Master of Arts in Sociology or MA Sociology is a 2-year post graduate program in Sociology which focuses on an in-depth study of society and its mechanism.For admission to this course, a candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in any stream from a recognized university in India. The average course fee for the program ranges between INR 25,000 to 70,000.
There are more than 1500 Colleges which offer MA courses but fewer colleges which offer an MA program in Sociology. For distance program in MA Sociology, the maximum duration to complete the course is 5 years.
Since, Sociology is a wide and expansive subject, an MA Sociology career options include jobs in a wide array of fields such as Education, Media and Journalism, Public Relations, and Administration. The average starting salary for MA Sociology graduates ranges from INR 15,000 to 25,000 per month.
What is MA Sociology about?
MA Sociology is offered at university level and is a course which provides opportunity to learn about human society, social customs and different social systems on a deeper level. An MA in Sociology is a natural next juncture for students who pursue Sociology at Bachelor level.
MA in Sociology helps a student understand the nuances of the human society. It helps develop an understanding of how human society originated and its various evolutionary stages. An MA in Sociology prepares individuals with a better understanding of the frameworks of societies and communities around the world, thus making them adept at understanding how organizations work in the contemporary setting.
Check MA Sociology syllabus
MA Sociology: Subject Books
|Name of the Book||Author|
|The Sociological Tradition||Nisbet, R.A.|
|The Origins of British Sociology||Abrams, P.|
|Pre-capitalist Economic Formations||Marx, K.|
|The Class Struggle in France (1848-1850)||Marx, K.|
|The Manifesto of the Communist Part||Marx, K. and F. Engels|
|Economy and Society: An outline interpretative sociology||Weber, M|
|The Methodology of the Social Sciences||Weber, M|
|The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capital||Weber, M|
|The Rules of Sociological Method||Durkheim, E|
Top Colleges for Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology)
- Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology) in Uttar Pradesh
- Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology) in Maharashtra
- Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology) in Rajasthan
- Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology) in Uttarakhand
- Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology) in Gujarat
Top Colleges offering MA Sociology
Some of the top universities for MA Sociology are mentioned below.
- Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Annamalai University, Cuddalore
- University of Calcutta, Kolkata
Who should opt for MA Sociology?
A post-graduate course in any discipline adds value to the skills and knowledge of an individual. An MA in Sociology is certainly for those who wish to stand out in the crowd of students with a BA in Sociology. It is also a course perfect for students who wish to enhance their knowledge about how societies work. In modern day world a successful career in any field highly depends upon the knowledge one has about the community around them.
Since MA in Sociology also has elements of research involved in the curriculum, this course is also perfect for students who eye a future career in research based jobs.
Academic Options after MA Sociology
After completion of MA Sociology, candidates can opt for a higher degree in Sociology such as M.Phil. in Sociology and PhD in Sociology. These are research degree which further allow a candidate to specialize in a particular area related to sociology. It also allows a student to research
Eligibility Of the Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology)
The basic eligibility for admission to MA Sociology has been mentioned below.
- Graduation degree in any stream
- Students with Arts and Humanities stream have, however, an advantage
- Minimum pass percentage required varies from 45% to 50%
Students from Science and Education streams should have 60% or above in their graduation degree for admission to MA Sociology course.
How to Get Admission in Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology)
The process of admission to MA Sociology generally starts after the final year/semester examinations are over for Bachelor degree courses. Application forms are released in the months of May and June.
Jawaharlal Nehru University is among the few universities which begin application process in the month of February and March.
Most of the universities conduct an entrance test for admission to Post graduate program in Sociology. Some of the Universities which conduct entrance test for MA Sociology admissions are:
- University of Delhi
- Jamia Millia Islamia University
- Banaras Hindu University
- Aligarh Muslim University
- Ambedkar University
The Entrance test is generally of 1 to 2 hours and is a paper-pen based test. The question paper contains objective and/or subjective type questions. Maximum marks for the test is 100.
The entrance test paper is designed to test a candidates understanding of human society and their capability to analyze situations and events critically and logically. Questions in the test are set from the following topics:
- Indian Society
- Concepts and Theories in Sociology
- Current Affairs
- Methods of Sociological Enquiry
- Processes of social Change
The ideal process for selection is performance in the entrance test. Some universities also give weightage to marks scored in graduation for shortlisting of candidates for admission to the program.
Latest Master of Arts [MA] (Sociology) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
Universities like University of Delhi also have provision for direct admission. Direct admission is generally restricted to BA in Sociology (Honors) degree holders with 55% or above marks. Some of the other universities which provide merit-based direct admission are:
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- Presidency University, Kolkata
- Amity University, Noida
Correspondence Mode of Study for MA Sociology
The correspondence mode of study is ideal for such candidates who for some reason are not able to attend regular classes. Correspondence mode of study is generally in annual system of education and grants student a maximum period of 5 years to complete all the requirements of the curriculum.
Apart from Indira Gandhi National Open University, some other institutes which offer MA Sociology in distance mode are:
- Center for Distance and Open Learning, Jamia Millia Islamia University
- School of Open Learning, University of Delhi
- Annamalai University
- Karnataka State Open University
- Nalanda Open University