M.Tech. VLSI Design is a 2- year postgraduate course, which fundamentally covers the engineering aspects involved in designing and developing IC-based systems, and is divided into four semesters of six months each.
Top Institutes offering M.Tech. VLSI Design are:
For admission to M.Tech. VLSI Design course, candidates need to have a completed graduation (B.E/B. Tech.) from a recognized university. The average annual fee charged in India for the course ranges between INR 1 and 5 Lacs, varying across institutes.
Upon successful completion of the course, such postgraduates are lucratively employed in both public and private sector organizations such as Intel, Samsung, AMD, etc. with an initial average annual salary ranging between INR 3 and 8 Lacs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Master of Technology [M.Tech] (VLSI Design)
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (VLSI Design) in Telangana
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (VLSI Design) in Andhra Pradesh
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (VLSI Design) in Kerala
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (VLSI Design) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Technology [M.Tech] (VLSI Design) in Uttar Pradesh
M.Tech. VLSI Design: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Eligibility||Graduation degree in B.E/B. Tech|
|Admission Process||Counseling after taking entrance test|
|Course Fee||INR 1 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 8 Lacs|
|Major entrance exams||GATE, BITSAT, GGSIPU, etc.|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
M.Tech. VLSI Design: What is it About?
M.Tech. VLSI Design course is a multidisciplinary combination of two streams, namely Material Science and Electrical Engineering, and involves advanced lessons in concepts and processes of creating an integrated circuit (IC) by combining thousands of transistors into a single chip.
Enrolled students are exposed to a variety of design software applications, and are taught to design, simulate, implement and test complex digital systems. Essentially, the course trains candidates in designing semiconductor devices and circuits, architecting systems using embedded components, such as, CPU, memory, and peripherals, and prepares them to contribute to the development of electrical and electronic instruments and gadgets.
M.Tech. VLSI Design: Who should opt?
Aspiring eligible candidates with proficiency in coding, and adeptness in operating software related to the field of electronics, such as simulation, are ideally suited for M.Tech. VLSI Design course. Ideal candidates of the course would have sharp and analytical minds, and be attentive to detail.
M.Tech. VLSI Design: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country, along with their corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE FEES IN INR|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Mumbai||50,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Delhi||59,150|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Kanpur||33,184|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Guwahati||51,700|
|Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT-M) ||Chennai||50,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)||Roorkee||59,200|
|Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS)||Pilani||2,50,000|
|Indian School of Mines University (ISMU)||Dhanbad||-|
|Indian Institute of Science (IISc)||Bangalore||21,500|
|NRI Institute of Technology||Guntur||28,000|
|Adarsh College of Engineering||Orissa||28,000|
|Aravali Institute of Technical Studies||Rajasthan||70,000|
|Babu Banarasidas National Institute of Technology and Management - NITM||Lucknow||1,40,000|
|Bharath University||Tamil Nadu||1,00,000|
|College of Engineering||Pune||85,000|
|GD Goenka University||Gurugram||1,50,000|
|Government College of Engineering||Maharashtra||80,000|
|National Institute of Technology - NIT Rourkela||Orissa||91,000|
Eligibility for M.Tech. VLSI Design
Mentioned below are the minimum eligibility criteria needed to be fulfilled by students aspiring to pursue the course.
- Graduation (B.E/B.Tech.) in a relevant discipline, with a minimum aggregate score of 55% (50% for SC/ST candidates), completed from a recognized university.
- Work experience of a minimum of 1 year, as most institutes prefer candidates with professional experience.
- Students in the final year of graduation results impending are also welcome to apply for the course, however, admission to such students is made provisionally.
M.Tech. VLSI Design: Admission Process
The admission process for M.Tech. VLSI Design course is varied, as various institutes have their very own criteria and processes of admission. Admission to the course is often based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam, followed by a round of counseling, wherein the student’s general aptitude for the course is examined, and based on performance in which, students are admitted.
Listed here are the major entrance exams held in the country for admission to the course.
- GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Learning)
- GGSIPU Engineering CET Entrance Examination
- BITSAT for Birla Institute of Science &Technology
- IIIT entrance exam for Indian Institute of Information Technology.
Latest Master of Technology [M.Tech] (VLSI Design) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University MVSc And M.Tech Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) M.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) M.Tech. Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Osmania University (OU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
M. Tech. VLSI Design: Syllabus & Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is given as follows.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Mathematical Foundations for VLSI Design||VLSI Signal Processing|
|Solid State Devices||Design for Test and Testing|
|CMOS Integrated Circuits||Research Methodology|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Digital System Design||Embedded System Design|
|Analog VLSI Design||Nano Electronics|
M.Tech. VLSI Design: Career Prospects
With recent advancements in areas such as hardware software co-design, an architecture for machine intelligence, network on chip etc., VLSI Design is fast emerging as a promising professional field for the subject’s postgraduates.
Related M.Tech. VLSI Design courses are:
- M.Tech. VLSI Design and Embedded Systems
- M.E. VLSI Design
- M.Tech. Power Electronics and Drives
Read about more Master of Technology courses
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such postgraduates are tabulated below, along with the corresponding details.
|JOB PROFILE||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|VLSI Testing||To test the working, efficiency, and design of chips, ICs, etc. before passing it on to the production team.||INR 2.5 to 6 Lacs|
|Chip Designing||To work with cross-functional teams and external vendors to define, develop, and productize the next generation of mobile power solutions by designing chips.||INR 3 to 6 Lacs|
|Lecturer||To teach at undergraduate and graduate levels in areas allocated and reviewed from time to time by the Head of Department.||INR 3 to 7 Lacs|
|VLSI Design Engineer||To design chips, ICs using special hardware description languages [HDL] like Verilog and VHDL, as software programmers.||INR 4 to 7 Lacs|