B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design is a 3-year undergraduate course, sub-divided into 6 semesters. The discipline is essentially about the art of converting ideas and craftsmanship into entire sequences of processes like textile making, designing, production, and marketing.
The basic minimum eligibility for pursuance of the course is the successful qualification of the Senior Secondary Examination (10+2) from a recognized educational Board.
The average fee charged in India for the course ranges between INR 3 and 12 Lacs, varying across institutes.
Mostly, admission to the course is offered to candidates on the basis of their performance in relevant entrance test, following by a round of counseling.
Successful graduates of the course are hired in areas such as:
- Colleges, universities
- Clothing brands and textile companies
Organizations such as Apparel Export Manufacturing, X&O Clothing Pvt. Ltd., Gucci, H&N, Lifestyle, Asma Husain Fashion House, among such others, hire such graduates.
The average annual initial salary offered to Fashion & Apparel Design graduates ranges between INR 3 and 12 Lacs, increasing with the candidate’s expertise and experience in the field.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Fashion and Apparel Design)
- Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Fashion and Apparel Design) in Karnataka
- B.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- B.Sc in Maharashtra
- B.Sc in Chennai
- B.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- B.Sc in Telangana
B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Minimum Qualification Required||10+2 qualification from a recognized educational Board|
|Admission Procedure||Merit-based/ Based on performance in entrance exam|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Total Course Fee||INR 3 to 10 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||Colleges, Universities, Textile Companies, Famous Brands, Apparel Manufacturing Units, Boutiques, Film Industry, Media Houses, Fashion Magazines, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Lifestyle, X&O Clothing Pvt. Ltd., Indian Institute of Fashion Technology, H&M, Zara, B.K. Retail Pvt. Ltd., Asma Hussain Fashion House, Gucci, Westside, Zoom, Levis, and such.|
|Job Profiles||Designer, Quality Control Manager, Fashion Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Fashion Stylist, Fashion Merchandiser, Product Development Assistant, Fashion Content Developer, among others such.|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 12 Lacs|
|Major Entrance Exams||CEED, NIFT, NEED, SOFT, Pearl Academy of Fashion Entrance Exam, etc.|
B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design: What is it About?
The course has been designed to offer to eligible candidates:
- textile making
- skills for designing a fabric that is trendy, attractive, and unique.
- creative and technical skills to design products, develop patterns, monitor quality control and assurance, and coordinate sourcing activities.
- Advanced learning in apparel-making, patternmaking, and computer-aided design.
Successful graduates of the course interested in going for further studies may pursue M. Sc., Ph. D., M. Phil., etc. in the subject.
B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design: Who should opt?
Eligible students aspiring to pursue the course would ideally possess:
- a creative and artistic mind.
- interest in, and aptitude for designing clothes and accessories which are attractive, unique, and trendy.
- competency in sourcing, selecting and buying fabrics, trims and embellishments.
- creative ability of adapting and improving existing design patterns for mass production. conceptual and analytical skills
- technologically aptitude.
Top Institutes offering B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design
Tabulated below are the names and corresponding details of some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|NAME OF INSTITUTE||CITY||AVERAGE ANNUAL FEES|
|Pearl Academy, New Delhi||New Delhi||INR 3,50,000 (course)|
|JD Institute of Fashion Technology||New Delhi||INR 1,00,000 (course)|
|Global Institute of Fashion Technology||New Delhi||-|
|IIFT, Naraina||New Delhi||INR 40,000 (course)|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Bangalore||Bangalore||INR 2,14,000 (course)|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi||New Delhi||INR 2,20,000 (course)|
|ITM IFDT||Mumbai||INR 1,00,000 (course)|
|Pearl Academy of Fashion, Jaipur||Jaipur||INR 3,00,000 (course)|
|Fergusson College||Pune||INR 3,420 (course)|
|Hans Raj College (HRC)||New Delhi||INR 16,000 (course)|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Mohali||Mohali||INR 2,13,000 (course)|
|Miranda College||New Delhi||INR 17,800 (course)|
|National Institute of Fashion technology (NIFT), Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 2,50,000 (course)|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Hyderabad||Hyderabad||INR 2,10,000 (course)|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID) ||Pune||INR 1,56,000 (course)|
|Gargi College||New Delhi||INR 8,305 (course)|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Hyderabad||Chennai||INR 2,14,000 (course)|
|Elphinstone College||Mumbai||INR 23,188 (course)|
|Hindu College||New Delhi||INR 16,173 (course)|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Kolkata||INR 2,13,000 (course)|
Eligibility for B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design
Candidates wishing to apply for the course need to fulfil the following minimum eligibility criteria
- 10+2 qualification in any stream,completed from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% (50% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Candidates awaiting their 10+2 examination’s results are also eligible to apply on provisional basis.
