B. Pharm. in Pharmaceutics is a 4-year full time undergraduate course divided into 8 semesters. The course involves a global perspective on practices within the pharmaceutical industry and their impact on health care and research.
The program is essentially about:
- An examination of the various ways drugs and medical devices are disbursed in the population.
- An exploration of the importance of intellectual property and analyses of the comparative effectiveness of drugs.
Students enrolled to the course are taught about:
- The analytical techniques used to identify drugs, gauge their performance, and determine proper dosage amounts.
- The use and operation of mass spectrometers, as well as methods used to troubleshoot issues relating to the mass spectrometer.
- Biomedical ethics surrounding the pharmaceutical industry, including patient-provider relationships, clinical research, and end-of-life care.
- An examination of other ethical topics, such as the distribution of scarce resources, use of stem cells, role of genetic testing and issues of human cloning.
- A review of drug approval processes, drug discovery for pharmaceutical use.
- The vast regulatory requirements involved in testing, screening, pre-clinical, and clinical trials of drugs.
- Concepts and rules of Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) used when a drug goes into full-scale production.
- Approval process for diagnostic and medical devices, and an examination of the principles of immunology and their use in creating pharmaceuticals to treat immune-based problems.
- Integral University, Lucknow
- Shoolini University, Solan
- Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar
- Amity University, Lucknow
- PDM University, Bahadurgah.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Pharmacy [B.Pharm] (Pharmaceutics)
- B.Pharm in Delhi-NCR
- B.Pharm in Maharashtra
- B.Pharm in Chennai
- B.Pharm in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Pharm in Telangana
Some of the top entrance tests conducted for admission to the course in India are:
The basic eligibility criterion for pursuing the course is a 10+2 or equivalent qualification in the Science stream, from a recognized educational Board.
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam, or merit obtained in the last qualifying exam.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 60,000 to 8 Lacs for a span of 4 years.
Successful graduates of the course can expect anything between INR 1 to 20 lacs as annual salary in the industry, increasing with experience and skillset.
B. Pharm. in Pharmaceutics: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course:
|Course Level||Under Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2, with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.|
|Admission Process||GPAT, WMJEE, CET, IPU CET, BVP, MHT CET|
|Top recruiting organizations||Aerotek, PDI, ACA Talent, NESCO Resource, Atlas Copco, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Hospitals and Clinics (Government and Private), State wise Drugs and Pharmaceutical Boards, Medical Shop chains (the likes of Apollo Pharmacy), and such.|
|Top job profiles||Pharmaceutical Operator, Pharmaceutical Sales Representative, Healthcare Specialist, Administrative Assistant, among others.|
|Course Fee||INR 60,000 to 8 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 1 to 10 lacs|
B. Pharm. in Pharmaceutics: What is it About?
Pharmaceutics is the discipline of pharmacy that involves all facets of the process of turning a New Chemical Entity (NCE) into a safe and effective medication. This is the science of reaching dosage form design.
The program is an advanced study of the transformation of a pure drug substance into dosage form. The course is a study of drugs, and drug development, discovery, metabolism, absorption, and such.
Allied elements such as biomedical analysis, pharmacokinetics, pharmacology, and pharmacodynamics are included in the course’s curriculum. Pharmaceutics work is usually done in a lab setting.
Pharmaceutics involves analytical techniques, cures and remedies for diseases, pharmacology, quality assurance, metabolism, and drug chemistry.
This course covers the creation, design, distribution and clinical use of drugs for infectious disease prevention, and relief.
As part of the course’s curriculum, students survey the various regulations and rules enacted to prevent drug abuse and misuse, and for auditing and detecting fraud within health care plans.
Such candidates study data mapping and data mining tools in drug investigation, as also chemical structures, properties, and behaviours of different pharmaceuticals.
This course aims to build in such candidates:
- A foundational understanding of drug classifications by potency and activity.
- Proficiency in analysis and interpretation of statistical data related to the development and approval of drugs and medical devices.
- An understanding of concepts of uncertainty evaluation, sample size determination, regression, and model selection.
- Production and characterization procedures for natural and plant-based pharmaceuticals, herbal remedies, as well as natural drugs.
Successful graduates of the course find gainful employment across areas of biotechnology, drug development, research facilities, and pharmaceutical companies.
Pharmaceutics professionals are responsible for contributing to life-saving remedies, and enhancing the speed of delivery of new forms of medication.
Pharmacodynamics and drug metabolism are other sub-disciplines included in the curriculum.
