Ph.D. in Marathi is the highest degree certification that one can obtain in the subject/language. It is doctorate-level academic course/degree that one can obtain under the respective discipline. The duration of the course is five years (a minimum of three years in certain cases) and the minimum eligibility criterion for admission in Post Graduate qualification/M.Phil in the respective language.
Ph.D. in Marathi admissions are done on the basis of percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at Post Graduate (PG)/M.Phil level. Apart from merit-based process certain colleges/universities take admissions based on the score of some popular entrance exam for Ph.D.
There is also an option for working candidates to pursue the course through distance education mechanism or for someone who is not having the time to pursue the course in full-time. Those who are looking for funding or fellowship for the course have to fulfill the required eligibility criteria (along with clearing of a respective exam for that purpose) in order to receive the grants.
The course is aimed at providing detailed knowledge and skills to the students so as to make them well aware of each and every aspect related to the Marathi language.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University
- Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya
- Dhanaji Nana Mahavidyalaya
- Gulbarga University
- KTHM College
- Osmania University
- North Maharashtra University
- University of Mumbai
The fee for the course ranges from INR 10,000 to 1.2 lacs across various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
Ph.D. in Marathi student can have a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a career as a language expert, Marathi writer, Translator, academic researcher, literary critic, Teacher etc. Doctorate in Marathi language students are well equipped with the knowledge and application of the language in respect to its transaction in the day to day life and thus are suitable to undertake various roles in the domain associated with the usage of the language. A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 20,000 to INR 23,000 per month.
Ph.D. in Marathi: Course Highlight Table
|Course Type||Doctorate (P.hD.)|
|Area Concerned||Indian Language (Marathi)|
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Entrance Test based/Merit-based (Based on PG/M.Phil percentage)|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise|
|Eligibility||Post Graduation/M.Phil. From any college/university with a minimum of 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks.|
|Top recruiting areas||language expertise, Marathi writing, Translation, academic research, literary work, Teaching|
|Job Profiles||Language expertise, Academic researcher, Teacher, Translator, Writer|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to INR 1, 20,000|
|Average starting salary||INR 20,000 to INR 23,000|
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Marathi)
- Ph.D. (Marathi) in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Telangana
Ph.D. in Marathi: What is it about?
Marathi forms a crucial part of the group of Indian origin languages. The language is spoken mainly in the Deccan and Konkani regions of the country comprising the states of Maharashtra and Goa.
A doctorate level course in the language offers a platform for the students to develop an expertise in the language by getting into the insight of the language. The course aims at building on the language base that students have developed at the Bachelor’s and Master’s level by involving students in research and practical work related to the language.
Through research, practicals, and presentation the course curriculum aims at preparing the students into an overall language expert who is ready to take on the job market as well as the outside domain with the usage of the language through his/her skills and expertise in the domain.
Ph.D. in Marathi: Top Institutes
A good number of colleges across the country offer the course to candidates who have passed their PG/M.Phil from a recognized state or central University. Students can take admission in the course either through Common Entrance Test conducted by colleges/Universities or by applying to the various institutes offering this course based on their performance at the PG level.
|Bharati Vidyapeeth University||Pune||INR 30,000|
|Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya||Indore||INR 20,667|
|Goa University||North Goa||INR 25, 500|
|Dhanaji Nana Mahavidyalaya||Jalgaon||INR 10,000|
|Gulbarga University||Gulbarga||INR 44, 465|
|Jijamata Mahavidyalaya||Buldhana||INR 16,500|
|KTHM College||Nasik||INR 18,000|
|Osmania University||Hyderabad||INR 1,000|
|North Maharashtra University||Jalgaon||INR 12,000|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 10,000|
Interested candidates can make an application for admission to the above-mentioned Universities and colleges. Students can also search for an option in face of institutes offering the course in their local region/region or distance learning option in case they are not willing to relocate for the purpose of their doctorate.
Ph.D. in Marathi: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the PG/M.Phil. Examination from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University with at least 55% (45% to 50% for reserved category candidates) of the marks.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at PG/M.Phil. level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institute take admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) like UGC NET, CSIR NET etc. To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
Ph.D. in Marathi: Admission Process
Most Universities/Colleges offer admission based on the score of CET (like UGC NET, CSIR NET etc) or conduct their own entrance test (like Lovely Professional University) for admission into P.hD. courses hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D. (Marathi) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) Ph.D and M.Phil Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Krishna University (KU) M.Phil and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- IGNOU M.Phil. and Ph.D. Admission 2019: Entrance Exam, Last Date, Online Application
- EFLU Admissions 2019: Courses, Application Form , Eligibility
Ph.D. in Marathi: Syllabus and Course description
The course has a variable time duration of 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain related to the application and usage of Marathi language.
The detailed description of the syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Philosophy of the language|
|Historical aspects of the language|
|Writing of essay, texts, and précis in the language|
Ph.D. in Marathi: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have interest in the language.
- Those who have an academic background in the Marathi language.
- Those who are looking for a career in the field of literary research.
- Those looking at a career as writer or critic in the domain of Marathi language.
Ph.D. in Marathi: Career Prospects
Ph.D. in Marathi pass outs students have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose from areas like language expert, translator, author, language critic, teacher etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Marathi language doctorates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Language Expert||A language expert is one who has a good knowledge of language and is able to apply the same in practical aspect. He can act in multiple roles like content creator, proofreader, translator etc.||INR 2.5-2.8 Lacs|
|Author|| An author is one who writes original content in the language in terms of poetry, literature or drama.||INR 2.4- 2.8 Lacs|
|Professor|| The job involves teaching the subject to college level students in private or government institutes||INR 2.8 – 3 Lacs|
|Content Developer||The job involves creating authentic content in the language for Marathi journals, newspaper, and Multi-media||INR 2.4-2.6 Lacs|
|Academic Researcher|| An academic researcher is involved in the research and development activities that take place in relation to the language||INR 2.6- 3 Lacs|