Ph.D. in Animal Science is a 3-year doctorate level research-based programme conducted in the disciplines of taxonomy, genetics, morphology, neurobiology and animal behavior. The course can be pursued by candidates holding M.Phil or Master’s degree in the concerned or related field. Ph.D. candidates are selected on the basis of merit in the Entrance Test conducted by universities and institutions followed by a personal interview along with research proposal acceptance.
Some of the known universities/institutions offering Ph.D. in Animal Science course are:
- Central University of Kerala
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow
- Central University of Punjab
- Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, West Bengal
- Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
Ph.D. in Animal Science aims at providing possibilities in research and doctoral work in the areas of science of genetics, physiology, and animal nutrition improvement. The researches done in these areas can contribute significantly to the management and production practices of the discipline. Scholars will have career opportunities in the contemporary research fields of life sciences.
The average fee for the programme ranges from INR 14,000 to INR 36,000, varying as per university type and examination pattern. The average package for Ph.D. in Animal Science scholar would be over INR 3 Lacs and above, mainly depending on the sector of employment and pre-research work experience. Scholars are likely to get promising jobs as Research Associates or Jr. Research Scientist in educational/research institutions.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (Animal Science)
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Science in Telangana
Ph.D. in Animal Science: Course Highlights
|Duration of Course||3 years|
|Examination Type||Thesis Submission|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in any branch of Life Sciences / Veterinary Sciences with minimum of 60% marks.|
|Admission Process||Written Entrance Test, Personal Interview and or Research Proposal Presentation|
|Average Course Fee||INR 14,000 – INR 36,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 Lacs – INR 6 Lacs|
|Recruiting Areas||Private Clinics, Educational Institutions, Research Institutions, Pharmaceutical Firms, Breeding Associations and Food & Feed Industries|
|Job Profiles||Veterinarian, Animal Nutritionist, Research Associate and Jr. Research Scientist|
Ph.D. in Animal Science: What is it About?
Ph.D. in Animal Science course involves the intensive application of both practical and theoretical knowledge of subjects in Animal Science. The research work can be conducted in subjects of taxonomy and systematics, genetics, cell and developmental biology, physiology, morphology, neurobiology, animal behavior, and ecology.
On completion of the course, Ph.D. in Animal Science degree holder can take up posts in research, managerial and advisory services concerned with animal health and nutrition and allied areas such as food industries, biotechnology and pharmaceutical.
Who should Opt for Ph.D. in Animal Science?
- Post Graduates in the concerned discipline looking out for career in research and development.
- Students who wish to build a career in private practice as Veterinarian.
- Individuals who are deeply committed to animal care.
Ph.D in Animal Science produces scholars with the scientific knowledge and skills required to solve issues related to sustainable and efficient food and fibre supply chains in farms. Departments concerned in Agriculture, Health, Education and Scientific Research are always in demand of such scholars.
Ph.D. in Animal Science; Top Institutes
The course is being run by Government/State Universities across India. Hereunder is a list of the top ones offering the progarmme:
|Institute Name||Location||Fees in INR|
|Central University of Kerala||Kerala||INR 35,855|
|Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University||Lucknow, U.P||INR 14,867|
|Central University of Punjab||Bathinda, Punjab||INR 19,425 (per semester)|
|Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya||Nadia, West Bengal||INR 14,258|
|Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 32,108|
Ph.D. in Animal Science: Eligibility
Candidates, in order to seek admissions to Ph.D. in Animal Science course, must have passed the Master’s Degree or M.Phil in any branch of Life Sciences or Veterinary Sciences with minimum 60% marks or CGPA of 6.0 in the 10 point scale in the qualifying examination, from a recognized Indian or Foreign University
Ph.D. in Animal Science: Admission Process
The selection procedure for admission to Ph.D. in Animal Science in most of the Universities is based on the following procedure:
- All the eligible candidates are required to take the entrance exam conducted by the concerned University Department.
- Those who have cleared exams like ICAR/ ICMR/ CSIR/ DBT/ GPAT/ GATE/ SLET/ JRF or NET are exempted from entrance exams but have to appear in the personal interview.
- Only candidates securing minimum of 50% marks in the entrance exam will be held qualified in the Test.
- All candidates who qualify the test have to appear in personal interview which may also require a Research Proposal Presentation.
The entrance exam usually comprise of 50% questions on research methodology and 50% on the core subject. Students are shortlisted in the order of merit as per the entrance exam might even consider other parameters like Post Graduate degree merit, work experience and contribution in research journals.
Latest Ph.D. (Animal Science) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU )M.Phil. and Ph. D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Krishna University (KU) M.Phil and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) M.Phil. And Ph.D. Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Results, Fees
Ph.D. in Animal Science: Syllabus and Course Description
|Subjects of Study|
|Animal Food Technology|
|Equine Genetics and Reproduction|
|Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics|
Ph.D. in Animal Science: Career Prospects
Completing Ph.D. in Animal Science prepares students for a rewarding, yet challenging career as it concentrates on the health of both domestic animals and wildlife which is very difficult. However, there is a good scope for veterinarians in the coming future as recent statistics show a rise in demand for private veterinary clinics in both small towns and metropolitan cities.
Animal scientists with a research background in genetics, molecular biology or microbiology have decent demand in laboratory work and the biotechnology & pharmaceutical industry. On completing research work or during the Ph.D. in Animal Science coursework scholars may seek employment in various private corporations, pharmaceutical firms, breeding associations, food and feed industries, academic teaching and research institutions, governmental organizations, international agencies, and industrial management.
The most rewarding career opportunity is a private practice which gives good money and it gets better as practitioners win the trust of the pet owners for a lifetime.
|Job Title||Job Description||Salary in INR|
|Veterinarian||Examines domestic animals to detect and analyze health, illnesses or injury. Counsels pet owners about illness and provide treatment when required.||INR 5 Lacs & Above|
|Animal Nutritionist||Counsels pet owners on genetics, nutrition, reproduction, growth, and development of domestic animals. Conducts individual research too.||INR 3 Lacs & Above|
|Research Associate||Gathers, processes and analyzes data or information in fields and subjects of Animal Science. He or she works for a research organization under the supervision of a senior scientist.||INR 3 Lacs & Above|
|Jr. Research Scientist||Conducts research in the field of Animal Science and publishes findings in research journals, books or on electronic media. Remains updated with the developments happening in the current literature and participate in professional conferences.||INR 6 Lacs|