M.Tech. CSE is a 2-year postgraduate course offering eligible candidates for specialization in computer programming languages and computer system technologies. Enrolled students investigate complex problems through research and use appropriate modern engineering tools to find solutions. The program aims to build in such candidates analytical abilities for tackling technical problems, formulating and testing new techniques, using advanced communications and multimedia equipment and working for product development.
Top Institutes offering M.Tech. CSE course are:
- IIT, Kharagpur
- IIT, New Delhi
- KIIT, Bhubaneswar
- IIT Madras, Chennai
- IISc, Bangalore
Successful postgraduates of the course are lucratively hired in industry, academia, and public service, research, business and commercial organizations, the manufacturing sector, etc. Computer Network engineers study different kinds of networks, such as MANETs, Ad Hoc N/w, Wireless Sensor Networks, etc.
Students enrolled in M.Tech. CSE course are taught computer system technologies, mathematical skills, algorithmic principles, concepts of cloud computing, big data and computer science theory, for the purpose of modelling and designing computer-based systems.
System study, analysis, design, and programming are the major areas of work for such computer science and engineering postgraduates. Their work involves design, development and maintenance of software, etc. The average M.Tech. CSE course fee in India ranges between INR 30,000 and 1 lacs for the total duration. The average annual salary offered to such postgraduates ranges between INR 5 and 10 lacs.
Top Colleges for Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Computer Science and Engineering)
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Computer Science and Engineering) in Haryana
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Computer Science and Engineering) in Telangana
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Computer Science and Engineering) in Karnataka
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Computer Science and Engineering) in Punjab
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Computer Science and Engineering) in Kerala
M.Tech. CSE: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Based on performance in GATE|
|Course Fee||INR 30,000 - 1 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5 - 10 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Alcatel-Lucent, ThoughtWorks Technologies, Soliton Technologies, KLA-Tencor, Atlas Healthcare Software, IBM India Ltd., Robert Bosch, Informatica, EY India Ltd., Novell Software Development (I) Pvt Ltd., CISCO, Oracle, ChargeBee, SunTec, Cerner Healthcare, FireEye, Seagate, GE Digital, etc.|
M.Tech. CSE: What is it About?
M.Tech. CSE is designed to offer to eligible candidates the requisite skills needed in the application, research, and development activities in emerging areas of Computer Science, with focus on AI and AI-related applications in a distributed computing environment.
M.Tech. CSE program includes subjects of study such as Computer Architecture, Networking, Algorithms, Databases, Distributed Computing and Computational Intelligence. One of the principal objectives of the course is to produce trained human resource capable of supporting research and development activities in critical areas such as automated, secured, monitoring and surveillance systems, medical diagnostics, intelligent monitoring systems, etc.
Owing to implementation and availability of huge volume of data for analysis, knowledge mining activities associated with biological systems, medical field, data related to climate changes etc., career opportunities for such postgraduates abound in the field.
M.Tech. CSE: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess the following:
- Problem-solving ability: Logical and critical thinking for tackling tricky topics, ability to apply diverse concepts for solving a problem, ability to think at an abstract level, ability to leverage existing tools for problem-solving.
- Communication skills: ability to explain things to others in a clear and structured manner.
- Teamwork: Ability to work with various counterparts requiring skills such as leadership, negotiation and conflict- resolution skills.
M.Tech. CSE: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees in INR|
|College of Engineering and Technology, [CET]||Bhubaneswar||55,000|
|Institute of Engineering and Technology, [IET]||Lucknow||1,20,000|
|National Institute of Technology, [NIT]||Thiruchirapalli||78,500|
|The Oxford College of Engineering||Bangalore||1,07,500|
|Indian Institute of Technology, [IIT] Kanpur||Kanpur||33,184|
|The National Institute of Engineering||Mysore||68,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology, [IIT] Bombay||Mumbai||18,626|
Eligibility for M.Tech. CSE
As a minimum criterion of eligibility, aspiring candidates need to have completed:
- Higher and Senior Secondary levels of education (classes X and XII) with a minimum aggregate score of 60%.
