B. Tech. Food Technology or Bachelor of Technology in Food Technology is an undergraduate course which deals in food engineering and food sciences. It provides in depth knowledge of the fields like food processing, food packaging, nutrition, storage etc. Any person who pursues this course gets the edge of being known as food scientist or food technocrat.
Any person who has successfully completed his or her 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics with minimum 50% marks is eligible to pursue this course.
The course is of 4 years duration course divided into 8 semesters, i.e. 2 semesters per year. The average tuition fee is around 40,000 INR to 1.2 Lakh INR. The course has broad career prospects and provides with diversity of job profiles such as Food Scientist, Process Manager, Food Sales Representative etc. to choose from. The average salary package after completion of the course will be 2 Lakh to 3.5 Lakh per annum. Top recruiters in the field of food technology include Cadbury, Venky’s, Hatsun etc.
What is the course about?
The course B. Tech. in Food Technology is field specific course which introduces a person to food related technology and its specifications. It relates to the study of areas like packaging, nutrition, chemical balances of food, microbiology etc. and provides a wider understanding of food products and food raw materials.
Students also learn techniques such as food marketing, food processing, food and its related research methods.
Who should opt for the course?
Any student who seeks a career in food related industry and wants to secure a niche in the food technology skills, should opt for the course. This course is fit for the students who have a scientific bend and think from the angle of science and testing in the relative fields. Anyone who seeks a research and laboratory testing profiles which provides for a curative experience in daily work should go ahead with this course.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Food Technology)
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Food Technology) in Uttar Pradesh
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Food Technology) in Rajasthan
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Food Technology) in Kerala
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Food Technology) in Maharashtra
- Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Food Technology) in Punjab
Bachelor of Technology in Food Technology is a 4 years long course divided into 8 semesters which means 2 semesters per year. The course can be extended up to a maximum of 6 years.
There are various top level Colleges which offer B. Tech. course in Food Technology in their course curriculum. These institutes are either government or private aided institutes with the motive of nurturing best food scientists for the future. Some of the top institutes are as mentioned below:
Name of Institute
Institute of Chemical Technology
Faculty of Engineering and Technology
Harcourt Butler Technological Institute
University Institute of Chemical Engineering and Technology
Biyani International Institute of Engineering and Technology
Osmania University's College of Technology
Guru Nanak Dev University
Rajasthan Technical University
Sanskriti Institute of Management and Technology
West Bengal University of Technology
Ch. Devi Lal State Institute of Engineering & Technology
Laxminarayan Institute of Technology
Kongu engineering College
Avinashilingam University for Women
Jaipur National University
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture Technology and Sciences
How to Get Admission in Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Food Technology)
The admission process of B. Tech. Food Technology is based on an entrance examination. Candidate has to go through JEE (Joint Entrance Examination) to take admission into this course.
Latest Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech] (Food Technology) Admission Alert
- Andhra University Integrated B.Tech.- M.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Result
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) B.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU) B.Tech and B.Arch Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- MANUU B.Tech and B.Ed Admission 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
- JNTU Kakinada B.Tech Admissions 2019: Courses, Entrance Exam, Result
Various colleges and universities require JEE Main rank of students to take entrance into this course. The test is conducted nationwide by the zonal IITs (Indian Institute of Technology). 13 Lakh students appear for this test. JEE Main syllabus is based on 10+2 syllabus and covers 3 subject Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Application Process: The application process begins in the month of November and ends in December. Admit cards are available in March.
- Mains: The JEE test is divided into two stages Mains and Advanced. Mains is the first stage. Students rank in Mains examination is considered for the admission in B.tech Food Technology.
- Counselling: This is the final stage. Here the candidate chooses the college according to his rank in Mains examination and college/university cutoff, thereby taking admission into that college.
There is also provision for lateral entry into this course. There will be a separate entrance exam for lateral entry. LEET (Lateral Engineering Entrance Test) is conducted for students to take entry into 2nd year of course, which is known as lateral entry.