M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a 2-year postgraduate course in Pharmaceutical Chemistry- the study of drugs and drug development. The discipline includes concepts and processes of drug discovery, delivery, absorption, metabolism, and such. Pharmaceutical Chemistry also involves elements of Biomedical Analysis, Pharmacology, Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacodynamics.
Pharmaceutical Chemistry-related work is usually based in lab settings. The course components include an advanced study of:
- Drug-based cures and remedies for disease
- Analytical techniques
- Pharmacology and metabolism
- Quality assurance and drug chemistry
- Development of life-saving remedies
- Enhancement of the speed of delivery of new medications.
The course can be pursued both full-time and in the distance mode in India, and the course’s syllabus is divided across four semesters.
As a minimum criterion of eligibility, candidates aspiring for admission to the course are needed to have completed graduation (B.Sc.) from a recognized university.
Such postgraduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Scientist, Professor
- Researcher, Research Executive
- Quality Control & Quality Assurance Analyst
- Scientific Data Entry Specialist
- Patent Analyst
- Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst, etc.
The average tuition fee charged for the course in India ranges between INR 5000 and 2 Lacs for a span of 2 years. The average annual salary offered to such postgraduates in India ranges between INR 25,000 and 40,000, increasing with experience and skillset.
Top Colleges for Master of Science [M.Sc] (Pharmaceutical Chemistry)
- Master of Science [M.Sc] (Pharmaceutical Chemistry) in Uttarakhand
- M.Sc in Delhi-NCR
- M.Sc in Maharashtra
- M.Sc in Chennai
- M.Sc in Uttar Pradesh
- M.Sc in Telangana
M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester/Annual System|
|Eligibility||B.Sc. completed from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on performance in entrance test|
|Course Fee||INR 1,000 to 2 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 12 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Value Edge Research, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories, eValueserve, IMS Health, Jubilant, Biocon, Parexel, NCBS, TIFR, Indian Institute of Technology, Gratisol labs limited, Hygro Chemicals Pvt. Ltd., Novartis Healthcare Pvt. Ltd., Syngene International Limited, Hemmo Pharmaceuticals Private limited, Bakson Drugs Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd., Locusera Solutions Pvt Ltd., etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Pharmaceutical industry, colleges & universities, biotechnological companies, chemical or biomedical industries, scientific industries, govt./ pvt. hospitals, defense services, and such.|
|Job Positions||Scientist, Research, Officer, Research Executive, Professor, Quality Control & Quality Assurance Analyst, Scientific Data Entry Specialist, Patent Analyst, Pharmaceutical Patent Analyst, Assistant Manager, etc.|
M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry: What is it About?
As an academic discipline, M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry combines the disciplines of biological, medical, and physical sciences towards an investigation of medication and its treatment. The course’s curriculum covers components of study such as:
- chemical nature of the reactions and interactions involved in drug therapy.
- facets of chemistry which are most relevant to drugs
- physical, organic, and analytical chemistry.
- foundational aspects of the manufacture, synthesis, use, and mode of action of drugs.
M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would possess:
- skills in Information Technology
- aptitude for research and analysis
- project management skills
- time management and organizational skills
- ability to critically evaluate data
- interpersonal and team-work abilities.
Top Institutes offering M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Listed below are some of the top institutes in India that offer the course.
|Name of Institute||City|| Average Fees|
|Loyola College, Chennai||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 5,953|
|St. Xavier's College, Mumbai||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 13,708|
|Christ University, Bangalore||Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 77,500|
|Madras Christian College - [MCC], Chennai||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 14,572|
|The Oxford College of Science - [TOCS], Bangalore||Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 40,000|
|Stella Maris College, Chennai||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 24,343|
|Fergusson College, Pune||Pune, Maharashtra||INR 4,698|
|Hans Raj College - [HRC], New Delhi||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 12,327|
|Presidency College, Chennai||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 925|
|Miranda House College, New Delhi||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 14,170|
|Mount Carmel College - [MCC], Bangalore||Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 42,400|
|St. Xavier's College - [SXC], Kolkata||Kolkata, West Bengal||INR 73,100|
|Sri Venkateswara College, New Delhi||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 10,976|
|Gargi College, New Delhi||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 7,591|
|St Joseph's College Devagiri, Calicut||Calicut, Kerala||INR 4,500|
|St Francis College for Women, Hyderabad||Hyderabad, Telangana||INR 4,520|
|Hindu College, New Delhi||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 12,327|
|Ramnarain Ruia College, Mumbai||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 13,960|
|Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 20,000|
|Acharya Narendra Dev College, New Delhi||New Delhi,||INR 7,486|
Eligibility for M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Candidates wishing to apply for the course need to fulfil the following eligibility criteria
- Graduation (B.Sc.), completed from a recognized university.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of graduation.