B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design: Admission Procedure
Most institutes in India offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes also admit students based on the candidate’s obtained merit at the level of graduation, while some conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission, inclusive of a round of counselling.
The round of counseling consists of two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, to assess the candidate’s general aptitude for the course. A merit list is subsequently released by institutes, allotting available seats to qualifying candidates.
Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Some such popular entrance examinations conducted in the country are mentioned below.
- All India Entrance Exam for Design (AIEED)
- Army Institute of Fashion Design (AIFD)
- Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED)
- GD Goenka Design Aptitude Test (DAT)
- GLS Institute of Design Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Art & Design (IIAD) Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Crafts & Design (IICD) Entrance Exam
- IIT Undergraduate Common Entrance Exam for Design (UCEED)
- NIFT Entrance Exam
- NIIFT Mohali Entrance Exam
- NID Kurukshetra Entrance Exam
- Pearl Academy of Fashion (PAF) Entrance Exam
- School of Fashion Technology (SOFT) Entrance Test
- Srishti Entrance & Aptitude Test (SEAT) Entrance Exam
Latest Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Fashion and Apparel Design) Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia UG Admissions 2019
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University (SVVU) BVSc & BFSc Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Dates, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeetha UG Admission 2019: Courses, Application Process, Eligibility
- Maulana Azad University (MANUU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Results, Cut Off, Dates, Fees
- Koneru Lakshmaiah University (KLU) UG Admissions 2019: Courses, Placement, Result, Fees
B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design: Syllabus & Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Language 1||Language 1|
|Language 2||Language 2|
|Fiber & Yarn Science||Fabric Analysis|
|Elements of Design & Fashion||Basics of Garment Construction |
|Basics of Pattern Making & Sewing||Computer Fundamentals|
|Language 1||Language 1|
|Language 2||Language 2|
|Fashion Art & Design||Traditional Textiles Art|
|Pattern Making and Processing||Historic Costumes|
|Wet Processing||Entrepreneurship Development|
|Indian Constitution||Environmental Studies|
|Fashion Accessories||Apparel Quality Assurance|
|Garment Surface Ornamentation||Portfolio Presentation|
|Textile Testing||Non-Woven and Technical Textiles|
|Apparel Production||Apparel Export Documentation|
|Apparel Computer Aided Design||Shop Floor Management|
|Fashion Business Management||Project|
B. Sc. in Fashion & Apparel Design: Career Prospects
With increasing income and growing consumption levels, the market for fashionable clothing continually grows, creating demand for innovative blending of material, pattern, texture, color, stitch, design, accessory, and such.
Qualified Fashion & Apparel Designers, hence, can find lucrative career options in fields such as:
- Textile companies
- Famous brands
- Apparel manufacturing units
- Film industry, Media houses
- Fashion Magazines
- Colleges and universities
- Garment manufacturing/ Export Organizations, etc.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such graduates are listed below, along with the basic job responsibilities and corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|JOB PROFILE||JOB DESCRIPTION||AVERAGE ANNUAL SALARY|
|Fashion Designer||Fashion Designers create designs around ideas, and produce such designs by sketching or using Computer-Aided Design (CAD). They keep up-to-date with emerging fashion and general trends as related to fabrics, colors and shapes. Also, they plan and develop innovative designs working with others in the design team, such as buyers and forecasters, to develop products that meet customer and sales-related goals.||INR 3 to 8 Lacs|
|Quality Control Manager||Quality Control Managers are responsible for ensuring that created products meet quality and efficiency standards set by the organization. They are typically required to possess a Bachelor's degree, and sometimes prior experience in manufacturing or production.||INR 2.5 to 7 Lacs|
|Lecturer||Lecturers develop and deliver art and design classes to students, and undertake teaching duties and the associated functions of preparation, assessment, moderation and curriculum development, etc.||INR 3 to 6 Lacs|
|Fashion Coordinator||Fashion Coordinators are responsible for a wide variety of tasks that are directly associated with fashion coordination, management, and promotional activities.||INR 3 to 8 Lacs|
|Fashion Stylist||Fashion Stylists select accessories and the clothing for published editorial features, music videos, concert performances, print or television advertising campaigns, and any public appearances made by celebrities.||INR 3 to 12 Lacs|
|Fashion Merchandiser||Fashion Merchandisers are responsible for product development, and promotion. They also undertake buying and selling fashion when working for textile manufacturers, designers, or fashion retail outlets.||INR 4 to 8 Lacs|