Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering is a 3 to 5-year doctorate level degree program in the area of Engineering with a special focus on Petroleum and its related aspects. It is the highest level academic course that can be pursued in the domain. The minimum eligibility criterion for admission is 55% marks at M.Phil or equivalent level in the subject.
The course is designed to deliver in-depth knowledge and skills to the doctorate level students so as to make them well aware of each and every aspect related to the domain of Petroleum Engineering. Some of the popular colleges/universities offering Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering course are:
- Dehradun Institute of Technology
- Dibrugarh University
- Graphic Era University
- MIT- World Peace University
The fee for the course ranges from 15,000 to 3 Lacs across various colleges and universities in the country that are offering the course. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government.
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering admissions are done on the basis of percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at Post Graduate (PG)/M.Phil level. Candidates who are looking for funding or fellowship for the pursuance of the course have to fulfill the required eligibility criteria (along with clearing of a respective exam for that purpose) in order to receive the grants.
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering degree holder has a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a start with firms in the domain of refining, drilling, production, petroleum product manufacture, etc. Since Doctorate students are well equipped with the knowledge and application of the subject in practicality and they are well suited for undertaking various roles at the industry level. A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 21,000 to INR 24,000 per month. The average salary range across the country varies with a little variation here and there.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Petroleum Engineering)
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Engineering in Telangana
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering:Course Highlight Table
|Area Concerned||Applied Science|
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Entrance Test based/Merit-based (Based on PG/M.Phil percentage)|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise/Yearly exam based|
|Eligibility||Post Graduation/M.Phil. From any college/university with a minimum of 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks.|
|Top recruiting areas||Refining, Drilling, Production, Petroleum product manufacture etc.|
|Job Profiles||Production engineer, Safety officer, Production Supervisor, Researcher, Professor, Process manager|
|Course Fee||INR 15,000 to INR 3 Lacs|
|Average starting salary||INR 21,000 to INR 24,000|
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering: What is it About?
Engineering by its nature is a field of application of technology in various domains of day to day life. In the context of Petroleum, the study of engineering focuses on the application of technology in regards to the process of extraction, refining, and production of petroleum and its related products.
Petroleum being touted as the black gold is seen as the driver of all the major activities that we do on regular basis, be it the economic cycle of production or day to day commutation. Hence, proper knowledge gained through Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering can do wonders for a country.
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering offers a platform for the students to develop an expertise in the subject by getting into the insight of the domain. The course aims at building on the knowledge and skill base that students have developed at their Bachelor’s and Master’s level by involving students in research and practical work.
Through research, practical based knowledge, and presentation, Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering course curriculum aims at preparing the students into an overall domain expert who is ready to take on the job market.
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering: Top Institutes
A good number of colleges across the country offer the course to candidates who have passed their PG/M.Phil from a recognized state or central University. Students can take admission in Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering course either through the Common Entrance Test conducted by colleges/Universities or by applying to the various institutes offering this course based on their academic performance till M.Phil/PG.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Dehradun Institute of Technology||Dehradun||INR 79,500|
|Dibrugarh University||Dibrugarh||INR 68,667|
|Graphic Era University||Dehradun||INR 1,70, 500|
|MIT- World Peace University||Pune||INR 59, 465|
|School of Petroleum Technology||Raebareli||INR 9,500|
|Karnataka University||Dharwad||INR 55,000|
|Kerala University||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 18,000|
|Panjab University||Chandigarh||INR 1, 760|
|University of Rajasthan||Jaipur||INR 32,000|
Students can also search for an option in face of institutes offering the course in their local region/region or distance learning option in case they are not willing to relocate for the purpose of their doctorate.
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the PG/M.Phil. Examination from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University with at least 55% (50% to 45% for reserved category candidates) of the marks at M.Phil/PG level in the respective domain of study.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at PG/M. Phil level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (Like work or research experience in the domain).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail of the benefits applicable to them.
- Certain Institutes grant admissions to Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering course through Common Entrance Test (CET) like UGC NET, CSIR NET etc. To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering course to the students.
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering: Admission Process
Students who have passed their PG/M. Phil level examinations with a minimum of 55% marks (50% to 45% for reserved category students) can make application in colleges offering Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering course.
- Most Universities/Colleges offer admission based on the score of CET (like UGC NET, CSIR NET etc) or conduct their own entrance test (like DU) for admission into Ph.D. courses hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D. (Petroleum Engineering) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- JNTU Hyderabad Ph.D and M.Phil Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Result, Fees
- Birla Institute of Technology (BIT) Mesra Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Cut Off, Placement, Fees
- Christ University Ph.D. Admissions 2019
- SRM University M.Tech/M.Arch and Ph.D. Admission 2019
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The course has a variable time duration of 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain related subject and practical/research modules. The detailed description of the syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Petroleum Reservoir management|
|Oil and Gas Field development|
|Artificial lift techniques|
|Coalbed methane technology|
|Advanced Natural Gas Engineering|
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done M.Phil/ Masters in the domain of Petroleum engineering.
- Those who have an interest in research and analysis.
- Those who are looking for a career in production and extraction of petroleum.
- Those looking at a career as a subject expert.
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering: Career Prospects
Ph.D. in Petroleum Engineering degree holders have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as a Production engineer, Safety officer, Production Supervisor, Researcher, Professor, Process manager etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where Ph.D. holders can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Production Engineer||A production engineer is involved in the task of oversight of the technical aspects in regards to the extraction of petroleum.||INR 3.5-3.75 Lacs|
|Safety Officer||The job involves comprehensive oversight of the Safety conditions at production and exploration site.||INR 3.14- 3.48 Lacs|
|Process Manager||The job involves supervision of the staff and the level of their day to day work.||INR 3.28 – 3.40 Lacs|
|Professor||The job involves regular teaching work at the University/College level.||INR 2.84-3.16 Lacs|
|Academic Researcher||An academic researcher is involved in the research and development activities that take place in relation to the domain of Petroleum engineering||INR 2.66- 2.92 Lacs|