PHD in Information Technology is a three to five year course. Eligibility for the course is a postgraduate course in Information Technology, candidates should have Bachelor’s degree in Commerce/Bachelor in Technology from recognized University.
The tuition fees by average for PHD in Information Technology comes between INR 40,000 to 4 Lakh for the span of three to five years.
Admissions for such course are on the basis of counselling after clearing entrance tests depending on the colleges. Some of them are
- CSIR (JRF)
Top institutes which are offering this course are as follows:
- GITAM University
- Christ University
- AISECT University
- Indian Institute of Technology
- National Institute of Technology
- P.S.G. College of Technology
- Periyar Maniammai University
Major Job profile and designations for these graduates are Lecturer/Professor, Project Manager, IT Manager, System Analyst, Business Analyst, Technical Leaders, Software Consultant, Database Designer, Database Administrator etc.
Graduates with this degree have opportunity for the industries like Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, EY, Banks and Software companies like Microsoft, Apple and Samsung etc.
The average salary for PHD in Information Technology graduates is around INR 4 Lakh to INR 20 Lakh but this can be higher on the basis of experience and other factors.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Information Technology)
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Computer Applications in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Computer Applications in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Computer Applications in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Computer Applications in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Computer Applications in Telangana
PHD in Information Technology: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Duration||3 to 5 years|
|Examination Type||Paper System|
|Eligibility||Post-graduation in Commerce|
|Admission Process||Based on counselling after clearing Entrance Tests like UGC/ CSIR (JRF) examinations / NET / SET / SLET/ GATE/ Teacher Fellowship for different colleges.|
|Course Fee||40,000 INR to 4 Lakh INR for three years|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4 to 20 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Deloitte, KPMG, PwC, EY, Banks and Software companies like Microsoft, Apple and Samsung etc.|
|Job Positions||Lecturer/Professor Project Manager IT Manager System Analyst Business Analyst Technical Leaders Software Consultant Database Designer Database Administrator|
PHD in Information Technology: What is it about?
Learners can study a variety of technology systems, including securities exchanges, supply chains, manufacturing networks, information processing systems and product development systems.
Applicants must have programming experience and knowledge of various languages, hardware systems and architectures.
Information technology involves computer hardware and software systems along with telecommunications and networking systems.
Some students complete course requirements during their master's degree programs. However, possible courses may include:
- IT research methods
- Dynamic and nonlinear programming
- Queuing models
- Parallel computation
- Data compression
- Architectures and algorithms of signal processing
Major subjects are:
- Design and synthesis of combinational and sequential circuits; Number representation and computer arithmetic (fixed and floating point).
- I/O interface (Interrupt and DMA mode), Instruction pipelining, Cache and main memory, Secondary storage.
- Recursion, Parameter passing, Scope, Binding; Abstract data types, Arrays, Stacks, Queues, Linked Lists, Trees, Binary search trees, Binary heaps.
- Context free languages and Push-down automata, Recursively enumerable sets and Turing machines, Undecidability.
- Runtime environments, Intermediate and target code generation, Basics of code optimization.
- Web Technologies: HTML, XML, basic concepts of client-server computing.
Program Educational Objectives
- To develop skilled resource for industry pertaining to Information Technology solutions.
- To nurture individuals for demonstrating team abilities and alignment with technological upgrades.
- To enable graduates to exhibit social responsibilities by following ethical practices in professional pursuit
Top Institutes Offering PHD in Information Technology
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE COURSE FEES|
|GITAM University||Visakhapatnam||INR 1.96 Lakh|
|Christ University||Bangalore||INR 2 Lakh|
|AISECT University||Bhopal||INR 3.15 Lakh|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Delhi||INR 60,500|
|National Institute of Technology||Raipur||INR 70,000|
|P.S.G. College of Technology||Coimbatore||INR 127,620|
|Periyar Maniammai University||Thanjavur||INR 127150|
|IMS Unison University||Dehradun||INR 40,800|
|Amrita School of Business||Kollam||INR 305,000|
|School Of Computer Science & Information Technology-Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Jaipur||INR 247,000|
|School of Management-Sir Padampat Singhania University||Udaipur||INR 240,000|
|Amrita School of Business||Coimbatore||INR 400,000|
|Amity University||Jaipur||INR 200,000|
|JECRC University - School of Engineering||Jaipur||INR 210,000|
Eligibility for PHD in Information Technology
- M.Tech. / M.E. in Information and Communication Technology such as ICT, Computer Science, Information Technology, Communication Technology, Electronics and Communications,
- B.Tech. / B.E. in Information and Communication Technology related areas such as ICT, Computer Science, Information Technology, Communication Technology, Electronics and Communications, Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications, Instrumentation, Bioinformatics, Biomedical Engineering and allied disciplines. GATE in respective area will be preferable.
