optional subject with a minimum of 50% marks taken together in Physics, Mathematics and any one of the optional subjects.||Selection of candidates is done through JEE entrance examination.|
|Madhuben and Bhanubhai Patel Women Institute of Engineering (MBICT)||Gujarat||71,450 INR||Minimum qualification is 10+2 or its equivalent in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry with at least 50% marks in total.||Selection is based on performance in Gujarat Common Entrance Test (GUJCET) held by the university. JEE Mains ranking is also considered for admissions.|
|Kalasalingam University||Tamil Nadu||102,500 INR||Candidates should have passed Higher Secondary (+2 / Intermediate) from State Board, CBSE, Matric and any other Board of Education recognized by State or Central Government with an aggregate of 50% or above in (Mathematics/Biology), Physics and Chemistry.||Admission is based on performance in TNEA. JEE Mains ranking is also considered for selection.|
|Parul Institute of Engineering and Technology||Vadodara, Gujarat||77,750 INR||Candidates should have passed 10+2 examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of Chemistry / Biotechnology / Biology / Technical Vocational subject with at least 45% marks (40% in case of candidate belonging to reserved category) in the above subjects taken together.||Admission is done as per the ACPC (Admission Committee for Professional Courses) procedure. Selection is also done based on GUJCET.|
|School of Engineering and Applied Science, Ahmedabad University||Ahmedabad, Gujarat||100,000 INR||Candidates should have passed 10+2 examination with Physics and Mathematics along with one of Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology with a minimum score of 50% marks. All reserved category students have a 5% relaxation in minimum aggregate.||Admission is done by the Admission Committee for Professional Courses (ACPC). ACPC selects students based on their scores in the class 12th exam (weightage 60%) and their scores in the JEE Mains (weightage 40%).|
|Vel Tech High Tech Dr.Rangarajan Dr.Sakunthala Engineering College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||1,35,000 INR||Candidate should have passed 10+2 or its equivalent with minimum 50% aggregate in Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry put together. 45% in case of reserved category.||Admission is based on performance in JEE Mains or on the minimum cut-off criterion in the TNEA exam. The university also conducts its own entrance test – Veltech Technical University Engineering Entrance Exam (VTUEEE).|
|G H Raisoni University||Pune, Maharashtra||87,900 INR||Candidate should have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam with Physics, Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects along with Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology as the optional subject with a minimum of 50% marks taken together in Physics, Mathematics and any one of the optional subjects||Admission is done based on the performance in the All India Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU-OET) conducted between April and May every year|
|Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University||Gandhinagar, Gujarat||80,000 INR||The minimum eligibility criterion is that the candidate should have passed class XII with at least 45% in PCM or PM & vocational subjects like CS, Electronic, Electrical, Maintenance, Mechanical, Building, Technology for open category & 40% for category students.||Admission to undergraduate programs is done through JEE Mains or MH CET.|
|Mody University||Sikar, Rajasthan||215,400 INR||Candidates are required to pass the Higher Secondary School Certificate (10+2) examination with Mathematics, Physics, and English as compulsory subjects along with any one of Chemistry/ Biotechnology/ Computer Science. They need to secure a minimum of 50% marks.||Selection is done through JEE Mains.|
|Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology||Burla, Odisha||28,035 INR||Aspirants should have passed the Class 12th (10+2) examination from a recognized Board with at least 45% marks (for general category) and 40% marks (for SC/ST category) with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with Chemistry or Biology as the optional subject.||Admission is done either through JEE Mains or Odisha Joint Entrance Examination (OJEE).|
B.Tech. ICT: Eligibility Criteria
As a minimum academic qualification, the course requires the candidate to have passed 10+2 or its equivalent referred to as the qualifying examination with Mathematics and Physics as mandatory subjects along with any one of Chemistry/Biotechnology/Computer Science/Biology.
Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination are also eligible to apply for the program. They need to secure a minimum of 50% marks in the qualifying examination. SC/ST and other reserved categories have an advantage of 5% relaxation in total marks. English can also one of the mandatory subjects in the qualifying examination, however, this can vary from university to university.
Diploma degree holders can get admission directly to B. Tech 2nd year with lateral entry. They are needed to follow some admission rules set by the university.
B.Tech. ICT: Admission Process
For IITs, it is compulsory to qualify the JEE Mains and Advanced examination. The admission process for B. Tech in Information and Communication Technology Engineering is based on the candidate’s performance in the entrance examinations, viz State levels such as GUJCET, or national level engineering entrance examinations such as JEE. Some institutes also provide direct admission via the Board Merit list considering the marks obtained in the qualifying exam.
Listed below are some of the entrance examinations conducted for B. Tech in Information and Communication Technology:
- Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main – JEE is a two-tier examination- Main & Advanced. Students can get admission in most of the engineering institutes through JEE Main exam while IITs only consider the ranking based on JEE Advanced exam. The online application process begins around December first week and the last date for online submission of applications is in the second or third week of January.
- Gujarat Common Entrance Test (GUJCET) – GUJCET is an entrance examination for admissions into the B. Tech and B.E courses offered by the various engineering institutes of Gujarat. The entrance examination is held in the month of May. The application form of GUJCET is available for all eligible applicants tentatively in April. The duration of the exam is 3 hours. Admission is granted on the basis of the merit list composed of 60% weightage given to marks obtained in the 10+2 standard qualifying examinations and 40% weightage given to marks obtained in the GUJCET.
- Tamil Nadu Engineering Admissions (TNEA) – TNEA is conducted by the Anna University for admission into the engineering colleges of Tamil Nadu. Application forms are available in the month of May every year and counselling begins in the first week of July. Forms are available online on the official website of Anna University. The TNEA selection process differs for candidates belonging to reserved categories, therefore, aspirants should read the admission/selection process and eligibility criteria carefully before filling the application form.
