MA History is a 2-year master degree course which is offered by most of the Arts universities in India. The course is offered in both regular mode as well as distance education mode. The basic eligibility for pursuing this course is that the students should have completed their bachelor's degree in history or a history-related course.
Delhi University is very well known for pursuing this course. Some of the top institutes offering this course are:
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi
- Hindu College, New Delhi
- Ramjas College, New Delhi
- Jesus and Mary College, New Delhi
- Banasthali Vidyapith, Jaipur
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
Admissions to most of these institutes are on the basis of cut-off lists released by them. But some universities also conduct entrance tests. BHU Varanasi conducts BHU-PET for admission to its postgraduate courses including MA History.
BHU-PET is scheduled from May 12 to 21, 2019 this year. The application forms can be filled till March 9, 2019
Candidates pursuing this course have to study different subjects like History of India, Ancient History, Medieval History, Economic History, World History, etc. The average tuition fee for this course ranges between INR 10,000-40,000.
After completing this course, students can join colleges, political organizations, ASI, UPSC, Law Organizations, Media Houses, etc. They can work on designations like Editor, Historian, Lecturer, Librarian, Research Associate, etc. The average starting salary ranges between INR 2.5-6 Lakhs.
Top Colleges for Master of Arts [MA] (History)
- Master of Arts [MA] (History) in Tamil Nadu
- Master of Arts [MA] (History) in Maharashtra
- Master of Arts [MA] (History) in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Arts [MA] (History) in Punjab
- Master of Arts [MA] (History) in Rajasthan
MA History: Highlights
|Eligibility for the program||Graduation with History as a core subject|
|Duration of the program||2 years|
|Number of Universities||In hundreds|
|Number of students enrolled in Arts Programs||Over 70 Lakh|
|Average Tuition Fee||INR 10,000-40,000|
|Average Salary (per month)||INR 2.5-6 Lakhs|
|Job Profiles||Historian, Lecturer, Editor, Librarian, Research Associate, etc.|
MA History: What is it about?
MA History is an attempt to supplement the basic knowledge of Ancient Indian Culture in all its parameters. This course provides a thorough understanding of various views of our history and civilization. It helps in encouraging the preservation and management of our heritage.
The program is designed to communicate an understanding of historical incidences and development as well as to convey skills of historical investigation and support the historical imagination. The course teaches students to inquire historically while making use of insights and interpretative methods of other areas, and it seeks to promote a spirit of decisive thinking about modern social questions.
Candidates possessing good intellectual skills and critical analysis abilities should opt for this course. If you want to become curator of museums and heritage sites or join journalism, then you must pursue the course. A linked academic career may tempt you, of course, but History is also one of the most diverse Humanities subjects, with use in a variety of jobs. Candidates who wish to pursue masters in history should know how to research, analyze and present things in a clear and coherent way.
MA History: Top Institutes
|Institute Name||Location||Average Fees (per annum)|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||New Delhi||INR 18,000|
|Miranda House College||New Delhi||INR 15,000|
|Hindu College||New Delhi||INR 16,000|
|Hans Raj College||New Delhi||INR 13,500|
|Ramjas College||New Delhi||INR 12,000|
|Presidency University||Kolkata||INR 2,500|
|Jesus and Mary College||New Delhi||INR 13,500|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||Jaipur||INR 44,000|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||INR 7,500|
|University of Hyderabad||Hyderabad||INR 7,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 3,000|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||INR 24,000|
MA History: Eligibility
Interested aspirants for MA History are required to fulfill the below-mentioned eligibility criteria.
- Completion of Bachelor’s Degree in any faculty or discipline from a recognized university
- Minimum of 50% marks at the level of graduation
- Candidates from Arts background are given preference
- The maximum age of the candidate should not be more than 26 years
MA History: Admission Process
Admission to MA History is done in the below-mentioned 3 ways.
Entrance Test:- Many colleges conduct Entrance exams for admission to this course. The question paper mainly consists of three sections:-
- English Section
- Social Sciences/ Current Affairs
Colleges which provide admission to Masters in History through Entrance Exams are:
- St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
- University of Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
Direct admission- Some colleges also offer direct admission to this course.
Colleges that offer Direct Admission to this course are:
- Stella Maris College
- Vinayak Ganesh Vaze College of Arts
- Osmania University College for Women
- KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce
Lateral entry- Some colleges also offer admission to the second year of this course likeAnnamalai University and Karnataka Open University.
Latest Master of Arts [MA] (History) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
MA History: Distance Learning
There are many colleges which offer this course in distance learning mode too. Jesus and Mary College-[JMC], New Delhi is known for offering MA History part-time course. Some of the institutes which offer MA History distance learning course are:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Mumbai University
- Karnataka State Open University
MA History: Career Prospects
There are lots of gates opened for students who pursue MA History. The major recruiting industries are:
- Political Organizations
- Law Organizations
- Media Agencies
The major job profiles are:
To know the description of these profiles in detail, click here.
Those who want to study further can go for:
- M.Phil. History
- Ph.D. History
- Ph.D. Ancient History
- M.Phil. (Ancient History and Culture)
- Ph.D. Archaeology