PGD Economics is a 1-year specialized course in the domain of commerce and business studies with a focus on conceptual principles and techniques of economics. The course is of one-year duration with a semester-wise system of examination with end semester exam at the end of each semester. Candidate with a minimum score of 50% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level in any stream from a recognized central or state/private/deemed university can make an application for admission to the course.
Some of the popular colleges/universities that are offering the course are:
- Government College
- Karnataka State Women’s University
- Bangalore University
- Meghnad Desai Academy of Economics
- Calcutta University
- University of Mumbai
- Madras School of Economics
- Symbiosis School of Economics
- Kerala University
The fee for the course ranges from INR 45,000 to 2 Lacs across various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
PGD Economics course admissions are based on Common Entrance Test (CET) with suitable consideration and weightage for merit (that is the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at Undergraduate (UG) or equivalent level). Certain colleges/universities conduct their own exam apart from the common entrance exams for selecting candidates for admission (for those who couldn’t qualify common entrance test) however; preference is given to the score of common entrance exam when it comes to granting of admission.
The course is designed in a manner so, as to decimate the knowledge of economic principles and techniques both in theoretical and practical sense to the students. This is done with the motive of training the students in a manner such that they can easily visualize the practicality behind the concept as it is expected from them in the job market.
A fresh Postgraduate in Economics can look for job opportunities with Banks, Finance agencies, Stock exchange, Marketing firms, Production firms etc. A new entrant in the job market can expect a starting salary in the range of INR 18,000 to INR 21,000. The variation in salary depends upon various factors such as Placement record of college, Candidate’s academic performance, Status of the recruiting company, Candidate’s performance in the selection rounds etc.
PGD Economics: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate Diploma|
|Duration of the Course||1 Year|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 50% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level in any stream.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based (Consideration for Merit is present)|
|Course Fee||Between INR 45,000 to 2 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 18, 000 to 21, 000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Banks, Finance agencies, Stock exchange, Marketing firms, Production firms etc.|
|Job Positions||Banker, Economic officer, Business analyst, Risk analyst, Investment consultant, Professor etc.|
PGD Economics: What is it about?
Economics as a subject deals with the study of consumption, production, transaction, and flow of money in a defined manner as a part of the economic cycle of a country. It is a scientific study of business and commercial processes with an aim to predict the outcome.
With exponential expansion of business and commerce, the need for qualified manpower with effective skills and knowledge in economics has become a norm for the sustenance of business of a firm in the market. Thus a specialized academic program accustomed to the needs of the industry has been designed in the subject.
PGD Economics course is designed in a manner such that a PG diploma level student is able to grasp the basic concepts of Economics, along with the theories and principles associated with it. The course along with its academic aspects provides a practical overview to the students in regards to the manner in which economies in the business environment is applied and how transactions are done in an economical manner.
Thus, the core aspects of the PGD Economics course is to produce business leaders who have the capability and skills to meet the needs of business and job markets as well as the skills and abilities to take on entrepreneurial activities.
PGD Economics: Top Institutes
A good number of colleges across the country offer Post Graduate Diploma in Economics course to candidates who have passed their UG or equivalent level examination from a recognized state/central/private/deemed University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Government College||Kalahandi||INR 50,000|
|Karnataka State Women’s University||Bijapur||INR 15, 000|
|Bangalore University||Bangalore||INR 45,000|
|Meghnad Desai Academy of Economics||Mumbai||INR 70,500|
|Calcutta University||Kolkata||INR 25,000|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 44,250|
|Madras School of Economics||Chennai||INR 47,500|
|Symbiosis School of Economics||Pune||INR 1,64, 200|
|Kerala University||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 40,000|
PGD Economics: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed UG or equivalent level examination in any stream with at least 50% (45% to 50% for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at UG or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s (like one-year work experience) which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institutes grant admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
PGD Economics: Admission Process
The procedure for admission to this course involves a Merit-based consideration and a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country).
- Students who have passed their UG or equivalent level examinations with a minimum of 50% marks (45% to 50% for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Certain institutes take admissions on the basis of scores of common entrance exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After completion of procedural formalities related to admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would mostly be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
PGD Economics: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 2 semesters spread over a span of one year. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects related to the domain that students are taught during the course of their post-graduation diploma. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to the Economics in a comprehensive and holistic manner.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below for the reference of the candidates.
|Subject of Study|
|Fundamentals of Economics|
|Micro Economic Principles|
|Elements of econometrics|
|Theories in economics|
PGD Economics: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have a background in economics at bachelor’s level.
- Those who have a career in Indian Economic Services in mind.
- Those who are looking for Entrepreneurial ventures.
- Those aiming at higher studies can also opt for the course.
PGD Economics: Career Prospects
PGD Economics pass out students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Banker, Economic officer, Business analyst, Risk analyst, Investment consultant, Professor etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where PGD in economics postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Banker||Work of a banker involves handling day to day activities in a bank in regards to service delivery and customer grievance redressal.||INR 2.74-2.92 Lacs|
|Economic Service Officer||It is a public sector job that involves working in the capacity of an officer at ministerial and departmental level.||INR 5.3-6.5 Lacs|
|Risk Analyst||The job involves analysis and weighing of assets and securities based on the associated risk involved.||INR 2.68-3.1 Lacs|
|Investment Consultant||The job involves tendering investment-related advice to clients on the backdrop of market condition analysis.||INR 3.33-3.55 Lacs|
|Professor||It is a teaching based job that involves teaching the subject to the student.||INR 3.2-3.42 Lacs|