Ph.D. International Relations is a 5-year doctorate level degree program in the area of political science with a special focus on International relations. It is the highest level of degree certification that one can obtain under the respective discipline. The minimum eligibility criterion for admission in Post Graduate qualification/M.Phil in the concerned domain.
Some of the popular colleges/universities offering the course are:
- Amity University
- Sikkim University
- Panjab University
- University of Madras
The program has a research and analysis based academic framework which requires the students to go into the entire gamut of the subject in a wholesome and holistic manner aimed at providing detailed knowledge and skills to the students so as to make them well aware of each and every aspect related to the respective discipline.
The fee for Ph.D. International Relations course ranges from 11,000 to 2.4 Lacs across various colleges and universities across the country. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of university that is private/deemed or government
Admissions to the course are based on the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at Post Graduate (PG)/M.Phil level. Apart from the merit-based process certain colleges/universities follow Entrance Test (ET) based admission criteria for the course.
Students can also pursue Ph.D. International Relations course through distance education mechanism in case they are not having the time to pursue the course in full-time. Those who are looking for funding or fellowship for the course have to pass a separate competitive exam (NET) conducted by CSIR and UGC in order to attain the fellowship. Students from minority and reserved communities can apply for the fellowship offered by the side of government. These fellowships can be availed by the students by fulfilling the desired eligibility criteria.
Ph.D. International Relations student can have a variety of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. He/she can make a career in the domain of Diplomacy, research, news industry, political analysis, foreign relation analysis, writing etc. Doctorate qualified students in the subject are well equipped with the knowledge and skill to tackle the work-related aspects of the respective domain.
A fresh pass out can expect a starting salary of anywhere between INR 18,000 to INR 22,000 per month. The average salary range across the country varies with a slight variation here and there.
Top Colleges for Ph.D. (International Relation)
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Delhi-NCR
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Maharashtra
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Chennai
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Phil/Ph.D in Arts in Telangana
Ph.D. International Relations:Course Highlights
|Course Type||Doctorate (P.hD.)|
|Area Concerned||International Relation|
|Duration of Course||3-5 Years|
|Admission process||Merit-based (Based on PG/M.Phil percentage)/ Entrance Test based|
|Structure of Course||Semester-Wise|
|Eligibility||Post Graduation/M.Phil. From any college/university with a minimum of 55% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level.|
|Top recruiting areas||Diplomacy, News Industry, Research, Teaching, Writing etc.|
|Job Profiles||Foreign service officer, News editor, International relation expert, Researcher, Author, Professor, Blogger|
|Course Fee||INR 11,000 to INR 2.4 Lacs|
|Average starting salary||INR 18,000 to INR 22,000|
Ph.D. International Relations: What is it about?
International relations is a specialized domain of study under the ambit of political science that focuses upon the study and analysis of factors, parameters, and elements that shape the relations between countries across the world.
The enhancement of Globalization has expanded the domain and extent of International relations with countries engaging with each other at bi-lateral, multi-lateral and grouping level. In this regards, it becomes important to have experts and personnel that are qualified in the domain to put in their contributions in managing diplomatic ties of the country. Their contributions are required and different levels and different stage of functioning.
Ph.D. International Relations course is structured to deliver an in-depth insight into the subject along with all the possible dimensions which the subject can touch. The students are indulged in research and development on a particular topic related to the domain as a part of their academic curriculum.
Thesis/Report submission are some of the methods through which Ph.D. International Relations students are assessed in terms of their learning an assessment capabilities and at the same time learn about the subject through practical and fieldwork.
Ph.D. International Relations: Top Institutes
A good number of colleges across the country are offering Ph.D. International Relations course to candidates who have passed their PG/M.Phil from a recognized state or central University. Students can take admission in the course either through the Common Entrance Test conducted by colleges/Universities or by applying to the various institutes offering this course based on their performance at the UG level.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|South Asian University||New Delhi||INR 60,500|
|Adamas University||Kolkata||INR 115,350|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 111, 750|
|Central University of Gujarat||Gandhinagar||INR 70,850|
|MGU||Kottayam||INR 64, 465|
|Sikkim University||Gangtok||INR 4,700|
|Panjab University||Chandigarh||INR 1,800|
|Karnataka University||Dharwad||INR 22,200|
|Rajasthan University||Jaipur||INR 32,000|
|University of Madras||Chennai||INR 9, 250|
Interested candidates can make an application for admission to the above-mentioned Universities and colleges. Students can also search for an option in face of institutes offering Ph.D. International Relations course in their local region/region or distance learning option in case they are not willing to relocate for the purpose of their doctorate.
Ph.D. International Relations: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the PG/M.Phil. Examination with at least 55% (45% to 50% for reserved category candidates) from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at PG/M.Phil. the level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable for them.
- Certain Institute take admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET). To get admission in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering Ph.D. International Relations course to the students.
Ph.D. International Relations: Admission Process
Some Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test like Lovely Professional University for admission to Ph.D. International Relations course. Hence, students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective university or college.
- After preparation of final merit list, the process of final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Latest Ph.D. (International Relation) Admission Alert
- JNU Ph.D. Admission 2019: Eligibility, Application Process, Admission Process
- Jamia Millia Islamia Ph.D, M.Phil. Admissions 2019: Login, Application Form
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) Ph.D and M.Phil Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Krishna University (KU) M.Phil and Ph.D Admissions 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- IGNOU M.Phil. and Ph.D. Admission 2019: Entrance Exam, Last Date, Online Application
- EFLU Admissions 2019: Courses, Application Form , Eligibility
Ph.D. International Relations: Syllabus and Course description
The course has a variable time duration of 3 to 5 year and the syllabus is divided into various domain/areas related to the domain of International relation. The detailed description of Ph.D. International Relations syllabus is tabled below for your reference.
|Subject/domain of study|
|Advanced Theory of International Relations|
|Advanced research methods|
|Feminist International Relations|
|Peace and Conflict Studies|
|Feminist International Relations|
|Global Security Governance|
Ph.D. International Relations: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have done their masters in the domain of International Relation
- Those who have a career in foreign services in mind
- Those who are looking for a career in the field of research
- Those looking at a career as an expert/analyst in the domain
Ph.D. International Relations: Career Prospects
Ph.D. International Relations pass outs have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as a Foreign Service officer, News editor, International relation expert, Researcher, Author, Professor, Blogger etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects of Ph.D. International Relations course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where students can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Foreign Service Officer||The job involves working at the secretarial level at ministry and department related to foreign affairs.||INR 7.5-8.5 Lacs|
|News Editor||The job of a news editor would involve dealing with the editing of news items related to foreign affairs and international concerns.||INR 3.24- 3.68 Lacs|
|International relation Expert||An International relation expert is someone who is involved in the task of deliberating and discussing international issues at various forums||INR 3.14 – 3.46 Lacs|
|Professor|| The job involves the teaching of the subject at College/University level||INR 2.90-3.32 Lacs|
|Researcher||A researcher is involved in the analysis and research of trends and patterns in international relations.||INR 2.96- 3.2 Lacs|