- B.Tech./ BE (IT/CSE/EEE/ECE/ Instrumentation & Control) with a minimum aggregate score of 60%.
- Often, candidates are required to qualify an institute, State or national-level entrance test for admission to the course.
|Master of Technology in Karnataka||Master of Technology in Madhya Pradesh||Master of Technology in Rajasthan||Master of Technology in Tamil Nadu|
M.Tech. CSE: Admission Process
The admission process for M.Tech. CSE course is varied, as various institutes have their very own criteria and processes of admission. Admission to the course is often based on the candidate’s performance in GATE, followed by a round of counselling, wherein the student’s general aptitude for the course is examined, and based on performance in which, students are admitted.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all-India examination that primarily tests the candidate’s comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology.
The prerequisites for appearing for GATE are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2/ Post-B.Sc./ Post-Diploma).
- Pursuance of the second or higher year of a four-year integrated Master’s degree program (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/ Technology.
- Pursuance of the fourth or higher year of a five-year integrated Master’s degree program or a Dual Degree program in Engineering/ Technology.
- A qualification obtained through any of the examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (AMIE, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers (India), as equivalent to B.E./ B.Tech.
Latest Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Computer Science and Engineering) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University MVSc And M.Tech Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) M.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) M.Tech. Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Osmania University (OU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
M.Tech. CSE: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Computer Networks||Formal Models in Computer Science|
|Advances in OS||Advanced Algorithms|
|Advanced Database Management System||Advanced Computer Architecture|
|Computer System Performance Analysis||Cloud Computing|
|Fundamentals of Computer and Introduction to C programming||Elective 2|
|Elective 1||Project Phase-I (6-week duration)|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Information Security||Evaluation of Project Phase-II|
|Elective 3||Project Work Evaluation and Viva-Voce|
|Elective 4||ELECTIVE 1|
|Project Phase-II||Advances in DIP|
|Evaluation of Project Phase-I||Computer graphics and visualization|
|-||Topics in multimedia communications|
|-||Artificial intelligence & Agent Theory|
|-||Wireless and cellular Networks|
|-||Advances in pattern classification|
|-||Multi core architecture and programming|
|-||Advanced Storage Area Networks|
|-||Data mining and warehousing|
|-||Advances in VLSI|
|-||Analysis of Computer Networks|
M.Tech. CSE: Career Prospects
There is a wide scope for M.Tech. Computer Science postgraduates. They can be hired in capacities such as IT Consultant, Software Developer, IT Analyst, Software Designer, Technical Analyst, Web Application Designer, Database Administrator, etc.
Top Employment Areas
- IT Companies
- IT Consultancies
- Website Developing Companies
Related M.Tech. CSE courses are:
- M.E. Computer Engineering
- M.E. Computer Science and Engineering
- M.E. Information Technology
Read More AboutM.Tech/M.E Courses
Some of the popular professional avenues open to postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Application Developer||Application development is the process of forming life cycle and creation of software that aims to help users complete a computer task or program. Application Developers test, debug, and improve generally faulty applications for clients.||3 - 7 lacs|
|Client-Server Systems Manager||They plan, manage, and provide work directions to mainframe and client/server operations. They establish guidelines that monitors a system's performance and ensure stability of performance through the effective use of personal computers, servers, and technical services.||7 - 12 lacs|
|Data Analyst||Data Analysts translate numbers into plain English. Businesses collect data like sales figures, market research, logistics, and transportation costs. A Data Analyst uses such data to help companies make better business decisions.||3 - 5 lacs|
|Database Administrator||A DBA is responsible for the performance, integrity, and security of a particular database. They are also involved in the planning and development of databases, and in troubleshooting technical issues.||4 - 9 lacs|