- Veltech Technical University Engineering Entrance Exam (VTIEEE) – VTIEEE is an All India Engineering Entrance Examination conducted by Veltech Dr. RR and Dr. SR Technical University (VTU) for admission to B. Tech degree programs. The test is held in two phases – Phase I and Phase II. The Phase I of VTIEEE 2019 is held offline (Paper and Pen Test) in January and the Phase II of VTIEEE is conducted in two parts: offline (Paper and Pen Test) and online (Computer Based Test) in April. Application forms are available offline and the online form is made available in October. The last date to receive filled in application forms is in January for Phase I and April for Phase II. VTIEEE Application form is also available on Google Playstore.
- Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MH CET) – MH CET is a common entrance test conducted in Maharashtra for providing undergraduate and postgraduate admissions to engineering & technology and pharmacy courses offered by various government and private colleges of Maharashtra. Online application forms are available in February and the examination is held in May first week. The basic eligibility for undergraduate courses is 10+2 (HSC) qualification. The exam is MCQ- based.
- Odisha Joint Entrance Exam Board (OJEE) – OJEE is a State level entrance test conducted in Odisha and is managed by the State government for admission to various courses in private and governmental medical, engineering and management institutions of Odisha. The online application form is available on the official website of OJEE from February onwards and the last date to submit the filled application form is in March. The offline examination is held in May.
Latest Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Information and Communication Technology) Admission Alert
- Andhra University Integrated B.Tech.- M.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Result
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) B.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) B.Tech and B.Arch Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
- JNTU Kakinada B.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Entrance Exam, Result
B.Tech. ICT: Syllabus and Course Description
The course structure is broadly classified into 3 categories:
- Foundation Courses – Compulsory Courses
- Electives Courses – ICT Electives, Technical Electives, Science Electives and Open Electives
- Internships and B. Tech Project (BTP) – Mandatory rural internship (3-4 weeks), Industrial/Research internship (6-8 weeks) and B. Tech Project (7th – 8th semester)
Basic Electronic Circuits
Digital Logic Design
Signals and Systems
Introduction to Programming
Introduction to Communication Systems
Analog Communication and Transmission Line Theory
Introduction to Programming Lab
Design and Analysis of Algorithms
Data Structures Lab
Groups and Linear Algebra
Probability, Statistics and Information Theory
Engineering Design Workshop
Language and Literature
Approaches to Indian Society
Science, Technology, Society
Embedded Hardware Design
Open Elective – 3 / Science Elective – 2
Internships and B. Tech Projects
ICT Elective – 2
ICT Elective – 4
Open Elective – 1
Technical Elective – 3
Database Management System
Open Elective – 2 / Science Elective – 1
Technical Elective – 4 / Science Elective – 3
Principles of Economics
Technical Elective – 1
ICT Elective – 5 / Technical Elective – 5
ICT Elective 1
ICT Elective – 3 / Technical Elective – 2
Open Elective – 4 / Science Elective – 4
- System Modeling and Simulation
- Object-Oriented Analysis and Design
- Linux Programming
- Electronic Circuits
- Engineering Mathematics – V
- Real-Time Systems
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Digital Image Processing
- Artificial Intelligence and Expert Systems
- Service Oriented Architecture
- Introduction to VLSI Technology
- Pervasive Computing
- Data Warehousing and Data Mining
- Telecommunications and Switching Techniques
- Parallel and Distributed Systems
- Resource Management Techniques
- Protocols and Network Management
- Embedded Systems
- Ad Hoc and Sensor Networks
- Software Testing
- Green Technology.
B.Tech. ICT: Career Prospects
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is one of the most rapidly growing and evolving industries. With advancement in technology, new devices and systems are constantly being invented to provide faster and more efficient methods for making advancements in information and communication technology. Therefore, proficient graduates in ICT are in huge demand since the industry is growing exponentially. ICT professionals may work in commercial service sectors and ICT companies. ICT professionals ideally possess technical expertise in computer systems, hardware and networks, and have exceptional problem solving and analytical abilities to diagnose and repair defects or malfunctions in such systems. Careers in Information and Communication Technology fields include a variety of roles and tasks associated with planning, researching, installing and monitoring the performance of ICT systems and transmissions.
Listed below are some of the job titles and job profiles along with the corresponding average remunerations offered in the field of Information and Communication Technology:
|Job Title||Job Profile||Salary per year|
|Analyst Programmers||Analyst Programmers write, test, design and develop computer software and programs. They design programs, code, test and maintain software. Software and Applications Programmers develop code in accordance with end-user requirements.|| INR 341,561 – INR 800,324|
|Computer Network Professionals||Computer Network Professionals perform a variety of duties including researching and analyzing network strategies and preparing recommendations upon the findings. They work with both computer hardware and software to give businesses optimum performance capabilities as well as provide user support and troubleshoot and diagnose issues within the network.||INR 293,043 – INR 704,301|
| Communications Engineer||Communication engineers are responsible for the research, design, development, and production of communications equipment and systems. Communications engineers design and modify electrical communications systems for scientific, military, industrial or commercial use.|| INR 349,867 - INR 829,849|
|Database and Systems Administrators and ICT Security||Database & Systems Administrator and ICT Security maintain and operate the database, computer system, security and networks. They work in many different organizations including Information Technology and Communication Engineering departments. They develop and implement security plans and procedures and optimize database and management system programs.||INR 483,832 -- INR 936,452|
|Managers (ICT)||ICT managers coordinate and organize the use of computers and technology systems within organizations. They also work with and direct the technology staff and personnel within the organization.||INR 1,722,759|
In the Information and Communication Technology sector, ICT professionals can seek employment in sectors such as Information Systems, Computer System Engineering, Computer Science etc.