- Candidates awaiting their graduation-level examination’s results are also eligible to apply on provisional basis.
M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test.Often, some institutes offer admission to the course based on the candidate’s obtained merit at the level of graduation.
Some institutes conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
Some such entrance tests held in the country for admission to the course are:
- Acharya Nagarjuna University M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Annamalai University M.Sc. in Chemistry Entrance Examination
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU) M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Calicut University M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Cochin University of Science and Technology Common Admission Test
- Department of Chemistry, University of Pune M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Indian Institute of Science M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance exam
- Indian Institute of Technology Joint Admission Test (IIT JAM)
- Jadavpur University M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Kerala University M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Kuvempu University M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Madurai Kamraj University M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Mahatma Gandhi University M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
- Osmania University M.Sc. Chemistry Entrance Exam
Latest Master of Science [M.Sc] (Pharmaceutical Chemistry) Admission Alert
- JNU MA, M.Sc, MCA & MBA Admission 2019: Courses, Application Form, Eligibility, Entrance Exam
- Telangana University (TU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Time Table, Results
- Jamia Millia Islamia PG Admissions 2019: Course, Fees, Result, Login, Entrance Exams
- Sri Venkateswara University (SVU) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Results
- Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences (SVIMS) PG Admission 2019: Courses, Merit List, Fees
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (SSSIHL) MA and M.Sc Admissions 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Advanced Organic Chemistry||Phyto-chemistry Lab|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry I||Communicative English II (Common to M.Sc., M.C.A.)|
|Chemical & Instrumental Methods of Drug Analysis||Process Chemistry in Pharmaceutical Industry|
|Organic Synthesis Lab||Medicinal Chemistry|
|Medicinal Chemistry Lab||Analytical Techniques in Chemistry|
|Communicative English I (common to M.Sc., M.C.A.)||Computer Application/Basics (Common to Organic Chemistry)|
|Advanced Chromatographic Techniques||Computer Application/Basics Lab|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry II||Chemical Methods of Drug Analysis Lab|
|Bio Organic Chemistry (common to organic chemistry)||Pharmaceutical Quality Control and Quality Assurance|
|Phyto-chemistry (Common to Organic Chemistry)||Enzyme Technology|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry Lab||Project Work|
M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry: Career Prospects
Successful postgraduates of M.Sc. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry are lucratively employed in chemical and petroleum industries. Another career option is teaching for such postgraduates.
Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a major part of the evolving field of medical technology, and chemists are greatly sought by the pharmaceutical industry for their skills in analyzing and manipulating the properties of medicine.
Chemists are mostly employed in:
- pharmaceutical industries
- research institutes
- schools and government laboratories
- manufacturing industries
- food processing and beverage industries
- industries manufacturing cheese, noodles, jams, biscuits and such readymade food items.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
|Research Scientist||Research Scientists are responsible for analyzing, designing, planning, and undertaking data from controlled lab-based examinations, investigations, trials, and experiments. They design and carry out experiments and examinations in a scope of zones, including Geoscience, Medical Research, Meteorology, and Pharmacology.||6,83,993|
|Research Officer||Research Officers and Managers work with team members to identify project goals, research methods, variables, and other test parameters. They also choose how to collect data and offer recommendations on evaluating the project. Research Officers and Managers often make research schedules to monitor the activities of research teams.||6,32,343|
|Professor||Professors teach courses in their subject area. They work with aspirants who are studying for a degree/certificate/certification or are taking classes to enhance their knowledge.||7,18,230|
|Data Entry Specialists||Data Entry Specialists essentially enter or update data into a computer system. Data are regularly entered into computers from paper reports utilizing keyboards, data recorders, or optical scanners.||4,98,560|
|Assistant Manager||Assistant Managers are responsible for employing and training Sales Associates, for monitoring inventory, and ordering stock based on demand. They assist the Retail Store Manager in planning and implementing strategies to attract customers and in tracking the progress of weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual objectives.||5,81,461|