M.Phil. in Public Administration is a 2 year Post-Graduate academic research course in the domain of Public administration, eligibility to which is having a master’s degree with minimum 55% marks in related field from any recognized central or state/private/deemed university.
The course is offered by various colleges/universities across the country however, seats per course are not very extensive and have a limited intake.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering this course are:
- Anna Adarsh College for Women
- Annamalai University
- Chaudhary Charan Singh University
- Desh Bhagat University
- Himachal Pradesh University
- Jiwaji University
- Kurukshetra University
- Madras Christian College
The average fee charged for the course across various across colleges and universities ranges from INR 5,000 to 30,000 depending on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
Admission to the course is based on percentage of marks obtained by candidate at Post Graduate (PG) level. There are certain colleges/universities that follow Common Entrance Test (CET) based admission criteria however, mostly admission are based on Merit-based system (Percentage of marks at PG level).
M.Phil. in Public Administration is a higher education course in the field of Public Administration. It aims at providing doctoral level research and understanding of the subjects to the students. Since it is a higher level course it deals with much specific kind of content but deals it with detail.
M.Phil. in Public administration student can have variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a career as Journalist, Policy planner, Social worker, bureaucrat, Professor, NGO worker, etc. Students of the course are well equipped with the knowledge of political and practical aspects of Public Administration and thus are suitable to undertake various roles in the domain of politico-administrative works.
M.Phil in Public Administration degree holders can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 12,000 to 20,000 per month.
M.Phil. in Public Administration: Course Highlight Table
|Duration of Course||2 Years|
|Admission process||Merit-based (Based on PG percentage)/ Entrance Test based|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise|
|Eligibility||Graduation from any college/university with a minimum of 55% (relax able for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level.|
|Top recruiting areas||Civil Services, Social work, NGOs, Teaching, Political scientist, Policy planning|
|Job Profiles||Civil servant, Social Worker, Professor, Policy Planner, NGO worker.|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 30,000|
|Average starting salary||INR 12,000 to 20,000|
Top Colleges for M.Phil. (Public Administration)
- M.Phil. (Public Administration) in Tamil Nadu
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Telangana
M.Phil. in Public Administration: What is it about?
M.Phil. in Public Administration is a research based course which involves academic research and knowledge about applicability of the subject. It builds on the knowledge base that students have acquired at their UG and PG level.
Students are encouraged to take research projects under the guidance of their professor who guide candidates in preparing their thesis or research report. The very idea behind this approach is to make sure that the student acquires a comprehensive understanding of the domain as required at such a higher level of academics.
The purpose and motive of the course structure, design, and syllabus speaks about its aim which is directed towards equipping candidates with holistic overview of the subject through a practical based approach. Thus, a student of the course is equipped with all the necessary knowledge and skills in the respective domain.
M.Phil. in Public Administration: Top Institutes
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Anna Adarsh College for Women||Chennai||INR 7,000|
|Annamalai University||Cuddalore||INR 10, 500|
|Chaudhary Charan Singh University||Merrut||INR 12,000|
|Desh Bhagat University||Fatehgarh Sahib||INR 10, 170|
|Himachal Pradesh University||Shimla||INR 5,000|
|Jiwaji University||Gwalior||INR 3,062|
|Kurukshetra University||Kurukshetra||INR 5,200|
|Madras Christian College||Chennai||INR 10,500|
|Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Open University||Hyderabad||INR 6,000|
Interested candidates can make an application for admission in the above mentioned Universities and colleges. Students can also search for an option in face of institutes offering the course in their local region/region of residence in case they are not willing to relocate for the purpose of their graduation.
M.Phil. in Public Administration: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the PG or equivalent examination from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University with at least 55% (45% to 50% for reserved category candidates) of the marks.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at PG level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable for them.
- Certain Institute provides admission through Common Entrance Test (CET). To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.Phil. in Public Administration: Admission Process
The process of admission for the course is a mix of both merit-based selection procedure and a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country).
Some Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into the course hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counselling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
However, in most of the colleges, the admission process would be based on merit and would involve college displaying cut-off for the course (till the seats are filled) and candidates satisfying the cut-off percentage visiting the college and getting admissions.
Latest M.Phil. (Public Administration) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) Ph.D and M.Phil Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Krishna University (KU) M.Phil and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- IGNOU M.Phil. and Ph.D. Admission 2019: Entrance Exam, Last Date, Online Application
- EFLU Admissions 2019: Courses, Application Form , Eligibility
M.Phil. in Public Administration: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 4 semesters spread over a span of two years with each year comprising of two semesters. The syllabus of the course is divided into various parts and modules that students are taught during the course of their post graduation. The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below for the reference of the candidates.
1st year of study
|Year I||Year II|
|Philosophical Foundations of Administrative Theory||Computer Applications in Public Administration|
|Advanced Research Methodology and Research in Public Administration||Dissertation|
|Public Policy||Viva Voce Examination|
|Local Governance in India||Research design preparation and presentation|
|Dynamics of Social Administration||Exercise /Practical work|
|Enterprise Management|| -|
M.Phil. in Public Administration: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in the domain of Public Administration.
- Those who have a career in civil services in mind can also try their hands at this course.
- Those who are looking for a career in the field of Teaching.
- Those aiming at career as political researcher can also opt for the course.
M.Phil. in Public Administration: Career Prospects
M.Phil in Public Administration degree holders have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose from areas like Civil Services, Social work, NGOs, Teaching, Political scientist, Policy planning etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where M.Phil. Public Administration can look for in terms of their career.
|Job Profile||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Civil Servant||Working in civil services involves implementation, formulation, and execution of government’s policy in public domain.||INR 7-8 Lacs|
|Social Worker||A Social Worker is involved in working and implementation of policy of government by making them reach the last mile beneficiaries.||INR 2- 2.4 Lacs|
|NGO Worker||A NGO worker can indulge in various areas of public policy implementation in order to enhance the accessibility of government’s scheme.||INR 1.8 – 2.0 Lacs|
|Policy Researcher||Policy researchers are involved in a variety of works like public policy analysis, political situation analysis, and understanding of welfare mechanism machinery of government and public-private relations. They can work with a news agency or organization as well as indulge in freelancing assignments.||INR 2.0-2.2 Lacs|
|Professor||This would involve regular teaching job of teaching the subject to college level students. There are plenty of options in private sector as well government sector.||INR 1.8- 2 Lacs|