M.Tech. in Production and Industrial Engineering is a 2 year Post Graduate course in engineering with a specialization in the domain of production and industrial engineering and related aspects. A minimum of 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level is the least which almost all the institutes desire from applying candidates as the eligibility criterion.
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- Integral University
- ITM University
The fee for the course varies between INR 65,000 to 3,35,000 in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
M.Tech in Production and Industrial engineering admissions are done based on Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criteria that is the percentage of marks obtained at Under Graduate (UG) level.
Most of the colleges who provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of All India level common entrance exams like GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering), IIIT-B, DTU M.Tech entrance exam, while a select few opt for a separate entrance exam of their own (Like NSIT).
The course is designed to accord domain-specific skills and knowledge to the M.Tech students so as to equip them with a holistic knowledge of the subject that will enable them to take on the day to day challenges that would come in the persecution of their skill at the industry level.
M.Tech in Production and Industrial Engineering postgraduates have a wide range of job opportunities like Plant engineer, Quality engineer, Industrial Manager, Process engineer, Operation analyst etc. After completion of post graduation, one may pursue further studies like M.Phil and Ph.D. in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between INR 15,000 and 20,000 a month for a fresh pass out.
Top Colleges for Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Production & Industrial Engineering)
- ME/M.Tech in Delhi-NCR
- ME/M.Tech in Maharashtra
- ME/M.Tech in Chennai
- ME/M.Tech in Uttar Pradesh
- ME/M.Tech in Telangana
M. Tech in Production & Industrial Engineering: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 55% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 65,000 to 3.35 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 15,000 to 20,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Maruti Udyog, Tata Motors, Steel India, Coal India, Honda, NALCO|
|Job Position||Plant engineer, Quality engineer, Industrial Manager, Process engineer, Operation analyst etc|
M. Tech in Production & Industrial Engineering:What is it about?
The word production and industry go hand in hand. Industries are indulged in maximizing their production potential and efficiency with available resources in a sustainable and effective manner.
To raise the productivity without indulging in expensive machinery push the industry requires a trained, qualified, and analytical manpower that accomplishes the task without any hassle. A manpower that is sound technically and academically is what that is desired by industry owners.
M.Tech. course in Production and Industrial Engineering as a specialization of Industrial engineering aims at shaping that manpower that is required out there in the job market. It grants a holistic domain view through practical based and gradual course structure to the Master’s level students so, as to let them grasp the concepts and skills with ease.
M. Tech in Production & Industrial Engineering: Top Institutes
M.Tech in Production and Industrial engineering course is offered by many reputed colleges/universities to candidates who have passed their UG or equivalent examination in the respective stream from a recognized state or central university.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee Per annum basis|
|Al-Falah University||Faridabad||INR 70,000|
|Bhai Gurdas Institute of Engineering and Technology||Sangrur||INR 55,750|
|Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College||Ludhiana||INR 97,400|
|Integral University||Lucknow||INR 90, 220|
|ITM University||Gwalior||INR 1, 2,220|
M. Tech in Production & Industrial Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the B.E/B.Tech or equivalent examination in the respective stream from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University with at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks at graduation level.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the Subject/Subjects at B.E/B.Tech level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (like work experience of 1 or 2 years).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like GATE, DTU-M.Tech). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common for most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M. Tech in Production & Industrial Engineering: Admission Process
Admissions to the course involve a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various universities and colleges in the country).
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.Tech courses (like NSIT) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like GATE, DTU-M.tech entrance. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Production & Industrial Engineering) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University MVSc And M.Tech Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) M.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) M.Tech. Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Osmania University (OU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
M. Tech in Production & Industrial Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into four semesters spread over a span of two years. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and practical skills that students are taught during the course of their Master’s. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to Production and Industrial engineering so, as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the master’s level students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Advanced Engineering Materials and Processing||Micromachining and Precision Engineering|
|Manufacturing Systems and Management||Advanced operations research|
|Computer-aided design in Manufacturing||Flexible Manufacturing Systems|
|Supply chain management||Financial Engineering and Economics|
|Elective 1||Elective 3|
|Elective 2||Elective 4|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Industrial Training||Thesis phase 2|
|Thesis Phase 1||Viva-voce|
|Principles of Robotics and application||Final year project|
|Friction and wear in Machinery||Report on Industrial Training|
|Composite material manufacturing||-|
M. Tech in Production & Industrial Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have a background in Production/Industrial/Mechanical Engineering.
- Those who have a career in the domain of manufacturing in Mind.
- Those who are aiming at public sector jobs.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M. Tech in Production & Industrial Engineering: Career Prospects
M.Tech in Production and Industrial engineering postgraduate has plenty of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. One can choose to work with companies such as Maruti Udyog, Tata Motors, Steel India, Coal India, Honda, NALCO etc.
To provide you a complete view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Manufacturing engineering postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Plant Engineer||Plant engineer’s job involves supervision and inspection of various types of machinery installed in the manufacturing plant.||INR 2.85-3.33 Lacs|
|Quality analyst||The job of a quality analyst involves assurance to quality standards of the manufactured product so, as to avoid their rejection.||INR 2.90-3.15 Lacs|
|Operation Engineer||The job involves one to ensure smooth flow of processing in assembly lines/plants working as a part of the production cycle.||INR 2.65 -3.43 Lacs|
|Ergonomist||An Ergonomist is involved in the job of assuring safety and compliance standards of production machinery so, as to avoid any injury to the workers.||INR 2.95-3.5 Lacs|
|Industrial Manager||An industrial manager is seen as supervisor of the manpower and functioning at the plant/industry level.||INR 2.82-3.20 Lacs|