M.Sc. in Clinical Research is a 2-year postgraduate course in medicine. Clinical Research is the investigation aimed at determining the safety and efficacy of new medical products including drugs, vaccines, devices, diagnostic agents, and treatment regimens intended for maintaining and regaining human health. These may be used for prevention, treatment, diagnosis, or for relieving symptoms of a disease. Clinical Research essentially involves:
- Any investigation carried out on healthy and diseased human volunteers to generate information.
- Such data which can be used in the treatment, diagnosis, prevention, and curtailment of diseases and their symptoms.
- Clinical health professionals, such as physicians, nurses, dentists or pharmacists, who research, develop, and test new applications in medical science.
- Development of new applications including new vaccines, pharmaceuticals, and medical procedures as tested in clinical trials.
The minimum eligibility needed for applying to the course is the successful completion of graduation from a recognized university in any of:
- Life Sciences (Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany or Zoology)
- Doctors (M.B.B.S./ B.D.S./ B.A.M.S./ B.H.M.S./ B.U.M.S./ B.V.Sc./ B.S.S.M.)
- Bachelors in Physiotherapy, Pharmacists (B.Pharm., M.Pharm.)
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Programmer- Clinical Research
- Clinical Research Associate
- Project Manager- Clinical Research
- Clinical Research Physician
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Clinical Research Analyst
- Project Manager- Clinical Research, etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 2 Lacs for a span of 2 years. The average annual salary offered to successful postgraduates of the course varies between INR 20,000 and 45,00, increasing with experience and expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Clinical Research)
- M.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- M.Sc in Maharashtra
- M.Sc in Chennai
- M.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Sc in Telangana
M.Sc. in Clinical Research: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System/Yearly|
|Eligibility||Graduation in a relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on performance in entrance test|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 12 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||GB Pant, Hospital, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital, Artemis Healthcare, Max Hospital, Biocon Pharmaceutical, Innodaa, ACPL, Metro Hospital, Fortis, Hospital, Medanta Medicity, Pfizer (Through Wipro), Max Neeman, Dharamshila Cancer Center, Sir Gangaram Hospital, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Pharmaceutical industry, CROs, SMOs, hospitals, educational institutes, DCGI office, and other govt. drug and food regulatory/ research organizations, etc.|
|Job Positions||Programmer - Clinical Research, Clinical Research Associate, Project Manager - Clinical Research, Clinical Research Physician, Clinical Research Coordinator, Clinical Research Analyst, Biostatistician, Project Manager - Clinical Research, and such.|
M.Sc. in Clinical Research: What is it About?
Clinical Research involves diverse researches and experiments conducted in clinics, particularly with living organisms. Major components of the course include:
- organic activities performed in the clinic.
- study of drugs and medicine management.
- manufacture of medicine and drugs
- determination of the appropriate quantity of drugs for the body, and their impact on it.
- study of related disciplines such as Epidemiology, Transplantation, and such.
- An advanced study of the sub-specialties of research design, data management, epidemiology, and biostatistics.
Candidates enrolled to the course have the option of choosing one specific area of research, from among:
- Translational research
- Patient-specific research.
Clinical research deals with researching medical equipment and medicines based on the parameters of safety and performance. It is an important industry, cardinal to the development of the healthcare domain.
Top Institutes offering M.Sc. in Clinical Research
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Periyar Maniammai University||Thanjavur||INR 38,600|
|Sharda University||Greater Noida||INR 90,000|
|Rayat Bahra University||Mohali||INR 50,000|
|The Global Open University||Dimapur||INR 12,812|
|Amity University||Gurgaon||INR 95,650|
|Gujarat University||Ahmedabad||INR 55,000|
|Galgotias University||Greater Noida||INR 56,000|
|Saveetha University||Chennai||INR 1,05,000|
|Apeejay Stya University||Gurgaon||INR 1,66,000|
|Jamia Hamdard University||New Delhi||INR 67,000|
|Indian Institute of Public Health||Ahmedabad||INR 1,38,000|
|Indian Institute of Public Health||Gurgaon||INR 69,000|
|Saveetha Medical College||Chennai||INR 1,07,000|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Bengaluru Campus||Bangalore||INR 60,000|
|Chettinad University||Kanchipuram||INR 11,250|
|Anovus Institute of Clinical Research||Chandigarh||INR 80,100|
|Galgotias University, School of Clinical Research and Healthcare||Greater Noida||INR 2,25,000|
|Sharda University, School of Allied Health Sciences||Greater Noida||INR 1,35,000|
|Institute of Clinical Research India||Delhi||INR 4,30,000|
|School of Bio-Science, Apeejay Stya University||Gurgaon||INR 3,32,000|
Eligibility for M.Sc. in Clinical Research
Candidates wishing to apply for the course need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- Graduation completed from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Graduation needs to have been completed in any of:
- Life Sciences (Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Toxicology, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Botany, or Zoology)
- M.B.B.S./ B.D.S./ B.A.M.S./ B.H.M.S./ B.U.M.S./ B.V.Sc./ B.S.S.M.
