Master of Arts in French includes a multifaceted way to academically explore on an advanced level, the French culture, language, and history. The course has been designed to educate students about:
- various aspects of French culture.
- a profound comprehension of French literature.
- contextualization of world occasions and linguistic connections.
- appreciation of French media, visual arts, literature and historical studies.
Student enrolled to the course are needed to:
- compose a theory or research paper in either English or French.
- choose any of comparative literature, French culture, or history.
Aspiring students need to have completed graduation in a relevant field, from a recognized university, with a minimum aggregate score of 50%.
|Master of Arts in Delhi||Master of Arts in Maharashtra||Master of Arts in Uttar Pradesh||Master of Arts in Rajasthan|
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Diplomatic Service Professional
- Translator for MNCs and Government Organizations
- Foreign Language Trainer
- Research Associate
- Tourist Guide
- Air Hostess
- Flight Steward
- Freelance Writer
- Attendant at hotels
- Public Relation Officer
- Foreign Language Analyst
- Language Instructional Developer
- Language Teachers
- Textbook Author and Editors
- Research Librarians
- Representative of Foreign Companies
- Foreign Travel Adviser, etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 5 Lacs for a span of 2 years.
In India, Foreign Trade postgraduates on an average are offered an annual salary ranging between INR 4 and 6 lacs, increasing with experience and skillset.
Top Colleges for Master of Arts [MA] (French)
- MA in Delhi-NCR
- MA in Maharashtra
- MA in Chennai
- MA in Uttar Pradesh
- MA in Telangana
M.A. in French: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Semester System/Year wise|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Based on performance in entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 to 5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 8 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Accenture, Evalueserve, Wipro, Fiserv, TCS, Tech Mahindra, Infosys, Kuliza, Scabbard, RBI (Reserve Bank of India), Ministry of External Affairs, FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization), UNO (United Nations Organization), etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges & Universities, Language Departments, French Bilingual Offices, Translation/Data Offices, Embassies (embassies), MNCs, and such.|
|Job Positions||Diplomatic Service Professional, Translator for MNCs and Government Organizations, Foreign Language Trainer, Research Associate, Tourist Guide, Interpreter, Air Hostess or Flight Steward, Freelance Writer, Translator, Interpreter, Attendant at hotels, Public Relation Officer, Foreign Language Analyst, Language Instructional Developer, Language Teachers, Textbook Author and Editors, Research Librarians, Representative of Foreign Companies, Foreign Travel Adviser, among others.|
M.A. in French: What is it About?
This course offers to eligible candidates:
- specialization in French language, literature and culture.
- Choice from among a variety of subjects, namely:
- Contemporary French society.
- One additional foreign language (Italian/Spanish/German/Arabic).
- French grammar and other aspects of it as it is necessary for smooth functioning of course.
Top Institutes offering M.A. in French
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees (INR)|
|University of Lucknow||LUCKNOW||INR 60,000|
|Garden City University||BANGALORE||INR 1,20,000|
|The IIS University||JAIPUR||INR 37,580|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University -||NEW DELHI||INR 367|
|University of Calcutta||KOLKATA||INR 1,694|
|Osmania University||HYDERABAD||INR 2,245|
|Pondicherry University||PONDICHERRY||INR 11,725|
|Amity University||NOIDA||INR 2,32,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||VARANASI||INR 2,907|
|OPJS University||CHURU||INR 17,600|
|Jiwaji University||GWALIOR||INR 6,240|
|University of Rajasthan||JAIPUR||INR 3,285|
|Goa University||NORTH GOA||INR 10,535|
|Madurai Kamaraj University||MADURAI||INR 3,690|
|University of Madras||CHENNAI||INR 3,578|
|Panjab University||CHANDIGARH||INR 15,065|
|Karnatak University||DHARWAD||INR 3,570|
|Bangalore University||BANGALORE||INR 5,820|
|Chandernagore Goverment College||CHANDANNAGAR||INR 1,285|
|Kanchi Mamunivar Centre For Post Graduate Studies||PONDICHERRY||INR 11,725|
Eligibility for M.A. in French
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfil the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Graduationcompleted in any stream, from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
|Master of Arts in Tamil Nadu||Master of Arts in Madhya Pradesh||Master of Arts in Andhra Pradesh||Master of Arts in Assam|
M.A. in French: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course in India admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by a subsequent round of counselling. The round of counselling consists of two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein the candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined.
Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Some such entrance exams are:
- IGNOU Entrance Exam
- Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Entrance Exam
- University of Madras Entrance Exam
- Panjab University Entrance Exam
- Alagappa University Entrance Exam
- Andhra University Entrance Exam
- Assam University Entrance Exam
- Berhampur University Entrance Exam
- Goa University Entrance Exam
- University of Pune Entrance Exam
- Gujarat University Entrance Exam
- Aligarh Muslim University Entrance Exam
- Guru Nanak Dev University Entrance Exam
- Jamia Millia Islamia University Entrance Exam
- Lucknow University Entrance Exam
- Agra University Entrance Exam
- Banaras University Entrance Exam
- Shivaji University Entrance Exam
- Sikkim Manipal University Entrance Exam
- Lovely Professional University Entrance Exam
- Patna University Entrance Exam
- University of Burdwan Entrance Exam
- Osmania University Entrance Exam
- Bangalore University Entrance Exam
- University of Mumbai Entrance Exam
- Barkatullah University, Bhopal Entrance Exam
- Tata institute of social sciences Entrance Exam
- Amity University Entrance Exam
- Annamalai University Entrance Exam
- Madurai Kamraj University Entrance Exam
- Mangalore University Entrance Exam
- University of Calicut Entrance Exam
Latest Master of Arts [MA] (French) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University (SKU ) PG Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
M.A. in French: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|History of French Literature 19th Century||History of 20th Century French Literature|
|Introduction to Linguistics||History of France|
|French Novel & French Poetry||French Drama|
|Use of French||Origin of Literature in French|
|Introduction to Literary Analysis of Fiction and Poetry||Evolution of French poetry and Novel as genre|
|Linguistic Approach to Translation||Comparative Literature|
|Study of Literary Schools or Movements||M.A. dissertation|
|Didactic of French as a foreign language||Viva-voce|
|Canadian Literature||Introduction to Francophone Literature|
|History of Art in France||Interpretative theory of Translation : New approaches to Translation based on the theory of Interpretation|
|Introduction to Translation Studies||-|
M.A. in French: Career Prospects
Popular areas of employment for such postgraduates include:
- teaching jobs in school and colleges.
- diplomatic positions
- translation services
- Public Relation & mass communication
- social work
- public relations
- travel industry
- library service
- international organizations.
Such professionals are required in:
- Food and agriculture organization
- Ministry of External Affairs
- United Nations Organization
- Reserve Bank of India.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Translator||Translators language-wise change data from one language into another language. Translators work in spoken or sign language, composed or written language. They speak, read, and write fluently in at least two languages, including English and one or more others. Also, they relay the style and tone of the original language, and manage work schedules to meet deadlines.||4,02,092|
|Foreign Language Teachers||Foreign Language Teachers instruct candidates to speak, grasp, and write in a foreign language. They also provide instruction in a specific culture, and mostly give information about the literature of other countries where the language is spoken.||4,20,000|
|Tourist Guide||Tourist Guides are in charge of helping individuals visit new regions. They ordinarily make special trips with groups of tourists to show them tourist spots and help them visit popular areas.||6,00,333|
|Air Hostesses or Flight Attendant||Air hostesses are in charge of thousands of people’s travel experiences and safety every week. Their duties run from demonstrating safety procedures, to serving meals and drinks to passengers. Some even enable apprehensive travelers to unwind, for example, when turbulence is high.||6,00,100|
|Freelance Writer||A Freelance Writer is in charge of writing articles or books, on project basis or freelance basis. A Freelance Writer ordinarily reports to an altering administrator or the central Editorial Manager.||2,43,264|