BA in Tamil) is a 3-year undergraduate course, the minimum eligibility for pursuance of which is an intermediate (10+2) qualification from a recognized educational Board, in any stream.
Major components of study in the course involve Tamil language-based:
- Poetry/ Drama
- Literary Criticism
- Literary History, and such.
|Bachelor of Arts in Tamil Nadu||Bachelor of Arts in Kerala||Bachelor of Arts in Uttar Pradesh||Bachelor of Arts in Karnataka|
Tamil is one of the longest-surviving languages in the world that is both classical and modern. Tamil-Brahmi inscriptions dating back to 500 BC have been found on Adichanallur and 2,200-year-old Tamil-Brahmi inscriptions are said to have been found on Ramanamalai.
The earliest period of Tamil literature known as the Sangam literature is dated around 300 BC – AD 300. Tamil was the earliest language of inscription as epigraphic records on rock edicts and hero stones that are from around the 3rd century BC.
The year 1578 marked a time when Portuguese Christian missionaries published a Tamil prayer book in old Tamil script, named 'Thambiran Vanakkam’. Tamil thus became the first Indian language to be printed and published. The Tamil Lexicon was one of the earliest dictionaries published by the University of Madras.
Tamil acquires relevance in contemporary times, owing to factors such as:
- It is the only language of contemporary India that has remained continuous with its classical past.
- Diverse variety and quality in classical Tamil literature.
- More than 55% of the epigraphical inscriptions discovered by the Archaeological Survey of India exist in the Tamil language.
- Tamil inscriptions in the Brahmi script have been discovered in Sri Lanka and on trade goods routing to Thailand and Egypt.
- The two earliest manuscripts from India which are acknowledged and registered by the UNESCO Memory of the World are written in Tamil language.
There are over 1,863 newspapers published in Tamil, of which, over 400 are dailies.
- Tamil has 75 million speakers worldwide and is the official language of Tamil Nadu.
- It is also widely used in the neighboring States of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala.
- It has official status in the Indian states of Tamil Nadu and the Indian Union Territory of Puducherry.
- It is the medium of instruction in education in Malaysia, along with English, Malay and Mandarin.
- It is spoken by significant minorities across:
- Andhra Pradesh
- Union Territory of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- It is one of the 22 scheduled languages of India.
- It is spoken by 75 million people worldwide.
- South Indian cinema- ‘Tollywood’- is expanding at a great pace and many acclaimed and fine films are created in the language.
- It is also popularly spoken across:
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Sri Lanka
Tamil literature is enormously popular in the form of:
- research paper
- journals, etc.
Such graduates would be able to efficiently interpret texts such as:
- text documents
- legal documents
- financial documents, etc.
The average course fee charge in India ranges between INR 30,000 - 5 lacs for the total duration.
The average annual salary offered to successful graduates of the course ranges between INR 3 and 10 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Tamil)
- Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Tamil) in Tamil Nadu
- BA in Delhi-NCR
- BA in Maharashtra
- BA in Chennai
- BA in Uttar Pradesh
- BA in Telangana
BA in Tamil: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 - 8,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 - 5 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||South Indian cinema, Schools, Colleges, Newspapers, magazines, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Banks, Business Houses, Consultancies, Educational Institutes, Fire Department, Economic Development, Export Companies, Foreign Affairs, Field Research Firms, Financial Organizations, Industrial Houses, Law Firms, Lobbying Firms, Management, Marketing Research Firms, Municipal Planning, Multinational Companies, News Media, Public Works, Publishing Firms, Political Organizations, Police, Tourism, and such.|
|Top Job Profiles||Multimedia Reporter, Tamil Translator and Interpreter, Tamil Teacher, Tamil Linguist, among others.|
BA in Tamil: What is it About?
Tamil is a Dravidian language, and the official language of two countries, Sri Lanka and Singapore, predominantly spoken by:
- Tamils of India and Sri Lanka
- Tamil diaspora
- Sri Lankan Moors
Interested graduates of the course can go for pursuing advanced courses in the discipline, such as M.A. or Ph. D in Tamil.
BA in Tamil: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess the following:
- Ability to work with a team
- Communication and quantitative skills
- Critical, creative thinking
- Inquisitiveness about the culture behind the language
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to integrate and apply knowledge
- Observational and Investigative skills
- Understanding of linguistic relationships, interactions, and patterns.
Top Institutes offering BA in Tamil
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|Karpagam Academy of Higher Education||Coimbatore||15,840|
|Government Arts College||Salem||687|
|Annai Fathima College of Arts and Science||Madurai||9,000|
|Annamalai University ||Cuddalore||4,670|
|APC Mahalaxmi College for Women||Thoothukudi||3,030|
|Bharath Women's College||Chennai||4,660|
|Cauvery College for Women||Thiruchirapalli||5,000|
|Chellammal Women's College||Chennai||757|
|Chikkaiah Naicker College||Erode||1,370|
|Devanga Arts College||Virudhunagar||664|
|Dr. RK Shanmugam College of Arts and Science||Villupuram||4,500|
|EMG Yadava Women's College||Madurai||3,330|
|Annai Velankanni College||Kanyakumari||20,000|
Eligibility for BA in Tamil
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course.
- 10+2 education completed in any stream from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Proficiency in Tamil.
|Bachelor of Arts in West Bengal||Bachelor of Arts in Andhra Pradesh||Bachelor of Arts in Punjab||Bachelor of Arts in Assam|
BA in Tamil: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
Latest Bachelor of Arts [BA] (Tamil) Admission Alert
- JNU BA (Hons) Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Kakatiya University (KU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
BA in Tamil: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Language Course I - Tamil/ Other language||Language Course II - Tamil/ Other language||Language Course III - Tamil/ Other language|
|English Language Course||English Language Course II||English Language Course III|
|Core Course I||Core Course III||Core Course IV|
|Core Course II||First Allied Course I||Second Allied Course I|
|First Allied Course I||First Allied Course II||Second Allied Course II|
|First Allied Course II||Environmental Science||Non-major elective I|
|Semester 4||Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Language Course IV - Tamil/ Other language||Core Course VII||Core Course XI|
|English Language Course IV||Core Course VIII||Core Course XII|
|Core Course V||Core Course IX||Core Course XIII|
|Second Allied Course II||Core Course X||Major Based Elective II|
|Second Allied Course III||Major Based Elective I||Major Based Elective III|
|Non-major elective II||Skill Based Elective II||Extension Activities|
BA in Tamil: Career Prospects
Successful graduates of the course can pursue career options such as:
- News Anchor
- Consecutive Interpreter
- General Interpreter
- Liaison Interpreter.
Translators work in fields such as:
- publishing and journalism
Freelancers work across areas such as:
- research firms
- translation bureaus
- publishing houses
- international organizations
- hotel industry
- travel and tourism sector as travel guides.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Computer Operator||Computer Operators oversee maintenance and operation of computer hardware systems. They control the console of mainframe digital computers or sets of minicomputers. The Computer Operator performs maintenance tasks such as checking for viruses, backing up tape, upgrading software, and other basic maintenance.||1-3 lacs|
|Accountant||The job of an Accountant is to prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries. They compile and analyze account information thorough account checking and monitoring. They also report financial transactions to subordinates and management staff. They recommend financial actions by analyzing accounting options.||2-5 lacs|
|News Anchor||A TV News Anchor presents news in the studio through the visual medium to broadcast the news and happenings around the globe. Their role is important since they turn a day's variety of news stories into a cohesive TV program.||2-5 lacs|