M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course, the minimum eligibility for admission to which is the successful completion of graduation (B.E. or B.Tech.), completed from a recognized university, with a minimum aggregate score of 50% or equivalent CGP.
Admission to the course is mostly based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by a round of counselling.
The multidisciplinary course has been designed to adequately equip eligible candidates with:
- an advanced understanding of the chemical properties and structures of the various materials used as inputs for producing a variety of synthetic items.
- a firm academic foundation in Physical, Chemical, and Engineering Sciences.
- expert knowledge of the different specifications of particular applications and quality requirements of physical goods.
- skills needed in making materialistic discoveries to contribute to fields of healthcare, communication, transportation, recreation, etc.
- specialization in:
- Chemical and Electrochemical Material Science and Engineering
- Computational Materials Science and Engineering
- Electronic, Magnetic, and Optical Materials
- Structural Materials.
- professional expertise needed for operating in manufacturing and production units of industries such as:
- clothing and household goods, etc.
Such postgraduates are lucratively hired in the industry, in capacities such as:
- Research Associate
- Materials Project Specialist
- Design Engineer
- Materials and Corrosion Engineer
- Professor, etc.
Industries such as the following, recruit successful Material Science Engineers:
- locomotive industries
- steel plants
- cement manufacturing units
- academic institutions
- railways, among others
- organizations such as ISRO, SAIL, Ispat Industries Ltd., John Deere, DRDO, Tata Steel, Jindal Steel & Power Ltd., Reliance Industries Ltd., etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 18,000 and 2.82 lacs. The average annual salary offered to such professionals ranges between INR 2 and 12 lacs, increasing with the candidate’s experience and expertise.
Top Colleges for Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Material Science and Engineering)
- ME/M.Tech in Delhi-NCR
- ME/M.Tech in Maharashtra
- ME/M.Tech in Chennai
- ME/M.Tech in Uttar Pradesh
- ME/M.Tech in Telangana
M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course:
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||B.Tech./ B.E. with a minimum aggregate score of 50% or equivalent CGPA|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on performance in entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 18,000 to 2.82 lacs per year|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 12 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Locomotive industries, steel plants, cement manufacturing units, academic institutions, railway, ISRO, SAIL, Ispat Industries Ltd., John Deere, DRDO, Tata Steel, Jindal Steel & Power Ltd., Reliance Industries Ltd., etc.|
|Job Positions||Research Associate, Materials Project Specialist, Design Engineer, Materials and Corrosion Engineer, Professor, and such.|
M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering: What is it About?
M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering is a multidisciplinary course designed for providing students comprehensive and specialised learning in:
- behaviour of materials, their development, and production.
- investigating the structural, electrical, and magnetic properties of particular materials, such as:
- electronic and magnet materials
- aerospace materials
- nuclear materials, etc.
- physical and chemical aspects pertaining to understanding of materials at the nano, micro, and macro levels.
- manufacturing and making materialistic discoveries for advancement of sectors such as health care, transportation, communication, etc.
- customization of properties of materials for creation of new products.
- fabrication of materials according to purpose and demand.
- creation of specialized synthetic materials for use in:
- Aerospace Science
- Energy Domains.
Trained M.Tech. holders in Material Science and Engineering can professionally contribute to a variety of industries, like:
- manufacturing and production of finished products
- automobile industry
- electronics and multimedia
- watch-making industries
- food industry, etc.
- research or production in the industrial sector
- Material Consultancies.
Top Institutes offering M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course, along with their corresponding details.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees Per Year in INR|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur||Kharagpur||69,000|
|Indian Institute of Science||Bangalore||21,500|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science||Pilani||2.81 lacs|
|National Institute of Technology||Thiruchirapalli||78,700|
|International Institute of Information Technology||Hyderabad||1.9 lacs|
|Institute of Chemical Technology||Mumbai||93,900|
|Punjab Engineering Institute of Technology||Chandigarh||1.32 lacs|
|Delhi Technological University||New Delhi||95,500|
Eligibility for M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering
Candidates wishing to apply for the course need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering: Admission Process
Most institutes in India offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes also admit students based on the candidate’s obtained merit at the level of graduation, while some conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Some such institutes in the country that conduct entrance tests for admission to the course are:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Delhi School of Technology, New Delhi
Latest Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Material Science and Engineering) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University MVSc And M.Tech Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) M.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) M.Tech. Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Osmania University (OU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Science and Technology of Polymer Materials||Techniques of Materials Characterization|
|Ceramic Technology||Seminar II|
|Material Lab||Advanced Materials Lab|
|Elective I||Elective III|
|Elective II||Elective IV|
|Seminar I||Elective V|
|-||Elective VI (HSS/IEM)|
|-||Comprehensive Viva Voce|
|Thesis (Part I)||Thesis (Part II)|
M.Tech. in Material Science and Engineering: Career Prospects
Such engineers can explore gainful employment in:
- aerospace industry
- locomotive industry, automobile industry
- metallurgical units
- electronics industry
- nuclear production units
- watch-making industries, etc.
Primarily, such engineers are professionally responsible for production of new and innovative products, and betterment of existing ones, based on the behaviour of materials with regard to manufacturing and production.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Research Associate||Research Associates conduct and/or assist in laboratory experiments within defined guidelines.||3.04 lacs|
|Materials Project Specialist||Materials Project Specialists identify opportunities to improve manufactured products, and develop innovative such products. They come up with new technologies and materials to assess their suitability for use.||6.66 lacs|
|Design Engineer||Design Engineers work to improve the efficiency of existing products, and are responsible for regulating and evaluating the production process by designing and conducting experiments. They designing products, and fabricate and assemble materials.||3.23 lacs|
|Professor||Professors teach their subject of specialization at higher education institutes/ colleges/ universities.||5.44 lacs|
|Materials and Corrosion Engineer||Materials and Corrosion Engineers assess input materials, and support and oversee the mechanical and chemical teams. Also, they review material quality, and perform analyses of the behaviour of materials, etc.||3.55 lacs|