Bachelor of Dental Surgery or BDS course is an undergraduate course in the field of dentistry. This course helps an aspirant to become a dentist.
The duration of BDS degree ranges from 3 years to 5 years. The variation in duration is due to necessity of an internship or a lack thereof. The course can be pursued either in full time mode or in part time mode through correspondence. India has about 300 dental colleges which offer BDS course.
The eligibility for this undergraduate course is scoring a minimum of 50% in senior secondary examination with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English. The average tuition fee of BDS course ranges from INR 50,000 to INR 12 lacs. A candidate needs to take an entrance test to take admission to this dentistry degree.
There is a rising demand for dental surgery graduates in areas like research institutes, private practice, dental product manufacturers, dental clinics, hospital, pharmaceutical companies, educational institutes and dental equipment manufacturer. It is the most sought after course in medical stream after MBBS. Career opportunities after BDS include clinical practice as a dentist, higher education i.e. pursuing MDS, teaching or research or government doctor. There is a vast scope for dental surgeons in India and abroad.
Check BDS Course Career Options and Jobs
BDS Course: What is it About?
BDS course is focused on training students with knowledge and skills related to general dental practices to treat, prevent and diagnose oral diseases. Some colleges offer internships as a part of the course. However, it is mandatory for every student passing the final BDS examination to undergo a paid rotating internship for a year in a dental college.
This dentistry course teaches the students various treatments such as Oral Medicine and Radiology, Dental Materials, Surgical Procedures, Pedodontics, Oral Pathology, Dental Anatomy and Oral Histology and Community Dentistry. This course is available both full time and part time as per the choice of student.
Check BDS Course Syllabus
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS]
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] in Karnataka
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] in Tamil Nadu
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] in Punjab
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] in Maharashtra
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] in Uttar Pradesh
BDS Course: Who Should Opt?
Students who aim to serve the society can fulfill their dream by pursuing BDS degree. The candidates having good physical stamina are fit for this course. All aspirants having an interest in making a career in dentistry are made for this course. This course requires the type of students who have a strong mind and can cope with the obnoxious smell and sight during physical examination. Having patience and calm mind are minimum requirements for someone to be trained as a surgeon.
Top Colleges Offering BDS Course
Some of the top colleges offering BDS course are:
- Maulana Azad Medical College
- Seth G.S. Medical College
- University of Mumbai
- University of Delhi
- Manipal University
- Goa University
- Sumandeep Vidyapeeth University
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences
- Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University
Academic Options after BDS Course
Students can go for further studies enhancing their CV by pursuing post graduation in dentistry. Dental surgery graduates can pursue Master of Dental Surgery to gain specializations such as operative dentistry, prosthodontics, oral medicine and radiology, periodontology and oral implantology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, conservative, endodontics and aesthetic dentistry.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] graduates can take lateral entry into third year of MBBS.
Eligibility Of the Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS]
For BDS course, the minimum eligibility criteria is mentioned below.
- Passing senior secondary examination with an aggregate score of 50% from a recognized board or equivalent examination
- It is required to have Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English as subjects in 12th class
The admissions are taken by conducting entrance tests. The candidates with their senior secondary examination results awaited are welcomed to apply for this course.
How to Get Admission in Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS]
The candidates need to pass entrance exam to secure their place for the course. The most common entrance for the same is AICET BDS. Other than this exam, there are exams like NEET, MU OET, DUMET, AIPMT and COMEDK.
Further selection process is conducted as per the specific norms of the university. There are many universities which go for a counseling process for selection.
Latest Bachelor of Dental Surgery [BDS] Admission Alert
- Jamia Millia Islamia B.D.S. and B.P.T. Admissions 2019
- Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS) MBBS & BDS Admission 2019: Courses, Dates, Placement, Fees
- Christian Medical College (CMC) Ludhiana MBBS AND BDS Admission 2019: Courses, Eligibility, Fees
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU) MBBS & BDS Admission 2019: Registration, Cut Off, Merit List, Fees
- KUHS MBBS, BDS & B.Pharm. Admission 2019
- Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) MBBS BDS Admission 2019
The top entrance exams conducted for BDS degree are:
- AICET BDS: This test is conducted for admissions in the field of dental science for admission in the private colleges for Chhattisgarh. Questions from Physics, Botany, Zoology and Chemistry
- NEET: NEET is a qualifying entrance examination for admission in medical courses. It is accepted by institutes like Banaras Hindu University and Armed Forces Medical College.
- MP DMAT: Conducted by APDMC every July in Madhya Pradesh, it is a test that offers entry into a career in the medical field. The questions asked in entrance test are from Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
The selection process varies from university to university. Some of the universities take admission only on the basis of scores in the relevant entrance exams. However, there are some universities which may go for a counseling procedure.