B.Sc. in Multimedia is a 3-year practice-oriented undergraduate course that academically explores the arena of visual communication. This is a field that is essential in today’s information-rich world. Students enrolled to the course are trained to:
- design for print and the web media.
- design software tools used by today’s professionals.
- understand the time-based art of moving image by making action or animated films.
- acquire proficiency in an integration of multiple aspects of 2D and 3D art and interactive media.
- model, design, texture, animate, light, and render for 3D design.
- apply software tools like Autodesk 3Ds Max and Maya, which are the leading 3D software tools for professionals.
B.Sc. in Multimedia is a new-age education course in the field of computer applications, spread over 6 semesters. The main objective of the curriculum is to transform learners of multimedia into skilled professionals of Graphics Designing, Animation, and Multimedia.
The average course fee in India ranges between INR 50,000 - 3 lacs for the total duration. The average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the field lies between INR 3-5 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Multimedia)
- B.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- B.Sc in Maharashtra
- B.Sc in Chennai
- B.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Sc in Telangana
B.Sc. in Multimedia: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Course Level||Under- graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized educational Board|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 3 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3-5 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||Bollywood, Tollywood, Regional and Local News Channels.|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Film Industry, Television Industry, Documentary Making, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Graphic Designer, Digital Artist, 3D Modeler, Storyboard Artist, Flash Designer, Technical Director, Texturing Artist, and such.|
B.Sc. in Multimedia: What is it About?
Animation, essentially, is:
The course has been designed to train eligible candidates in:
- advertising business
- gaming industry
- graphics designing
- entertainment industry
- website designing
- graphic rich images
- web page design
- multimedia content and web content
- character animation
- graphic designing
- visual effect supervision
- multimedia, graphics and animation applicable in print, film and web media
- animation techniques used to develop innovative methods and create high-end content
- traditional and digital animation techniques
- effective communication and presentation skills.
B.Sc. in Multimedia: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess:
- creative thinking abilities
- aptitude for drawing skills
- understanding of concepts of motion, size and composition
- skills in drawing methods in specific software applications
- understanding of Mathematics, Physics and Computer Language.
Top Institutes offering B.Sc. in Multimedia
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country, with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|IIFA Multimedia Colleges||Bangalore||80,000|
|Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology||Bangalore||2 lacs|
|Bhartiyam Institute of Professional Education and Technology||Delhi||30,000|
|Birla Institute of technology||Noida||1,61,000|
|Apeejay Institute of Design||Delhi||2.5 lacs|
|International Institute of Fashion Technology||Delhi||1.5 lacs|
Eligibility for B.Sc. in Multimedia
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- 10+2, completed from a recognized educational Board.
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology, or Mathematics as the main subjects of study at the 10+2 level.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Candidates appearing for their final 10+2 examination are also eligible to apply for the course on provisional basis.
B.Sc. in Multimedia: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course in India admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s score at the 10+2 level.
Latest Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Multimedia) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University (SVVU) BVSc & BFSc Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Dates, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
B.Sc. in Multimedia: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Introduction to Graphic Design||Introduction to Digital Filmmaking|
|Introduction to Typography||Introduction to Web Design|
|Introduction to Animation||Multimedia Production|
|Visual Communication||Web Technology and Methods|
|Advance Layout, Composition & Typography||Scriptwriting and Storyboard|
|2D Animation Production||Introduction to 3D|
|Introduction to Digital Photography||Modeling, Texturing, Lighting & Animation in 3D|
|Compositing & Visual Effects||Extensive practical on Drawing|
|3D Animation Production||Graphics Design Software|
|Internship||2d and 3d animation|
|Specialization||VFX and Post Production|
|Portfolio Development||Using software tools like, Photoshop, InDesign, Flash, 3ds Max, Maya, After Effects etc.|
B.Sc. in Multimedia: Career Prospects
The field of animation, VFX and post-production industry in India has skyrocketed in the recent years. This hike can be attributed to the growing cinema at local, regional and national levels.
Successful graduates of the course are gainfully employed in:
- News Channels
- Animation Industry
The advanced animation skills and techniques used in India have made it one of the most popular destinations for animation services and content.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Graphic Designer||Graphic Designers create visual concepts using hand computer software that communicates ideas to inspire, inform, or captivate consumers. They develop an overall layout and design for advertisements, brochures, magazines, and corporate reports.||2-4 lacs|
|Digital Artist||Digital Artists create special effects, animation, and other visual images. Tools they uses are film, video, computers, or other electronic tools. They create computer games, movies, music videos, and commercial ads.||2-4 lacs|
|3D Modeler||They build 3D characters and interfaces that are based on the conceptual art. They paint and wrap 2D textures on a digital frame to give a 3D effect. They produce both large or small sculptures using materials such as clay, wood, sand or metals. They usually work in a studio, and may work for a firm, MNC or government sector. They are the original creators of animation and graphics, and take inputs of illustration and computer programs.||3-5 lacs|
|Storyboard Artist||Storyboard Artists are the presenters of action in a series of scenes. They use slideshows that portray scenes panel by panel. This technique allows filmmakers, advertisers, investors, and producers to evaluate and analyze the project before commencing the final production. Storyboard Artists are also helpful in providing direction during production. They perform the meticulous work of drawing scenes by hand or computer.||2-5 lacs|
|Flash Designer||Flash Designers are experts in computer programming, graphic designing, animation, and illustration. Flash Designers typically possess proficiency with design softwares like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or Dreamweaver.||2.5-3.5 lacs|
|Texturing Artist||They are responsible for painting the surfaces of textures with animated characters, environments, and props. They may design using wrinkles, fur, scales, grass, and mud. They are responsible for keeping textures diverse and non-repetitive. Such artists contribute to the video game, film, or television industry. Texture Artists are an important element of the VFX team. They work closely with Modelers, Shading/Lighting Technicians, Directors, and VFX Supervisors.||3-6 lacs|
|Technical Director||A Technical Director operates, maintains, and protects the technical assets of the theatre. They supervise the use of lighting, sound, communication equipment, and the use of props and stage facilities.||2-5 lacs|