Top Institutes offering B. Pharm. in Pharmaceutics
Some of the top colleges offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below:
|Name of Institute||City||Average Annual Fees|
|Integral University||Lucknow||INR 4,80,000|
|Shoolini University||Solan||INR 3,80,000|
|NIMS Institute of Pharmacy||Jaipur||INR 2,60,000|
|Lovely Professional University||Delhi||INR 6,36,000|
|Sinhgad College of Pharmacy||Pune||INR 4,35,000|
|Dev Bhoomi Institute of Pharmacy and Research||Dehradun||INR 3,20,000|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Jaipur||INR 2,80,000|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 6,36,000|
|PDM University||Bahadurgah||INR 4,54,000|
|Chandigarh Group of Colleges||Chandigarh||INR 3,15,000|
|SGT University||Gurgaon||INR 7,20,000|
|CT Group of Institutions||Jalandhar||INR 3,59,000|
|Suresh Gyan Vihar University||Jaipur||INR 3,08,000|
|Maharishi Markandeshwar University||Ambala||INR 3,37,000|
|M.S. Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences||Bangalore||INR 5,52,000|
|Amity University||Lucknow||INR 6,03,000|
|Dr. D.Y. Patil College of Pharmacy ||Pune||INR 85,000|
|Apeejay Stya University||Gurgaon||INR 5,72,000|
Eligibility for B. Pharm in Pharmaceutics
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course:
- Successful completion of the 10+2 level of education in the Science stream, completed from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST candidates) at the 10+2 level.
B. Pharm. in Pharmaceutics: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
Listed below are some of the top entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course:
- IPU CET
- MHT CET.
Latest Bachelor of Pharmacy [B.Pharm] (Pharmaceutics) Admission Alert
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) B.Tech and B.Arch Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- GITAM University B.Tech and B.Arch Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Fees
- Birla Institute of Technology (BIT) Mesra B.Pharm. Admissions 2019: Cut Off, Placement, Fees
- Kanpur University (CSJMU ) B.Tech & B.Pharm Admission 2019: Entrance Exam, Application Form, Result, Admit Card
- KUHS MBBS, BDS & B.Pharm. Admission 2019
B. Pharm. in Pharmaceutics: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester - wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Organic Chemistry-I||Organic Chemistry-II|
|Pharmaceutical Engineering-I||Pharmaceutical Engineering-II|
|Anatomy, Physiology & Pathophysiology-I||Physical Pharmacy- I|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry –I||Anatomy, Physiology & Pathophysiology-II|
|-||Assignments in Pharmaceutical Engineering|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Organic Chemistry-III||Organic Chemistry-IV|
|Pharmaceutics- III||Pharmacology- I|
|Physical Pharmacy- II||Biochemistry - II|
|Biochemistry -I||Pharmaceutical Analysis-II|
|Anatomy, Physiology & Pathophysiology-III||Pharmaceutical Medicinal Chemistry – II|
|Psychology and Sociology Hospital Pharmacy & Drug Store Management||Dispensing Pharmacy Anatomy, Physiology & Pathophysiology-IV|
|Assignments (Anatomy, Physiology & Pathophysiology-III)||Assignments (Organic Chemistry)|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Pharmaceutics- IV||Pharmaceutics- V|
|Pharmacology- II||Pharmacology- III|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry – III||Pharmaceutical Analysis-IV|
|Pharmaceutical Analysis-III||Pharmaceutical Medicinal Chemistry – IV|
|Pharmaceutical Management-II||Assignments (Pharmaceutical Analysis)|
|Cosmetics Molecular Biology & Biotechnology Assignments (Biochemistry)||-|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Pharmaceutics – VI||Pharmaceutics – VII|
|Pharmacognosy-II||Pharmaceutical Medicinal Chemistry – VI|
|Pharmaceutical & Medicinal Chemistry – V||Clinical Pharmacy and Drug Interactions Assignments (Pharmaceutics)|
|Pharmaceutical Analysis-V||Assignments (Pharmacology)|
|Bio pharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics Pharmaceutical Biotechnology Assignments (Medicinal Chemistry)||Assignments (Pharmacognosy)|
|Assignments (Bio pharmaceutics)||-|
B.Pharm. in Pharmaceutics: Career Prospects
Pharmaceutical Science professionals typically perform research to ensure that any given form of medication meets government standards, and is produced in an efficient and environment-friendly manner. Also, they study gene mutations and virus structures to accordingly develop medications and vaccines.
Some of the top professional positions open to such graduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Pharmaceutical Operator||Pharmaceutical Operators produce pharmaceutical components and products by setting-up, operating, cleaning, and maintaining equipment, following aseptic procedures.||INR 1,80,000|
|Pharmaceutical Sales Representative||Pharmacy Sales Reps act as the key link between an organization and healthcare professionals, aiming at meeting sales targets. Their task is to increase the visibility and awareness of an organization’s pharmaceutical and medical products, and maximize sales growth.||INR 2,43,000|
|Healthcare Specialist||Health Insurance Specialists carry out many different responsibilities, including reviewing patient records and using medical coding procedures. They examine medical claims and verify insurance eligibility, and record any medical charges and other payments or adjustments.||INR 4,67,000|