M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics is a 2-year full-time post graduate divided across 4 semesters. It has been designed to impart to eligible candidates requisite skills in:
- critical evaluation through an integration of nutrition, dietetics, and research.
- interaction with patients and students.
- hands-on training in hospitals, in association with dieticians and clinicians.
- advanced diet therapy.
- participating in symposiums, research projects, and conferences in Nutrition & Dietetics.
- forging a connection between medicine, chemistry, and food, focusing on the good and bad effects of alimentation on the human body.
A balanced diet is about prevention of bodily diseases, since a poor diet leads to imbalances in the human body.
Obesity and chronic illnesses, hence, are the most popular specializations in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics. The science of nutrition is:
- the study of food elements and nutrients and their impact on the human body.
- analyses of the substances from food and the drinks that people ingest.
- determination of such food/ drinks’ impact on the human body.
- provision of a balanced food diet to the body.
The course prepares students for:
- practice in medical and dental schools.
- understanding composition, quality, and safety of foods and properties of food ingredients.
- proficiency with relationships of metabolism and utilization of nutrients in food by the human body to health and disease states
- advanced understanding of the influences of exercise and fitness.
Such postgraduates are hired in areas such as:
- Nutrition-based communities and organizations
- Management and operation of food service facilities.
- service management, and industries.
Major components of study within the discipline include:
- Integrative and preventive educational approach to nutrition, health, and disease. Nutrition and Dietetics such as fundamentals of nutrition
- Food microbiology
- Sports nutrition
- Weight management
- Measuring nutrition
- Nutrition support
- Nutrition during special situations etc.
- Evidence-based approach to health and wellbeing.
This course has been designed for graduates of Life Sciences who wish to pursue a career in clinical nutrition.
The average annual course fee ranges between INR 20,000 to and 4 lacs, depending upon the institute offering the course.
The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of the course ranges between INR 2 and 12 lacs, depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Nutrition and Dietetics)
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Nutrition and Dietetics) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Nutrition and Dietetics) in Haryana
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Nutrition and Dietetics) in Kerala
- M.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- M.Sc in Maharashtra
- M.Sc in Chennai
M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation in a relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Counselling after qualification of entrance examination (GATE)|
|Top recruiting organizations||NPA, Markham Board of Trade, NAPS, Tech Connex, CSNN, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Government sectors, Health departments, mass media, among others such.|
|Top job profiles||Clinical Dietician, Community Dietician, Nutrition Product Manager, and such.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 4 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 12 lacs|
M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics: What is it About?
Nutrition is the relationship between diet and health. The science of Nutrition and Dietetics involves:
- cardiovascular disease
- psychological and behavioural problems.
- process of food-consumption and nourishment of the body.
Top Institutes offering M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics
Some of the top institutes offering the course in the country are listed below with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|Manav Rachna International University||Faridabad||INR 1,92,000|
|SGT University||Gurgaon||INR 2,00,000|
|Welcome Group Graduate School of Hotel Administration||Manipal||INR 1,84,000|
|Women’s Christian College||Chennai||INR 45,260|
|Kurukshetra University ||Kurukshetra||INR 16,380|
|Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University||Hyderabad||INR 58,840|
|Alphonsa College||Pala kottayam||INR 60,000|
|Andhra University||Vishakhapatnam||INR 40,000|
|Berhampur University||Orissa||INR 20,000|
|JSS University||Mysore||INR 1,85,715|
|SRM University||Kanchipuram||INR 1,00,000|
|Islamic University of Science and Technology||Jammu and Kashmir||INR 2,24,000|
|Raja Balwant Singh Engineering Technical Campus||Agra||INR 3,16,000|
|Ch. Devi Lal State Institute Of Engineering and Technology||Haryana||INR 1,29,000|
|Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology||Hisar||INR 2,22,000|
|Haldia Institute of Technology||Midnapore||INR 3,61,000|
Eligibility for M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
Nutrition or Dietetics
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Candidates in their final year of graduation can also apply for the course on provisional basis.
M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics: Admission Process
Some colleges also offer admission on the basis of obtained merit at the level of graduation. However, generally, in most of the colleges and institutes offering the course, admission is provided based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, conducted at any of State and national levels, followed by a subsequent round of counselling.
The round of counselling involves two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined. A merit list is subsequently released issued by the institute allocating available seats to the qualifying candidates.
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Nutrition and Dietetics) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course is tabulated below.
|Food science||Advanced nutrition|
|Diet therapy I||Diet therapy II|
|Nutrition through development stages||Community nutrition|
|Food science||Diet control|
|Nutraceuticals and functional foods||Food cost quality control|
| -||Human rights|
|Advanced nutrition II||Nutritional biochemistry|
|Research methodology statistics||Clinical nutrition|
|Nutritional management safety||Computer application|
|Financial and food management||Clinical nutrition|
M.Sc. in Nutrition and Dietetics: Career Prospects
A balanced diet is relevant since:
- People today spend most of their time in offices in sedentary jobs with lack of exercise.
- Increase in stress levels owing to such lifestyles.
- Need for healthy, nutritional practices to prevent diseases and to promote good health.
Popular areas of employment for such Nutritionists and Dietetics include:
- colleges, schools, research institutes
- private or government hospitals
- maternity, yoga centres
- health maintenance organizations
- public health clinics
- athlete camps, etc.
They may also work as:
- Private Practitioners
- Private Consultants.
- Assistants/ Associates of a dietetic department.
- Renal or Paediatric Dietetic Specialists.
Some of the top professional avenues open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|JOB POSITION||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Clinical Dietician||Clinical dieticians design and supervise custom nutritional programs for health care patients after conducting assessments of the patients' individual needs. Some are specializing in a particular area that is children's diabetic dietetics or nutrition for people with high blood pressure. Many types of health care facilities, including hospitals, outpatient centres, and nursing homes, employ clinical dieticians.||INR 2,16,000|
|Management Dietician||Working in such locations as healthcare facilities and workplace cafeterias, schools, patients, service managers supervise all of the behind-the-scenes work it takes to feed employees, and other diners. They have work with a nutrition specialist to make sure that all of their patrons' nutritional and dietary needs are being met. Dietary service managers have a variety of administrative duties in addition to food and nutrition planning. Most of them are required to hire and train workers; they create budgets and ensure that their facility meets health and safety code requirements. They must determine whether meal plans are meeting nutritional guidelines without going over budget.||INR 7,60,000|
|Consultant Dietician||A dietetic assistant usually works in a hospital setting, but they may also be employed in other institutional food service environments. They work under the supervision of a dietician to assist in menu planning, patient food selections, recipe revision or standardization, and portion control. They may also help in record keeping and tracking of supplies and equipment used in food preparation.||INR 6,00,000|
|Community Dietician||A dietician is part of a team of professionals including Nutritionists and Dietetic Technicians. They are responsible for providing accurate and individualized diet and nutrition counselling. Diet and nutrition counselling can be helpful for geriatric patients, hypertension, or other medical conditions, and for patients who suffer from diabetes, or obesity. Diet Counsellors often work for a home health organization, hospital, or clinic with the responsibility for improving the nutritional habits of clients and patients. Diet and nutrition counselling may also be helpful for prenatal and infant care.||INR 4,00,000|
|Nutrition Product Manager||Product Managers are primarily responsible for securing the sale of goods and services. They work towards marketing a product, estimate the demand for the item, and identify potential customers. Also, they oversee the development and planning of advertising and marketing strategies. They work with many different departments within a company, including research and development (R&D), advertising, sales, and public relations.||INR 11,00,000|