M.Arch. is a 2- year postgraduate course divided into 4 semesters. The minimum eligibility for pursuing this course is a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture with a minimum aggregate score of 50%, completed from a recognized institution.
Top Institutes offering M.Arch. Course are:
- IIT, Roorkee
- Sir JJ Institute of Architecture, Mumbai
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- CEPT University, Ahmedabad
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India varies between INR 50,000 and 2 Lacs, depending upon the institute offering the course.
The course prepares enrolled students in the basics of planning and its applications in daily life. The course explores on an advanced level, the goals of sustained development, planning, and urban and rural physical and social dimensions.
Successful postgraduates of the course are hired in capacities such as Town Planner, Draughtsman etc. The average annual salary offered to such postgraduates in India varies between INR 3 and 10 Lacs.
Top Colleges for Master of Architecture [M.Arch.]
- Master of Architecture [M.Arch.] in Maharashtra
- Master of Architecture [M.Arch.] in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Architecture [M.Arch.] in Karnataka
- M.Arch in Delhi-NCR
- M.Arch in Maharashtra
- M.Arch in Chennai
M.Arch.: Course Highlights
|Name of the course||Master of Architecture|
|Course Level||Post graduation|
|Duration||2 years (4 semesters)|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation in Architecture (B.Arch.)|
|Admission Process||Based on merit at the graduation level, entrance tests and interviews in case of some institutes|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50 K to 2 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 Lacs to 10 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Companies|
- Sahara Group
- Eros Group
M.Arch.: What is it About?
Architecture is a discipline or art of designing and constructing buildings. The course essentially involves concepts of planning, architecture, and design fundamentals. It incorporates elements of both rural and urban infrastructure, imparted through a professionally oriented curriculum.
The Council of Architecture (COA) serves as a regulating body concerned with education and practice of this profession. Master of Architecture or M.Arch. course is not just limited to buildings but is also involved with designing or construction of Parks, Museums, Garden, Theme Parks, etc.
There are various specializations under this domain of study, such as Landscape Architecture, Green Architecture, Naval Architecture amongst many others.
M.Arch.: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each:
|College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees|
|School of Planning and Architecture||New Delhi||55,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Roorkee||50,000|
|Sir Jj College of Architecture||Mumbai||10,000|
|National Institute of Technology - [NIT]||Thiruchirapalli||2 Lacs|
|CEPT University||Ahmedabad||3.33 Lacs|
|IIT, Roorkee||Roorkee||22.9 k|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi||Delhi||40.3 k|
|Manipal University||Manipal||1.36 Lacs|
|Anna University||Chennai||42.9 k|
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course need to have completed graduation in Architecture from a recognized university with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
M.Arch.: Admission Process
Admission to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance examination, such as GATE, CEED, TANCET etc. some such exams are listed here with their details.
- GATE- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is conducted jointly by IITs and the Indian Institute of Science. The minimum eligibility to take the test is graduation.
- CEED- Common Entrance Examination for Design is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science and IITs. The minimum eligibility to take the test is graduation in design, fine arts, or engineering from a recognized institution. The syllabus of the exam comprises questions related to design and general awareness, visual design, sketching, observation, design thinking ability, visual communication design etc. Interview is the last stage.
Also, there are some colleges and universities that conduct their own entrance tests for admission to the course, while some offer direct admission too.
Latest Master of Architecture [M.Arch.] Admission Alert
- Jawaharlal Nehru Fine Arts University (JNAFAU) M.Tech Admissions 2019: Entrance Exam, Result, Placement, Fees
- SRM University M.Tech/M.Arch and Ph.D. Admission 2019
- Kalasalingam University UG, PG and Ph.D. Admissions 2019
- Biju Patnaik University of Technology M.Tech, M.Pharm and M.Arch Admission 2019
- Visvesvaraya Technological University M.Tech and M.Arch Admission 2019
- Sathyabama University ME, M.Tech, M.Arch Admissions 2019
M.Arch.: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester- wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is given here.
Contemporary Processes in Architectural Design I
Contemporary Processes in Architectural Design II
Urban Conservation and Practice
Performance Evaluation of Buildings
Traditional and Contemporary Landscapes
Services in High Rise Buildings
Sustainable and Green Building Design
Urban Landscape Design
Urban Design Studio
Web Design and Portfolio Production
Landscape Ecology and Planning
Advanced Architectural Design Studio I
Emerging Practices in Housing
Building Information Modelling
Research Methodologies in Architecture
Architecture and Critical Theory
Building Management and Control Systems
Appropriate Technologies and Sustainable Construction
Advanced Architectural Design Studio II
GIS Modelling in Urban Planning
Sustainability and Energy Conservation in Landscape Architecture
M.Arch.: Who Should opt?
Aspiring candidates capable of planning and visualizing a design on paper and drawing it with pencils to give it a form are ideally suited for the course. The course requires aptitude in architecture and designing subjects, which is why ideal candidates would be interested in and capable of executing planning of urban and rural infrastructure.
M.Arch.: Career Prospects
Successful postgraduates of the course are hired in capacities such as Architectural Consultant, in organizations such as DLF, L&T, Sahara Group, Eros Group etc.
Such postgraduates find lucrative career opportunities in areas such as:
- Central and State Public Work Departments
- Urban Development Corporations
- State Housing Boards
- Town and Country Planning Organization
- Department of Railways
- National Institutes of Urban Affairs and Housing
- National Building Organization
- City Development Authorities
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Profile||Description||Average Annual CTC in INR|
|Design Architect||An Architectural Designer is involved in the design of buildings or urban landscapes.||2.5-10 Lacs|
|Project Architect||A Project Architect is responsible for overseeing the architectural aspects of the development of the design and production of construction documents and specifications.||3-9 Lacs|
|Landscape Architect||A Landscape Architect is an expert in design of outdoor public areas, landmarks, and structures||2-7 Lacs|
|Project Manager||A Project Manager has the overall responsibility of the successful initiation, planning, design, execution, monitoring, controlling and closure of a project.||2-8 Lacs|
|Assistant Professor||An Assistant Professor teaches in architecture colleges to undergraduate students.||2.5-9 Lacs|