MBA in Design Management is a 2-year full-time postgraduate course divided into 4 semesters. Design, as a universal concept, plays an important role across all fields, such as architecture, advertising, art, Information Technology, and medicine.
The discipline is applied across various such sectors to help promote brands and products, to bring in efficiency in any business practice.
This makes it essential for professionals to possess practical knowledge of designing based on the relevant trends in the market, and how they affect management practices.
|Top Design Management Colleges in Rajasthan||Top Design Management Colleges in Himachal Pradesh||Top Design Management Colleges in Karnataka||Top Design Management Colleges in Maharashtra|
As an academic discipline, Design Management encompasses:
- On-going business processes, business decisions, and strategies.
- Business-based innovation and creation of services.
- Introduction of effective design to products, environments, communications, and brands.
- Tools for organizational success, and interrelationship between design, technology, innovation, management, and customers.
- Effecting competitive advantage across the triple bottom line of social/ cultural, economic, and environmental factors.
Design is the art and science of facilitating collaboration and synergy between aesthetics and business to improve organizational impact.
Major components of study included within the discipline are Project Accounting, Core Marketing Concepts, Organizational Behavior, Design Concepts Focused on the User, Creativity for Transcending Traditional Ideologies, Project Management, Operations Management, Strategic Management, Art of Bringing Creativity Into Brands/ Organizations, Concepts of Interior Design, Business Fundamentals, such as Accounting, Marketing, and Management.
Students of the course are taught to:
- Design spaces with fabric, furniture, and lighting, and collaborate practicality with creativity.
- Understand and apply various aspects of design such as space and structures, and the way we interact with them.
- Grasp and apply manipulation of textures, colours, light, and form, and transform visualized intent into creative spaces.
- Design transformational strategies, and manage innovation and new business development in any of all the diverse sectors such as products, services, crafts, governance, life, and entertainment, etc.
- Operate in, and contribute to social enterprises, industries, consultancies, and such.
Such professionals, professionally manage written content in publications such as magazines, books, newspapers, and other such media.
Top Colleges for Master of Business Administration [MBA] (Design Management)
- MBA/PGDM in Delhi-NCR
- MBA/PGDM in Maharashtra
- MBA/PGDM in Chennai
- MBA/PGDM in Uttar Pradesh
- MBA/PGDM in Telangana
Job responsibilities of such postgraduates typically include:
- Editing and reviewing written work and sentence structure.
- Making corrections to grammar and spelling, and rewriting stories.
- Performing fact check duties, and helping writers develop their ideas.
- Making publication decisions, and giving final approval to completed work.
- Operating in industries such as fashion or publishing.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 50,000 and 6 Lacs for a span of 2 years.
The average annual salary offered to successful professionals of the discipline in India ranges between INR 2 and 20 lacs, increasing with the candidate’s experience and skill set.
MBA in Design Management: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course:
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Admission Process||based on performance in entrance exam|
|Top recruiting organizations||Steelcase, Motorola, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Information technology, Environment design, Textile industry, Fashion design, and such.|
|Top job profiles||Costume Designer, Technical Designer, Fabric Designer, Fashion Coordinator, among others.|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to 6 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 20 lakhs|
MBA in Design Management: What is it all About?
Students enrolled in the course are imported values of sensitivity and perceptivity, and professional, creative and innovative approaches to looking at life and business processes. Also, such candidates are trained by means of experiential and transformational exposure to the industry in the form of rural exposure, live projects, field studies, environmental exposure, and immersive and participative live-in case studies in social and corporate sectors.
the program has been designed to develop advanced learning in candidates, in terms of:
- Basics of design and management, and design-based research.
- Cognitive neuroscience, social behaviour, multi-sensory processes, entrepreneurship, and designing strategies.
- Behavioural economics, neuro-marketing, aesthetic appreciation, and experience-based design.
- Project management, design audit to service and systems design.
- Creative strategic leadership, and design of contextually effective strategies.
- Business processes, concepts, policies, tools and techniques for any and all design-related sectors.