- Bachelors in Physiotherapy, Pharmacists (B.Pharm., M.Pharm.), Nursing
- Candidates awaiting their graduation-level examination’s results are also eligible to apply on provisional basis.
M.Sc. in Clinical Research: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes also admit students based on the candidate’s obtained merit at the level of graduation, while some conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Some such entrance tests held in the country for admission to the course are:
- Karnataka Post Graduate Common Entrance Test (Karnataka PGCET)
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test (IPU CET)
- Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MU OET)
- Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET)
- Mahatma Gandhi University - Common Admission Test (MGU CAT)
- Bharati Vidyapeeth Common Entrance Test (BVP CET)
- Indian Statistical Institute Admission Test (Isi Admission Test)
- Tamil Nadu Common Entrance Test (TANCET)
- Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test (IIT JAM)
- National Entrance Screening Test (Nest)
- Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology Entrance Exam (KIITEE)
- Integral University Entrance Test (IUET)
- Gitam Science Admission Test (GSAT)
- Acharya Nagarjuna University Post Graduate Common Entrance Test (ANUPGCET)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test (BITSAT)
- AIIMS M.Sc. Entrance Examination (AIIMS)
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences National Entrance Test (TISSNET)
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Clinical Research) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
M.Sc. in Clinical Research: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Fundamentals of clinical operations||IPR & Data Exclusivity, Bioethics in Clinical Research|
|Clinical Data Management||Pre-clinical Studies|
|Statistics for Clinical Research||Pharmaceutical Biotechnology|
|Basics of Pharmacy, Drug discovery & Development||Basics of Molecular Biology & Biotechnology|
|Lab Course I & II||Lab Course III & IV|
|Regulatory Affairs||Project Management & Business Development|
|Human Biology||Audit & Inspections|
|Special Regulatory Processes||Pharmacovigilance & Safety Monitoring|
|Pharmacogenomics||Reporting & Medical Writing|
|Lab Course V||Project work|
|Case studies and Seminar||-|
M.Sc. in Clinical Research: Career Prospects
As Clinical Research Coordinators, such postgraduates perform the following duties:
- selecting suitable candidates for clinical trials
- helping conduct testing
- monitoring patients throughout testing processes.
As Clinical Research Managers, they:
- oversee the clinical trial process
- ensure that the staff follows proper research protocols and abides by Food and Drug Administration regulations.
As Medical Assistants, such professionals work in hospitals, clinics, or doctors' offices, performing roles such as:
- discussing and recording patients’ medical history
- measuring vital signs
- administering medicine
- conferring with doctors.
As Health Services Managers, such professionals are in charge of a variety of administrative and executive tasks in hospitals/ clinics.
Pharmaceutical companies, the National Institutes of Health, research hospitals and medical laboratories are some of the areas that hire Clinical Researchers. They monitor patients involved in clinical trials.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Clinical Research Analyst||Clinical Research Analysts work on medical studies designed to measure the effectiveness of a drug, medical device, or process on the human body. Clinical research is often conducted in a hospital, medical facility, or laboratory, and Research Analysts work alongside professionals within the medical field.||2,94,032|
|Clinical Research Associate||Clinical Research Associates gather and compose information acquired through studies and trials directed in fields like Biotechnology and Pharmaceuticals. They coordinate and process results gained from long-term testing of drugs, products, and medical procedures.||3,00,662|
|Professor||Professors teach courses in their branch of expertise. They work with applicants who are studying for a degree/ certificate/ certification or are taking classes to enhance knowledge or professional aptitude.||9,13,657|
|Clinical Research Manager||Clinical Research Managers are responsible for managing the clinical research department and overseeing clinical research studies. Individuals in this position provide direction to Clinical Research Associates on the development, management, and completion of clinical research studies.||8,89,720|
|Biostatistician||Biostatisticians lead statistical analyses for an extensive variety of biology-related topics, and in addition, help with experimental designs. They work with scientific teams on studying statistical design, helping determine the team's needs and appropriate methods. They also help with grant applications, conduct data analyses, and help interpreting results in consultation with the research team.||1,140,000|