Ph.D. is a higher degree certification in the respective domain of studies says Science, Commerce or Humanities. One can pursue the course after obtaining M.Phil or equivalent level certification/degree in the respective subject/domain. Generally, the duration of the course is three years (extendable up to 5 years in some cases) and the minimum eligibility criterion for admission is 55% marks at M.Phil or equivalent level in the respective domain.
The course being a penultimate academic program in the said domain of studies imparts highly domain-specific content to the doctorate student and involves them in research practices so as to help them get the essence of the subject. Some of the popular colleges/universities offering Ph.D. course are:
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Amity University
- GITAM University
The fee for Ph.D. course ranges from INR 12,000 to 2.5 Lacs across various colleges and universities in the country that are offering the course. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
Ph.D. admissions are done on the basis of percentage of marks obtained by a candidate at Post Graduate (PG)/M.Phil level. Apart from the merit-based process certain colleges/universities take admissions based on the score of some popular entrance exam for Ph.D.
It is a research-based academic program that focuses on the holistic and in-depth analysis of a given subject with a view of providing expert level information and skills to the students who are enrolled in the course. Candidates who are aiming at fellowship for the course have to fulfill the required eligibility criteria (along with clearing of a respective exam for that purpose) in order to receive the grants.
A Ph.D. holder has a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a start with firms/areas such as Plant Breeding centers, Equipment manufacturers, News agency, Pharmaceutical industry, Publishers, Software development etc. Doctorate students are well equipped with the knowledge and application of the subject in practicality and are thus suitable for undertaking various roles at the industry level. A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 18,000 to 21,000 per month. The working in the domain involves both practical as well as academic soundness with the fundamentals of the domain.
Top Colleges for Ph.D.
- Ph.D. in Tamil Nadu
- Ph.D. in Maharashtra
- Ph.D. in Uttar Pradesh
- Ph.D. in Karnataka
- Ph.D. in Gujarat
Ph.D.: Course Highlight Table
|Area Concerned||Science/ Humanities/Commerce|
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Entrance Test based/Merit-based (Based on M.Phil or equivalent percentage)|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise/Yearly exam based|
|Eligibility||M.Phil. or equivalent from any college/university with a minimum of 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks.|
|Top recruiting areas||Plant Breeding centers, Equipment manufacturers, News agency, Pharmaceutical industry, Publishers, Software development etc.|
|Job Profiles||Chief editor, Plant Scientist, Journalist, Auditor, Software developer, Marketing head etc.|
|Course Fee||INR 12,000 to 2.5 Lacs|
|Average starting salary||INR 18,000 to 21,000|
Ph.D.: What is it about?
Ph.D. course is inclusive of detail analysis and research of topic/subject at an academic level have shown potential for the concepts to be adopted in the practical domain. Be it concepts of science, principles of commerce, or theories in humanities an in-depth study and research at the academic front is always seen better for spelling out practical applications.
To meet this demand of Research and Development in various domains academicians and industrialists demanded students to go through a comprehensive academic program that is aimed at developing domain expertise in them along with practical understanding.
A doctorate level course in face of Ph.D. provides that platform where concepts and application are seen operating in a cyclic approach that is from its understanding to practical phase. The course aims at building on the knowledge and skill base that student has developed at Bachelor’s and Master’s level by involving the student in research and practical work.
|Ph.D. Chemistry||Ph.D. Physics|
|Ph.D. Mathematics||Ph.D. Biotechnology|
|Ph.D. English||Ph.D. Economics|
|Ph.D. History||Ph.D. Physiology|
|Ph.D. Pathology||Ph.D. Physiotherapy|
|Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering||Ph.D. CSE|
|Ph.D. Civil Engineering||Ph.D. ECE|
|Ph.D. Electrical Engineering||Ph.D. Marketing|
Know more Ph.D. Courses in India
Ph.D.: Top Institutes
A significant number of colleges/universities across the country offer Ph.D. as a doctorate level course to candidates who have passed their M.Phil or equivalent education from a recognized state or central University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Approximate Average Fee (for the course duration)|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 3.16 Lacs|
|Jamia Milia Islamia||Delhi||INR 32,000|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 1. 5 Lacs|
|IIFT||Delhi||INR 2.5 Lacs|
|GITAM University||Vizag||INR 1.54 Lacs|
|VJ Technological Institute||Mumbai||INR 1.26 Lacs|
|Mody University||Sikar||INR 1.65 Lacs|
|M.R. International University||Faridabad||INR 1.92 Lacs|
|Poornima University||Jaipur||INR 1.75 Lacs|
Candidate must have passed their M.Phil or equivalent level examination with at least 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at M.Phil or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (Like work or research experience in the domain).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institutes grant admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) like JNTU entrance exam. To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering Ph.D. course to the students.
Ph.D.: Admission Process
Most Universities/Colleges offer admission based on the score of CET or conduct their own entrance test for admission into Ph.D. courses hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D. Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU )M.Phil. and Ph. D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Krishna University (KU) M.Phil and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) M.Phil. And Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Results, Fees
Ph.D.: Syllabus and Course description
The course has a variable time duration of 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain related subject and practical/research modules. The detailed description of Ph.D. syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Principles of Philosophy|
|Application of philosophical concepts in subjective matter|
|Subject detail and analysis|
|ICT tools in management|
|Techniques of Research|
|Presentation and Report|
Ph.D.: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done M.Phil or equivalent in the respective domain of studies.
- Those who have interest in research and development work.
- Those who are looking for a career in the public sector.
- Those looking at a career as an analyst.
Ph.D.: Career Prospects
Ph.D. students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Chief Editor, Plant Scientist, Journalist, Auditor, Software developer, Marketing head etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Ph.D. holders in the respective domain can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Chief Editor||A chief editor is involved in the task of heading the team of editors and taking a final call in regards to what will go on prints and what not.||INR 3.35-3.5 Lacs|
|Plant Scientist||The job involves study and analysis in regards to plant health, disease, growth, nutrition etc.||INR 2.7- 3.38 Lacs|
|Journalist||The job involves reporting and presenting news events to the audience across the country either through print or multimedia.||INR 3.48 – 3.80 Lacs|
|Auditor||The job involves scrutinizing of revenue and expenditure receipts of an organization or firm.||INR 2.66-3.36 Lacs|
|Software developer||It is a technical skill based jobs which involves coding and computing in regards to the development of user-friendly software.||INR 3.26- 3.67 Lacs|