- M.C.A. / M.Sc. in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, and Electronics.
The relevant PhD rules for B.Tech./ BE students would be applicable as per the University Norm.
PHD in Information Technology: Admission Process
Candidates will be selected through an Entrance Test followed by an interview. The Entrance Test will next be conducted in First or Second week of July. The interview of the short-listed candidates will be taken immediately after the entrance test.
- The eligible candidates will have to appear in a written MCQ examination of 1 hour duration followed by interview to be held in this Department which will be informed to the candidates after the initial screening process.
- Candidates who have already passed UGC/ CSIR (JRF) examinations / NET / SET / SLET/ GATE/ Teacher Fellowship or equivalent examinations or passed the M.Tech./ MEdegree in Information Technology or equivalent examination need not appear at the written examination and can directly appear at the interview.
Latest Ph.D. (Information Technology) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- Christ University Ph.D. Admissions 2019
- SPSU B.Tech, M.Tech & MBA Admission 2019
- Bharathiar University M.Phil. and Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Result, Fees Structure, Entrance Exam
- Anna University Ph.D. Admissions 2019
- North Maharashtra University (NMU) Ph.D Admissions 2019
PHD in Information Technology: Syllabus and Course Description
|PAPER - 1||PAPER - 2|
|Major Subject||Major Subject|
|Theories in IS research||E-commerce Strategy|
|Socio Technical perspective of IS||Managing IT Projects|
|Managing Virtual teams and Global IT||Information system analysis and design|
|Knowledge Management||Data Mining and Business Intelligence|
|Minor Subject||Minor Subject|
PHD in Information Technology: Career Prospects
Graduates might find work with governmental agencies, private companies or consulting firms. The careers listed below are popular options:
- Software designer
- Computer science professor
- Computer network designer
Graduates may be qualified for work as university professors, computer system designers and more.
Possible job titles include:
- Information technology director
- Network administrator
- Project leader
- Systems analyst
- Security consultant
Graduates of this course will have career opportunities in areas such as:
- IT management
- project management
- network administration
- network engineering
- system administration
- security engineering
- software development
A junior software engineer (as a fresher) can expect to earn between Rs. 1.2 lakh and Rs. 3.6 lakh annually, an associate software engineer about Rs. 2 lakh to Rs. 7.5 lakh, a senior software engineer Rs. 4 lakh to Rs. 12 lakh, and a lead software engineer Rs. 5.5 lakh to Rs. 16 lakh. A project manager in software development can hope to earn between Rs. 7 lakh and Rs. 20 lakh.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Lecturer/Professor||The NET is conducted to determine the eligibility for Junior Research Fellowship Award or Assistant Professor. A lecturer’s job provides a stable salary and gives you a chance to constantly increase your knowledge.||295,493|
|Project Manager||Project managers may work closely with upper management to make sure that the scope and direction of each project is on schedule, as well as other departments for support.||2,000,000 to 3,000,000|
|IT Manager||The work of a marine engineer is usually on-board looking after marine engineering department on the vessels and also has the responsibility of maintaining all on-board equipment and operation on board||1,000,000 to 1,500,000|
|System Analyst||Computer systems analysts typically do the following: Consult with managers to determine the role of the IT system in an organization. Design and develop new systems by choosing and configuring hardware and software.||600,000 to 800,000|
|Business Analyst||Business analysis training teaches requirements management – one of the core skills of business analysts.||1,000,000 to 2,000,000|
|Technical Leaders||This individual will spend part of their time managing and organizing the team and part of their time working as a technical expert.||800,000 to 1,200,000|
|Software Consultant||The "Software Consultant" is hired as a contractor for a specified period of time and for a very specific task/role/project|| 1,500,000|
|Database Designer||Database designers, who are similar to software developers, specialize in managing, creating, and analyzing data collected in databases. Professionals may choose to specialize in particular industries, such as healthcare or mobile devices.||800,000|
|Database Administrator||They will be involved in the planning and development of the database, as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users.||700,000|