Categories

See More
Popular Forum

MBA (4887) B.Tech (1769) Engineering (1486) Class 12 (1030) Study Abroad (1004) Computer Science and Engineering (988) Business Management Studies (865) BBA (846) Diploma (746) CAT (651) B.Com (648) B.Sc (643) JEE Mains (618) Mechanical Engineering (574) Exam (525) India (462) Career (452) All Time Q&A (439) Mass Communication (427) BCA (417) Science (384) Computers & IT (Non-Engg) (383) Medicine & Health Sciences (381) Hotel Management (373) Civil Engineering (353) MCA (349) Tuteehub Top Questions (348) Distance (340) Colleges in India (334)
See More

How to talk with an employer to get time to look for other opportunities

Career Talk Job Search Queries

Max. 2000 characters
Replies

usr_profile.png

User

( 3 months ago )


I got through the final stage with a company in Germany and they told me they got a very good impression of me, but they “need more time to clarify the budget available to hire me” and they “might be able to hire me in the beginning of February” (about 2 months from now).

The company also gave me a good impression, but my plans recently changed as I would like to try my luck in Canada and if I don’t try now my work permit will expire.

How can I talk to the company to keep a good relationship so that I could reach out to them again in a few months in case Canada goes wrong? Should I tell them about my plans to go to Canada and the work permit expiration matter or should I tell them in a more subtle way that I need time to think or to look for other opportunities?

Since the company mentioned starting to work in February and they didn’t show me any contract yet I guess I could leverage on this.

usr_profile.png

User

( 3 months ago )

You mention that you have no contract from the employer in Germany yet. Hence, you are under no obligation to them, and have no obligation to tell them anything.

In other words, you can and should continue pursuing any other opportunities you're interested in, up until the point at which you sign a contract accepting an offer.

If they come back and make an actual offer, with a contract (or the intent to provide one), at that point you can evaluate the specifics and decide to accept the offer, or keep looking. But until that happens, it's open season. They may come back to you tomorrow, or in 6 weeks, or never. If you're seriously considering staying in Canada, there's no reason to spur them into action by giving them any info at all.

what's your interest


forum_ban8_5d8c5fd7cf6f7.gif