M.V.Sc. Veterinary Biochemistry is a Post Graduate course in the domain of veterinary sciences with a specialization in biochemistry and its related processes. A minimum of 60% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG (Under Graduation) level is the least which almost all the institutes desire from applying candidates as an eligibility criterion.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- College of Veterinary and Animal Science
- Bombay Veterinary College
- Indian Veterinary Research Institute
- National Dairy Research Institute
- GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology
- Veterinary College and Research Institute
- Birsa Agricultural University
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University
- Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Science University
The range of average fee for the course varies between INR 30,000 to 2, 50,000 in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry course admission is based on Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method as well as merit-based selection criteria that are the percentage of marks obtained at Under Graduate (UG) level. Most of the colleges who provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of national level common exams like ICAR EE or go for a separate entrance exam of their own (Like Agriculture University of Gujarat).
The course is designed to provide requisite veterinary skills and knowledge to the master’s level students that would be required for the effective and efficient rehabilitation and treatment of animal as a part of their professional career. Thus the aim is to make them able to take on the day to day challenges that would come in the persecution of their skill at the practical level.
MVSc in Veterinary Biochemistry postgraduates have a wide range of job opportunities to choose from. One can work with firms and establishment such as Pharmaceuticals, Animal farms, Zoos, Veterinary hospitals etc. After completion of post graduation, students can go for higher studies in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between INR17, 000 and 22, 000 a month for a fresh pass out.
Top Colleges for Master of Veterinary Science [MVSc] (Veterinary Biochemistry)
- MVSc in Delhi-NCR
- MVSc in Maharashtra
- MVSc in Chennai
- MVSc in Uttar Pradesh
- MVSc in Telangana
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 60% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 30,000 to INR 2.50 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 17,000 to 22,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Pharmaceuticals, Animal farms, Zoos, Veterinary hospitals|
|Job Position||Animal farm manager, Veterinary consultant, Veterinary doctor, Biological Scientist, Pharmacy researcher, Lab manager etc.|
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry: What is it about?
Veterinary Science is that area of medical science which deals with treatment and rehabilitation of animals. Over the years the domain of veterinary science has become a specialized sub-domain of medical studies dealing holistically with animal health and treatment.
Animals are a crucial element in the agricultural and allied sector and required for various activities like rearing of the field, plugging of fields, in the dairy industry, in meat industry etc. To keep them functioning at their full efficiency it is necessary that their health standards are maintained.
To maintain their health standards there is a need for qualified and trained veterinary professionals. A master’s course in veterinary science (Veterinary Biochemistry) churns out a veterinary professional out of a student by equipping him aptly in an academic and practical manner through the gradual and progressive nature of course design and academic calendar.
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry: Top Institutes offering the course
Master of Veterinary Science (MVSc) in Veterinary Biochemistry is offered as a course by many reputed colleges/universities to candidates who have passed their UG examination from a recognized state or central University.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee Per annum basis|
|College of Veterinary and Animal Science||Udaipur||INR 12,470|
|Bombay Veterinary College||Mumbai||INR 45,500|
|Indian Veterinary Research Institute||Bareilly||INR 9,800|
|National Dairy Research Institute||Karnal||INR 15,600|
|GB Pant University of Agriculture and Technology||Pantnagar||INR 76,800|
|Veterinary College and Research Institute||Namakkal||INR 32,450|
|Birsa Agricultural University||Ranchi||INR 12,220|
|Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University||Tirupati||INR 29, 420|
|Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Science University||Ludhiana||INR 40,000|
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the BVSc/Bachelor’s in Animal Husbandry final year examination from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University with at least 60% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the Subject/Subjects at UG level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (like work experience of certain years).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like ICAR EE). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common for most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry: Admission Process
Admissions to the course are done through a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various universities and colleges in the country).
- Students who have passed their UG level examinations with a minimum of 60% marks (relaxable for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering the course.
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into MVSc courses (like Gujarat Agriculture University) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like ICAR EE. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
- The new academic year begins after the completion of all the above processes.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
Latest Master of Veterinary Science [MVSc] (Veterinary Biochemistry) Admission Alert
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University MVSc And M.Tech Admission 2019
- KVASU M.V.Sc. and Ph.D. Admission 2019
- TANUVAS PG Admission 2019
- Maharashtra Animal and Fisheries Science University (MAFSU) M.Tech and MVSc Admissions 2019
- Chhattisgarh Kamdhenu Vishwavidyalaya (CGKV) M.V.Sc/M.Sc & Ph.D Admission 2019
- Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology UG and PG Admissions 2019
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into four semesters spread over a span of two years. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and practical skills that students are taught during the course of their post-graduation. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to Veterinary Biochemistry so as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the master’s level students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Year I||Year II|
|Fundamentals of Biochemistry||Vaccine application|
|Animal Immunology||Animal hybrid technology|
|Molecular Biology||Advanced treatment methodology|
|Elective subjects||Practical Training|
|Practical Work||Report and Viva-Voce|
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have a background in Veterinary sciences or animal husbandry at graduation level.
- Those who have a career as a Veterinary doctor in mind.
- Those who are looking at research and development jobs in the field of animal healthcare.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M.V.Sc. in Veterinary Biochemistry: Career Prospects
MVSc (Veterinary Biochemistry) postgraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as Animal farm manager, Veterinary consultant, Veterinary doctor, Biological Scientist, Pharmacy researcher, Lab manager etc.
To provide you a complete view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where MVSc postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Veterinary doctor||It is a typical job in the sector which involves treatment and rehabilitation of animals in clinics or veterinary hospitals.||INR 2.95-3.66 Lacs|
|Biological Scientist||Biological Scientists are involved in research and analysis work in regard to animal hybrid and animal epidemiology.||INR 3.16-3.75 Lacs|
|Pharmaceutical researcher||The job involves research and development in regards to animal medication so as to tackle the emerging epidemiological challenges effectively.||INR 3.15 -3.5Lacs|
|Veterinary consultant||A veterinary consultant is someone who provides specialized advice to animal farm managers, poultry manager, farmers etc in regards to their animal’s health management.||INR 2.85-3.44 Lacs|
|Lab manager||It is a supervisory or oversight based job that involves one to oversee the functioning of a laboratory-based setup.||INR 2.92-3.32 Lacs|