Top Institutes offering MBA in Design Management
Some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by the respective colleges are listed below:
|Name of Institute||City||Average Annual Fees|
|MIT Institute of Design||Pune||INR 5,08,000|
|Cadence Academy of Design||Nagpur||INR 2,65,000|
|Cindrebay School of Interior Design||Calicut||INR 50,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design||Punjab||INR 4,69,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design||Dehradun||INR 2,80,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design||Hyderabad||INR 76,000|
|International Institute of Fashion Design||Jabalpur||INR 1,30,00|
|International Institute of Fashion Design||Pune||INR 2,49,000|
|Pacific University||Udaipur||INR 70,000|
Eligibility for MBA in Design Management
Listed below are the minimum criteria which candidates interested in pursuing the course are required to fulfil, in order to be eligible to apply for the course:
- Successful completion of graduation in any stream, from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% (50% for SC/ST candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Preferably, relevant previous work experience or prior exposure to design.
MBA in Design Management: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test, often followed by a round of personal interview, wherein their general aptitude for the course is tested. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the level of graduation.
Listed below are the usual stages followed of the entrance exams conducted in the country for admission to the course.
The three sections of the admission process include:
- Design aptitude test
- Studio test
- Personal interview.
Latest Master of Business Administration [MBA] (Design Management) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Lucknow University MBA Admission 2019
- Jamia Millia Islamia M.Tech., M.B.A., and M.C.A. Admission 2019
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
MBA in Design Management: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Management organizational behavior||Accounting for managers|
|Managerial economics||Computer applications in management|
|Customer relationship management||Research methodology|
|Communication skills and report writing||Building materials and elements|
|Foundation to design basic drawing||CAD|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Entrepreneurship development||Professional practice|
|Business laws||Tenders and contracts|
|Interior space planning services||Project management|
|Estimation costing||Project work|
MBA in Design Management: Career Prospects
Design Management is the process of cohesively connecting all aspects involved in the design process including development, design, marketing, technology, and client-based design creation.
Popular hiring areas for such professionals include architecture, advertising, marketing, graphic design, and motion pictures.
Such postgraduates at the entry-level, often work as:
- Production Assistants, and project management assistance.
- Product developers, brand strategists, and project managers.
- Advertising executives, marketing managers, and business directors.
- Graphic designers, art director for plays, magazines, movies, product packaging, and newspapers.
Such professionals are professionally responsible for:
- Reviewing sketches and overseeing set-construction and scene designs.
- Selecting photographs and images to use, and approving final artwork.
- Presenting the finished design product to the client.
Some of the top professional positions open to such postgraduates are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
Costume Designers combine elements of colour and fabric textures to provide a visual understanding of characters in terms of social status, age, occupation, and era. Such designers also often create fashion statements and are a critical element in television shows, theatre productions, and movies.
Costume Design is a branch of fashion design; the majority of Costume Designers hold an undergraduate degree in fashion design.
Fashion Designers and retail companies are some of the employers that hire fashion assistants. Some fashion certificate and degree programs successfully prepare candidates for a career in these positions.
They can occupy entry-level positions across many different realms of the fashion industry. They prefer candidates who graduated from a certificate or degree program, some positions don't require any formal education.
Graphic Design Specialists help clients communicate an appealing image through digital, electronic and print media. They may apply brochures, design logos, signs, movie credits and website graphics. They often work for advertising, marketing, and media management firms.
Designers assess client requirements and design graphic solutions to aid product branding and sales. They also display cultural sensitivity in order to create images that are favourably received by customers.
Merchandise Buyers purchase a broad range of finished goods and products either for wholesalers or retailers. They are responsible for evaluating current trends and negotiating the best price for the products their company sells.
A Bachelor’s degree is generally required to begin a career in this field. There is no required certification as such for this job but options are available that can assist in helping applicants secure employment.
Design Specialists work with computers and may also draw sketches. Designers choose artwork, and type size to produce an effective visual image. They have expertise with software graphics in order to design layouts and create animation effects.
They use computer graphics to animate ideas and information with sound and movement. Also, they work on films, create titles and credits to evoke a feeling that mirrors the movie theme. They may create charts or use a certain colour or typeface to highlight text.