Master of Engineering (ME) in VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration) Design is a Post Graduate course in the domain of electronics engineering with a specialization in the field of VLSI based circuit design. The course is divided into four semesters spanning over a duration of two years. Eligibility Criteria for the course is minimum of 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level is the least which almost all the institutes desire from applying candidates.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- Adhiparasakthi Engineering College
- Adithya Institute of Technology
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
- Anna University
- Arasu Engineering College
- ARM College of Engineering and Technology
- AVS Engineering College
- Balaji Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Coimbatore Institute of Engineering and Technology
The fee for the course varies between INR 50,000 to 2 Lacs in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
Admission procedure for the course involves both a Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criteria that is the percentage of marks obtained at Under Graduate (UG) level. Most of the colleges who provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of All India level common entrance exams like GATE, BITSAT etc. while a select few opt for a separate entrance exam of their own like LUPNEST of Lovely Professional University.
The course structure is designed to provide domain-specific skills and knowledge to the master’s level students so as to equip them with a holistic knowledge of the VLSI based Integrated circuit design in a manner that they are able to persecute the learning in the practical sense.
M.E. in VLSI Design degree holders have a wide range of job opportunities like Design Engineer, Project Designer, Technical lead, Networking engineer etc. After completion of post graduation, one has the option to pursue further studies like M.Phil and Ph.D. in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between INR15,000 and 20,000 a month.
Top Colleges for Master of Engineering [ME] (VLSI Design)
- Master of Engineering [ME] (VLSI Design) in Tamil Nadu
- ME/M.Tech in Delhi-NCR
- ME/M.Tech in Maharashtra
- ME/M.Tech in Chennai
- ME/M.Tech in Uttar Pradesh
- ME/M.Tech in Telangana
M.E. in VLSI Design: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 50% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level in any stream.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 50,000 to INR 2.75 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR15,000 to 20,000 per month|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Wipro, Honeywell, HCL, Philips, Motorola etc.|
|Job Positions||Design Engineer, Project Designer, Technical lead, Networking engineer|
M.E. in VLSI Design: What is it about?
VLSI design has become an important aspect of the electronics industry in the contemporary times. Most of the electronics items that we see in our day to day life like LCD monitors, TVs, Smartphones, Laptops, etc are based on Integrated Circuits (IC) based design. The design of these IC circuits is in turn based on the practical application of the knowledge of the VLSI design.
M.E. in VLSI design course is framed in such a manner that students are provided with practical and analytical outlook in relation to circuit designing involving VLSI. Students are taught about the various aspects related to the VLSI design like usage of design software applications, circuit simulation, circuit design, implementation, and testing.
A post graduate in VLSI design would be facing certain challenges in the practical domain in face of complex digital circuit design, prescribing its scalability and suitability etc when he/she enters the job market. The course is thus designed to equip the students with respective knowledge and skill in the domain so, that they are able to handle these challenges effectively.
M.E. in VLSI Design: Top Institutes
A good number of colleges/universities across the country offer the Master of Engineering (ME) in VLSI Design course to candidates who have passed their UG examination from a recognized state or central University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Adhiparasakthi Engineering College||Vellore||INR 60,000|
|Adithya Institute of Technology||Coimbatore||INR 28,000|
|Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University||Delhi||INR 48,500|
|Anna University||Madurai||INR 46,470|
|Arasu Engineering College||Chennai||INR 95,000|
|ARM College of Engineering and Technology||Kanchipuram||INR 11,405|
|AVS Engineering College||Salem||INR 95,000|
|Balaji Institute of Engineering and Technology||Chennai||INR 45, 220|
|Coimbatore Institute of Engineering and Technology||Coimbatore||INR 60,000|
M.E. in VLSI Design: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the B.E/B.Tech or equivalent examination in Electronics and Communication/Instrumentation/Computer Science/Information Technology from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University. He/she must have obtained at least 50% (40% to 45% for reserved category candidates) of the marks at graduation level.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at UG level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s (like asking for work experience in the respective domain) which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like GATE, BITSAT). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.E. in VLSI Design: Admission Process
Admissions to the course are based on a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country).
- Students who have passed their UG level examinations with a minimum of 50% marks (40% to 45% for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.E courses (like LUPNEST) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like GATE, BITSAT. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling process by the respective university or college.
- After counselingprocess final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Master of Engineering [ME] (VLSI Design) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University MVSc And M.Tech Admission 2019
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) M.Tech Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) M.Tech. Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Osmania University (OU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
M.E. in VLSI Design: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 4 semesters spread over a span of two years with each year comprising of two semesters. The syllabus of the course is divided into various parts and modules that students are taught during the course of their post-graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to VLSI designing so as to provide a holistic understanding of the domain to the master’s students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below for the reference to the candidates.
|Year I||Year II|
|Applied Mathematics for Electronics Engineers||Digital Image Processing|
|Digital CMOS VLSI Design||Computer Architecture|
|Analog IC design||Optimization Techniques in VLSI|
|Statistical Signal Processing||RF System design|
|CAD for VLSI Circuits||Embedded Systems|
|ASIC Design||VLSI and Wireless communication|
|Hardware Software Co-design||Data Converters|
|VLSI Signal Processing||Projects|
|Testing of VLSI circuits||Practical|
M.E. in VLSI Design: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have the practical and analytical mindset and like to indulge in problem-solving.
- Those who have a career in electronics circuit designing in mind.
- Those who are looking for a career in Indian Engineering Services.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M.E. in VLSI Design: Career Prospects
Master of Engineering (ME) in VLSI Design Postgraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Design Engineer, Project Designer, Technical lead, networking engineer etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where ME (VLSI Design) postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Job Profile||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Design Engineer||Work of Design engineer involves the creation of a blueprint for designing of the electronic circuit.||INR 2.8-3 Lacs|
|Project Designer||The job involves phasing out a plan for overall designing of the circuit along with various parts and components that are to be assembled in the circuit.||INR 2.6-2.8 Lacs|
|Technical Lead||The job involves working in a team based set-up to develop an electronic circuit project that is assigned to the team.||INR 2.6-3 Lacs|
|Simulation Expert||The job involves running and testing of the project/circuit on the virtual platform using ICT tools before its actual implementation to detect any flaw in the design.||INR 2.8-3 Lacs|
|Testing Engineer||Testing engineers are entrusted with the job of testing that whether each component in the circuit is working to its efficiency or not||INR 2.6-2.73 Lacs|